Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

oil consumption and blue smoke

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil consumption and blue smoke

I have written few post already and I really hope you guys can help me one more time. I bought a 87 4runner with a blown piston last may and I've had rebuilt engine installed after couple of weeks. Since day 1 I had problems:

1) the very 1st day driving the truck back home coolant started pissing from the upper radiator hose: the guy never changed the hoses!
2) the truck has been burning oil since forever. According to the guy who installed the engine first was just the loose head (braking in) but that problem was still there after he re-torqued the bolts.
3) that he came up with an other reason: valve seal. He said that because I have noticed blue smoke after driving dowhill. Apparently he fixed that. While he was dealing with that he called me and said that he was changing also a ring because when the radiator hose went loose one of the pistons ring was affected by that.
4) ˟˟˟˟ty idle. Thanks to Terrys87 I fixed that. The intake manifold was covered by black residue, the throttle body wasn t closing properly and the egr valve was totally clogged.

What really gives me headache is the oil consumption and the blue smoke. Specially the blue smoke is not really noticeable when you re driving. You can barely see it when the truck is idling but yesterday when I went chasing the snow, again crazy blue smoke after driving downhill.
Now other than give the guy who sold me the engine a nice pair of concrete boots and a free ride to the lake, what can I do?
It seems that my problem are the valve seals again (blue smoke after driving downhill and when the engine revs up) but how can I test that and how can i make sure the rings are ok? Compression test seems not to be 100% accurate to diagnose bad rings.
And what will be my best option if the cause of everything is the head? fix the valve seals of just put a new head?

Thanks for your time
Old 11-12-2015, 09:18 AM

If is burning oil and there is blue smoke, this would most likely point to the short block (bottom end where the cylinders are) not the heads. Depending on the length of time its been burning and what the seller said he did, I would get him to fix it or get your money back. A rebuild engine should not have smoke of any kind regardless.

Also was the whole engine rebuilt or just half? What else is messed up in addition to the issues currently present?
Old 11-12-2015, 09:20 AM

those are my issues. I forgot to mention that is a 22re.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Janos01
If is burning oil and there is blue smoke, this would most likely point to the short block (bottom end where the cylinders are) not the heads. Depending on the length of time its been burning and what the seller said he did, I would get him to fix it or get your money back. A rebuild engine should not have smoke of any kind regardless.

Also was the whole engine rebuilt or just half? What else is messed up in addition to the issues currently present?
As I mentioned:

"Depending on the length of time its been burning and what the seller said he did, I would get him to fix it or get your money back. A rebuild engine should not have smoke of any kind regardless."

"Also was the whole engine rebuilt or just half?"