Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

OIL leak suddenly got a lot worse

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OIL leak suddenly got a lot worse

Hello folks, I am new to this, but a long time Toyota owner. I own a 1992 4-Runner V6 manual Xmission 4WD with 192K miles on it. I just had the fuel injectors and Fuel pressure regulator replaced last week. That solved my dropoff in gas mileage and the engine sometimes dying or being difficult to start. But here is the problem: For the last year it had a minor oil leak from rear main seal. Over 24 hours it might drop a half dozen silver dollar size spots of oil, which I was more than willing to live with. Next day or two after the work was done on the fuel system I noticed that oil was pooling under the truck but just a little back of where the spots normally were. And it is pooling, looks like an ounce or two of oil. This is in just over 8 hours as it sits in the lot where I work. Is it just coincidence that the seal leak got worse right after the fuel system work was done, or did the mechanic do something or forget to do something when he put things back together? I'd like to know what might have happened before I go storming back to the mechanic to complain. What could have happened? Thanks for any help.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Well, where exactly is it dripping from, between the bellhousing and the block?

I'd try to wipe everything down really good, start it up and let it run to normal operating temp, then check for any obvious leaks. If there are none, let it sit for a few hours, then check again. If it looks like it's from where the trans and block meet up, it's probably just the rear main and coencidence that it got worse around the same time. You'd have to pull the trans out, and remove the flywheel to be 100% sure. Since it a manual, you'll probably get a bit of chatter while letter off the clutch too if the oil has gotten all over the clutch plate and flywheel mating surfaces. If that goes for too long, you can ruin the clutch too.

Now if it looks like it's coming from up higher, more or less around the top of the heads or intake area, then I'd take it back to who you had do your fuel system, and say "looky here".

The first step of fixing an oil leak it finding out excatly where it's coming from...

I'm not really familiar with the 3.0 myself; I'm a 22re guy, but I'm sure someone else will chime in with some more info.

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 06-04-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THank you. Will try that.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
X2 on cleaing everything up first. Oil can blow around and look like its coming from where its not.After cleaning watch for leaks. Start around the top and make sure its not something leaking down then blowing around.Could be avalve cover or something simple.Get it clean first...Good luck