86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil leak after new timing set???

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak after new timing set???

Everything went pretty good with the timing set installation, buttoned her up and she started right up, no timing issues or anything..... After a short drive, rechecked everything and found some oil pooling around the oil pump release valve? Now, I just got the oil pump and components from ENGBLDER, and I bolted it right up to the cover without messing with it all... Has this ever happened to anyone? I know It's possible the oil is coming from the gasket right above that area, but it doesn't look like it...Possible bad relief valve? What do you guys think....?

Thanks..

C-MAC
Old 10-18-2010, 03:29 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
you didn't pinch the oil pumps o-ring did you?
Old 10-18-2010, 04:14 PM

Nah, the oil ring went on just fine.... Like I said its either coming from the top of the relief valve or the gasket surface that's above the relief valve....? I'm gonna try tightening the bolt just below it a little more... Has anyone ever had an oil leak from the relief valve???

Thanks
Old 10-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
you didn't pinch the oil pumps o-ring did you?
it went on perfect, i know because im the one that did it lol
Old 10-18-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
it went on perfect, i know because im the one that did it lol
Old 10-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Banned

so when are you coming up to offroad with us? i need someone else to pull me out when i get stuck in 3 feet of mud! lol
Old 10-18-2010, 04:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine has a leak too but I'm not sure where from....and I'm too lazy to check right now...but I THINK, it's from the bolt that goes into the middle of the oil pump, through the timing cover, and into the block. What I didn't do was goop that sucker up with RTV before torquing it down. Did you?
Old 10-18-2010, 04:54 PM

ha, yur not too far away, don't tempt me. lol.

x2 on gooping that bolt that was gonna be my next thing mentioned.

oh and your not leaking right around the headgasket seal are you? probably good to get an inspection mirror to look up in there as it's a PITA to see in that spot.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:53 PM

Yes there is also a little spot right below the hidden bolt that is dripping, but I knew that would happen....We had to improvise with the head gasket area, but I plan on fixing that soon.. The leak that bothers me is the one around the relief valve.. I just don't like messing to much with the bolts cause Ive seen them strip the aluminum threads off many times, and that's a pain. The less loosening and tightening of those bolts, the better. I'm sure I will end up having to take all the stuff off and mess around with the oil pump though...Never a dull moment working on engines.....
Old 10-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Philbert
Mine has a leak too but I'm not sure where from....and I'm too lazy to check right now...but I THINK, it's from the bolt that goes into the middle of the oil pump, through the timing cover, and into the block. What I didn't do was goop that sucker up with RTV before torquing it down. Did you?
Ooh good place for me to check for my very very slow leak (like a few drops at a time per drive) Although again it could be that the RTV wasn't done all that well on the spot that Valve Clatter is talking about...
Old 10-19-2010, 07:31 AM

Does anyone have a good way to temporarily seal a leak between the head gasket and top of the timing case??? The reservoir where the hidden bolt goes into, is leaking down down the front of the case after I shut the engine off...I figure ill drain the oil from the area, clean it up good and put some sealant or JB weld on the outside of the case , and add some RTV around the bold head on the inside... Any thoughts?

Thanks C-Mac
Old 10-19-2010, 07:34 AM

had that problem before, never did get it fixed. pretty much tried everything. although I did completely toast that part of the headgasket. That's what I get for doing it in the dark. lol. You can also try loosening up all the bolts that hold the cover in place so it is able to move around a little and tighten up on that "hidden bolt" as well.

oh and when you did this, did you use a sleeve-n-seal on the balancer? You should have as it usually develops a groove in it and will leak between the pulley and oil pump/front seal. Did you also use a new seal on the oil pump or was it a new pump with a seal in it already? If you need a new front seal I think I got an extra one laying around.

Oh and like I tell 92 Toy which seams to work, don't make me come up there. lol.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 10-19-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 AM

Yea, all new pumps, with seals/gaskets...The balancer wasn't grooved bad, and the seals ENGBLDR has in the pumps, is a different thickness which accounts for the typical balancer grooving, and it sealed up just fine...I actually have a couple extra seals now too, but I appreciate the offer. Like I said, JB weld on the outside of the cover, and a little RTV around the head of the hidden bolt should do the trick.....I hope...lol...

C-Mac
Old 10-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
ha, yur not too far away, don't tempt me. lol.
oh im ganna tempt you, we dont have too many good spots but if your coming up well have to do some exploring, its my last semester here then ill be student teaching on LI so you only have another month and a half

if you come up ill make sure to have a nice new 30 rack waiting
Old 10-26-2010, 01:51 PM

So Nobody has ever had an oil pump relief valve leak on them them after a new installation? The truck got over 200K on it, and I can;t imagine the oil pressure is that good where it would be cause the valve to open and leak.... Any ideas???

C-Mac
Old 10-26-2010, 07:27 PM

When I did my timing I didn't do the balancer sleeve thinking the groove was small enough to be insignificant. I could just barely feel it with my finger but it was enough to leak. You sure it's not leaking and collecting up there somehow? Oil goes weird places from that spot...
Old 10-26-2010, 07:54 PM

when you guys talk about this grooving problem what do you mean? i just replaced my timing chain and got the gasket set without the sleeve n seal thing
Old 10-26-2010, 07:57 PM

around the crank pulley the part that slides inside the oil pump/front crank seal.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:55 PM

hmm didnt even think to check mine out. it wasn't leaking before i did the timing chain. i hope its alright. i hear those speedy sleeves are a pain in the ass to put on, and if you dont put it on right it leaks worse than before.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:37 AM

mine didn't leak either until I changed my oil pump a while back and used a new seal. and like i said the groove was so small i didn't think there could be a problem, but it did leak. the sleeve that comes in the fel-pro timing gasket set is nice - it has a little lip so you can't put it on too far, and it's soooo thin as long as its on there i don't know how it could be screwed up. i tapped it on with a block of wood and a hammer. you'd really have to try to mess it up... just don't hit it too hard!

Quick Reply: Oil leak after new timing set???