Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Odd Head Gasket leak just started drivers side above the forward most plug

Old 05-01-2013, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Odd Head Gasket leak just started drivers side above the forward most plug

hey all, I believe its a hg leak but not sure, some of the posts her say it could be the 90 degree water hose.

I stuck a tiny mirror in there and it looks like its leaking and running down the outside the block which is very odd.

1. let engine sit
2. let engine dry
3. turn on vehicle
4. slow but steady stream coming from directly under the head above plug one.

Has anyone else seen or heard of this odd leak? I've searched quite a bit here and appreciate this forum. Couldn't find my specific issue.

One variable is that its a 1987 Toyota truck with just 25,000 miles on it. I drove it 400 miles a few months ago, then let it sit, starting it here and there and moving it about 1/2 mile in that time period. Tonight, just finished fixing the cruise control cable and tested it on a 7 mile stretch. Got back and see a constant drip. I'll take a video tomorrow in the daylight.

thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 07:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like a HG - that's how mine was.

I tried the "tighten the head bolts down to spec - in proper FSM pattern" trick and it worked for a day or so, then started again.

Mine is a 22RE as well and it was the same spot. I even did pressure tests in the coolant system and it seemed fine after tightening the bolts, but then when driving 25 miles and parking, it was back.

Let's see the photos/videos and I'm sure we can give you a better idea.

I'm just wrapping up my head/HG/etc job - first time!
Old 05-05-2013, 09:01 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The headgasket in my '87 has been leaking in that exact spot for the last 40k miles (I am overdue to fix it). Coolant just runs down the side of the block. On short trips it leaks on the ground, but longer trips it seems to either seal better or dry up before it reaches the ground. I have seen a few other 2xRs do the same thing. It seems to be a common spot for the headgasket to start leaking. My '88 is leaking in the same spot, and retorquing the head bolts did not fix anyting.

Do you have 25k original miles or 25k on a rebuild? 25k on a rebuild might just need the head retorqued. 25k original miles probably means the coolant sat for very long periods of time and turned to acid, dissolving the head gasket and possibly other parts.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:47 AM

Thanks for the replies, I'll get a video of it soon (within a week or 2). I'm wrapping up some PM on my 1FZ-FE engine, when I'm done with that and have it in the rig, I'll start on the Original 25,000 mile engine.

Its good to hear I'm not alone (odd) and that people have continued to drive it like this with no issue... but better to take care of it. I did drive it 400 miles with 0 issues, but the coolant was a quart low after the trip.

Reading through here, it sounds like its easier to pull the engine and put it on a stand than to do the head where it sits. I might just go through it and replace all the seals/gaskets if I do this.

Appreciate you guys.

Last edited by mikesta; 05-13-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:50 PM

11 days of vacation started for me yesterday at 4pm. As promised here is some video of the issue that I stumbled upon literally 1 day before the buyer was supposed to pick up. Hope you guys don't mind video, I like to video document my builds.

I had a goal of getting the 1FZ-FE engine out today and was able to do it before noon, so I pulled the sunrader up and put it in line for engine yanking.

[youtube]TIueLXmoTWI[/youtube]
Old 05-18-2013, 01:58 PM

And here is the affirmative on a bad head gasket.... I tried to show the bubbling at the head, but it was a little steamy!

I'm a beginner on 22R-E's and have read a ton here before diving in. Please jump in and give me advice. Definitely look forward to learning about this 'little engine'.

Cheers

[youtube]X58NCdeJ6Kw[/youtube]
Old 05-19-2013, 06:57 PM

Any tips/tricks (outside the FSM) for pulling the engine? I'm pulling it tomorrow.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:30 PM

Ok, documented what I did today - quite a bit of video... 20 minutes maybe. I have no clue what I'm saying or talking about. Maybe it will help someone that could use it.... little humor too... camera fail and word fail.

3. [youtube]xw-LvibTPFg[/youtube]

4. [youtube]juT9-7X6EaE[/youtube]

5. [youtube]R94x6COGunU[/youtube]

6. [youtube]CzeHys2tpeg[/youtube]

7. [youtube]Tp2bUhuOdFs[/youtube]

8. [youtube]NuwhqrkPnwk[/youtube]

9. [youtube]CJYzGfvBJZ4[/youtube]

10. [youtube]ZVYCHQQgpio[/youtube]

11. [youtube]R86zO7aHkPs[/youtube]

12. [youtube]yMVKN3G7RF8[/youtube]

Thats it for today. Tomorrow is another day.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:42 AM

Couldn't get to the 22r-e this week, but will begin in on it next week. I want to replace all seals/gaskets etc in this engine and am learning. Ordered and have the OEM Toyota Head Gasket kit, but as I've learned this week, there are many more gaskets in an engine. I think the valve grind kit was what I shoulda ordered.

Almost done with the 6 cylinder 1FZ-FE engine for my Locked 80 series.

Going in tonight or Monday.
Attached Thumbnails Odd Head Gasket leak just started drivers side above the forward most plug-1.jpg   Odd Head Gasket leak just started drivers side above the forward most plug-2.jpg   Odd Head Gasket leak just started drivers side above the forward most plug-3.jpg  
Old 05-25-2013, 10:16 PM

Good job documenting the repair. I noticed on one of your videos the black material is missing from your headgasket in the place that is leaking. Maybe that is what is suppose to seal the coolant in? I would definately have the head resurfaced and at least check the block or have it resurfaced, also. It is most likely pitted from coolant turning to acid. I am thinking with only 25k on your Sunrader, it has sat for many years at a time without the coolant being changed. From what I understand, coolant (at least the traditional green stuff) turns to acid after a few years and starts dissolving parts.

My parents did not change the coolant in my truck (before it was mine), and around 1995 it dissolved a hole in one of the copper hoses near the intake manifold as a result. I have always changed the coolant about every 2 years since then, but the headgasket started leaking in the same place as yours around 183k miles. It has been that way for 40k miles, but has not completely blown. I am interested to see what mine looks like when I take it apart.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:21 AM

Here is some more - finally got to the engine yesterday. Observations - The overhaul kit didn't come with the 2 Valve cover semi-circular gaskets - 11183-38010 and the oil seal gasket - 15188-38030. Hitting up Toyota today. I checked the block and its true as well as the head so no machine work. Just a tear down and replace wearable's for this one. Thanks for the advice though. No pitting believe it or not in the block. You can see in the videos

13. [youtube]G-fDXSQyVrE[/youtube]

14. [youtube]0JMzOmTbYfw[/youtube]

15. [youtube]RACruQ54OBM[/youtube]

16. [youtube]cB90JfErZaA[/youtube]

17. [youtube]Jio9a79f1qM[/youtube]
Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 AM

18. [youtube]VzBNjrqgjIc[/youtube]

Going to get the engine reassembled and put it back in the rig before putting the head on. Will start cleaning the intake next.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:31 PM

Little update - I'm getting a little worn out (2 engine overhauls in 2 week gauntlet).... and I need to catch my second wind, but my goal is to get this sunrader back on the market by the weekend so I keep on trucking.

Today I made a video, but its just about cleaning the engine and after I watched it, decided not to upload.

The engine mounts were a little dirty and I could see a little bit of metal on metal rub so I threw them in the blaster and blasted them clean then threw 2 coats of primer on them and 2 coats of black GLOSS... Gloss... I know, but it was something I already had and I'm hoping that it will turn out good. They need to dry for a couple days in the sun before I mount it to the truck so had to get that part out of the way. Then I cleaned more... bolts and parts. I think all that cleaning is finally done. Then I turned my attention to the engine bay because we are getting close to dropping the engine back in. Here is a picture of the before and after... about 1/2 of the engine bay is done.

No one has commented on this thread in a while... do you still want to see updates? Let me know... as well as any advice or opinions. This thread is quiet.
Attached Thumbnails Odd Head Gasket leak just started drivers side above the forward most plug-enginedirty.jpg   Odd Head Gasket leak just started drivers side above the forward most plug-engineclean1.jpg  
Old 06-05-2013, 01:33 PM

This thread has definetely been quiet, but I have been enjoying watching the progress. I am going to be doing basically the same thing to my truck, but it will be more engine work since I have a few more than 25k miles. Did you do anything special to clean the engine compartment or just deagreaser and water?
Old 06-08-2013, 05:10 AM

Hey Anthony,
Sorry for the delayed response. All I did was spray simple green (undiluted) on there, let sit for a few minutes.... then take my little paint brush and work it in, then wash off with water. A soft bristled brush will enable this to happen without taking all the wires off the fender. I will caution you if you do this to make sure you get all the cleaner off with a good rinse. Also, avoid any labels as simple green likes to take off ink.

The last few days, had to work on some other projects... pick up some Land Cruiser parts and run some errands.... so not anything done Thurs/Fri. Today I'm all in.... 100% to the engine.

Here is a video I took on wednesday, you can tell by my voice... I'm sick of looking at the engine

[youtube]zg5rbGRbnVs[/youtube]
Old 06-09-2013, 11:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
This is a great thread. Thanks for taking the time to do the videos.
I have just bought my first Toyota (see sig) and am just starting on the HG job.
The previous owner ran it hot, due to a clogged radiator, and coolant was getting in the oil.
I won't be pulling my engine, but still, your videos answered quite a few questions I had.
again, Thanks Much!
Old 06-09-2013, 12:32 PM

My pleasure Jerry,

I do it for my own benefit. Its helped me a ton when figuring out where stuff goes. Even better if they are able to benefit others though.

I see where others have said to just pull the engine for the headgasket and that they would do it next time.... but if you have ocd, you will want to do a bunch of other work while its out!!! You are a smart man by keeping it in and its really not that hard (I can say that now that I've done it once).

I'd replace your fuel filter while you are in there and hoses! Hope it works out for you and congrats on your first toy! I have too many toys
Old 06-09-2013, 12:38 PM

3 updates - Been lazy

Part 20.
[youtube]oJ_OLkb6KxA[/youtube]

Part 21.
[youtube]euQwkaJnExs[/youtube]

Part 22. FAIL!!

[youtube]Azb7gObjmA8[/youtube]
Old 06-09-2013, 02:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mikesta
My pleasure Jerry,
I'd replace your fuel filter while you are in there and hoses! Hope it works out for you and congrats on your first toy! I have too many toys
Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to do that. By taking it off it may give ne a little more room under there to reattach those water pipes. I may remove the starter too. I have big hands and am 70 years old. My skin is thin and has lost it's elasticity. Pulling that plenum and intake Friday made me look like I'd been in a fight with a wildcat (it's tight under that intake).
Old 06-09-2013, 08:01 PM

I admire your motivation! Nothing wrong with a good wildcat fight!

K, if you just watch 2 videos of all the videos I've taken, these two are the most important to save you some serious grief and a TON of time. Especially if you are embarking on this for the first time. Little update, today I pulled the hood off, engine out, fixed the torque on the flex plate (litterally 1/8" of movement) and I'm glad to have that piece of mind. Got the plenium back on and now need to get that pesky gasket for under it so I can finish up. The next few days are busy and I hope to get to it, but likely won't till Thursday.

Video 23

[youtube]uarEpBZu_EY[/youtube]

Video 24

[youtube]CdzGIWWQRbw[/youtube]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Odd Head Gasket leak just started drivers side above the forward most plug