86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil leak, 3VZE, pass side, oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak, 3VZE, pass side, oil cooler?

First let me say that I have searched quite a bit, just wanted to confirm what I think is leaking.

It looks as though in the FSM that the oil cooler on the passenger side of the engine has a small round setup for coolant and hoses to attach? I'm thinking this is the source of my leak.

I used UV dye and am not seeing a whole lot around the pan seal, but the bellhousing is drenched and it appears to mainly be coming from the right side. I'm not thinking its the rear main, although it could be, but the metal trans lines that come around the right side, and pretty much the entire right side is leaking pretty badly, more than 2-2.5 per oil change (5K miles).

I'm going to investigate further, because I cannot see very clearly where it's leaking, but I'd like to get it on a lift and check. Is this fairly common? Also, can it be changed with the engine still in, or I guess what I'm really asking is, how difficult is this to change with the engine in?

Thanks for reading
Old 02-22-2011, 09:26 AM

Sounds like you have the same problem that I just fixed on my 3.0 liter recently. My exhaust manifolds and tranny were covered in months worth of a constant little oil leak. I found it to be rear part of the valve covers were leaking. They wear out after a few years, so I would check there.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My oil cooler is on the driver's side, pretty sure that's consistent throughout the 3.0's so I doubt it's that. Check the valve cover seals and rear cam seals (correct name???) but first, buy a $2 inspection mirror and look all over/under/around the engine.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:07 AM

Ok, once I pulled out the FSM I realized that I was wrong about the oil cooler.. there is very little dye around the lip of the oil pan, I think the seal there is still ok, ssatisfactory anyway. The oil leak has gotten worse over the last few months I think.

I probably should have mentioned that last year about this time I had the top end apart for the valve cover gaskets, I didn't replace the fronts, but I did replace the rear cam seals, "half moons" is what they were called. I torqued it all to spec according to the FSM, but I did use Felpro for the covers and Rock Auto parts for the rear seals. I will investigate them a little closer, but I think they were dry last I checked. The oil does seem to be forward some on the engine, there is dye on the trans lines and other components all over the right side of the engine. I will post updates next time I have a few minutes to climb under it.

Is it common for the LIM gasket to leak? How about the heads themselves? Will they leak oil? Its running all over the bottom of the bellhousing, but the pan looks pretty dry. I will give those seals another once over, I bought the FIPG black in anticipation of it being the OP. So I will buy toyota parts this time I guess if its the seals and cover gasket. Thanks for the input
Old 02-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Banned

i have the same oil leak your describing on my 95 3vz. the entire rear of my motor and bellhousing are covered in oil. im thinking it is the valve cover gaskets as well.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:39 AM

I have been having problems with a rough start-up, and this is starting to maybe make some sense. I haven't checked yet but will this weekend, but in the mornings and sometimes when warm the truck starts and idles rough for about 30 seconds, once it seems to run a bit or I rev it up some it goes away. I'm thinking that the oil is running onto the spark plug, possibly causing this problem?

I will definitely post a few pics whenI find the source. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Im with the "valve cover gaskets" guys... especially if u have rough start, or rough idle issues... those gaskets dont just keep the oil in... they also keep extra air out...

When u replaced the vc gaskets... did u also use some rtv silicone? The first time I changed mine, I did NOT use any, and they leaked.. took those puppies off again, coated lightly with some rtv, and voila... problem solved. Been 2 years now, and still no leaks... not from the valve cover gaskets anyway...lol

Last edited by Team420; 02-24-2011 at 04:31 AM.