86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil burn and leak in 87 pickup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil burn and leak in 87 pickup?

Posted some info on this truck a few weeks back. Its an 1987 4x4 automatic 22r. Since getting the truck I have noticed each time its cold started it smokes them after engine warms up oil begins to leak from right hand side of engine. No major leaks but usually requires a quart of oil after heavy driving two weeks or one tank of gas. Also I have to put the truck in low gear to go up any steep hills. Running 31 tires but I belive its the motor more than the tires. Any suggestions for repair or should I JUST GO AHEAD AND GET RID OF THE TRUCK?
Old 03-05-2008, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
compression test is in order, sounds almost like a blown headgasket. Don't get rid of it yet, please.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:29 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree. Run the compression test. Also, check the PCV and any breather lines for blow by. And the plugs for oil deposits. So far, it sounds likes like leaking valves.

I assume the smoke is from the tailpipe? Does it also smoke continuously....after you've been driving a bit?

The tires are definitely going to kill power with your set up, but you still shouldn't have to put in low to climb hills.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:57 PM

its old and a auto.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:50 AM

It has brand new plugs and wires. Also has new idel which is set very as the engine would almost die if it was not set high. The truck does not smoke continuously just when it is started. Even then smoke is not really visible. i hate to play stupid but how can test the compression? Is a machine reqired? Also the oil only drips out in small drops but like as say as soon as the truck gets warm it starts. How about the head gasket? I hadnt even thought about this. Befor I got it I let a local mechanic drive it and he said for the money I should go ahead and get. It will pull hills good in 4x4 and low gear even with a load of fire wood. But in 2wheel even with gas mashed to the floor it struggles up very stepe climbs. If I dont sell it Iam gonna switch tirs and wheels this weekend and see if that helps. But the oil leak is what really worries me. I have been told by other shade tree mechanics it is simply an old truck and to expect oil burn and leaks. Iam afraid if it gets worse the engine could blow and then I would be out of luck and money.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:09 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
You can rent compression testers at auto stores....won't cost a dime. And it's real simple to use. You'll see when you pick one up. Just disconnect the distributor, screw the tool into each plug hole.....one at a time, bump the ignition so that the motor turns over a couple of times, and record the readings. Run the test a couple of times, if you have to.

If the head gasket has blown, it's not the worst thing in the world, but it does require money and repair. The motor is simple in design. If you're mechanically adept, you could easily make the repair yourself. BUT! Drain a little oil and inspect it for water. And/or look at the dipstick or in the radiator for signs of coolant/oil breach.

And like I said, look for blow by. What color is the smoke? With a poor idle, it could just be running rich....which would create smoke and a loss of power. The carb may need adjustment or cleaning. Black smoke would indicate richness, light bluish would be oil, and white with a coolant odor would be headgasket....(or even timing cover, but let's not go there yet.)

Oil leaks are no big deal. It may be just the valve cover gasket. Easy fix. You'll just have to see where it's coming from. You said right hand side. Do you mean driver's side or pass.?
Old 03-09-2008, 06:13 PM

Oil leak is on passenger side. I have not gotten a chance to look closely but it is visible behind front tire on bottom side of engine. As for the smoke it is a darker color which is visible when engine is first started but goes away after it warms up. Also moisture is visible in exaust pipe when engine is warming up. Iam gonna try to drive it tomorrow and see how it does. Still trying to decide if I should sell it or put some money into fixing it up. My daily drive Blazer is also acting up so Iam torn between fixing either or maybe trading both for a 1990's toyota or other pickup. But anymore it seems any used vehicle is someboby else is problem they want to get rid of. I always heard the late 80's Toyota trucks were the toughest and best made and couldnt wait to get one. But after getting this one I wonder if its is worth the money to fix it up or is it just another used vehicle like the rest. Gas prices the way they are I also question the toyotas not so good milage. Someone advise me on what to do!