Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Odd ball rear leaf springs for specific vin #'s?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd ball rear leaf springs for specific vin #'s?

I recently bought a set of "OEM" spec replacement rear leaf springs from a company not to be mentioned. I purchased a set of these springs for my 1992 sr5 extended cab 4x4 as I wanted to fix my sagging rear (that was only made worse with and addition of a bed cap). The company specifically states that model of spring ordered are for said truck from model years between 1989-1994.

I installed the springs in one very long evening only to find out that when I put the weight of the truck back onto the wheels, the springs sagged right to the overloads. To say that I was pissed is an under statement. The ride height was exactly the same as the almost 23 year old original springs that I took off.

that was Friday of last week, so lets fast forward to today. After dealing with their customer service department for two days, I finally get a hold of a tech. He claims that some models of Toyota Trucks of similar vintage came from the factory with odd ball sized leaf springs when the factory ran out of the original spec springs. That strikes me as odd especially when I Google searched it really fast on the computer I was in front of while on the phone and didn't come up with anything (on the first page at least). He seemed knowledgeable enough over the phone, but he asked me to email my vin number. He claims that this will determine if they shipped the correct springs and they're just defective, or that my truck requires a different size spring because of some low volume manufacturing difference.

So, my question to the great people of Yotatech is, does this man speak the truth or am I just getting the run around while they have their thumbs up their butts trying to figure out what to do with a lot of defective springs?
Old 07-15-2014, 11:02 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Anything is possible.

While I have never heard of Toyota having different spring rates for the same vehicle I can`t rule it out.

Different Vendors for springs but the spring rate should be the same or close enough not to be different.

Who can say boxed wrong or just the wrong steel.

Looking forward to see how you make out.

The new and old springs looked the same??

Good Luck
Old 07-15-2014, 11:46 PM

Do the new springs have the same number of leafs? They didn't send you 2wd springs did they? I definately know how you feel.

Jason
Old 07-16-2014, 04:12 AM

They installed easy enough to lead me to believe that they were indeed OEM quality replacement springs. They have the same number leaves as the springs I removed from the truck. Hopefully this is resolved soon, as it feels like I'm riding on a hardtail motorcycle...
Old 07-16-2014, 05:33 PM

I talked to the same "tech" today (Who I found out through certain channels is the president of the company) and he told me based on the photos I sent to him, that they believe that my front suspension has a lift on it and that is causing more weight to be carried by the rear springs causing them to sag. ya, that's not the way things work. After telling him that a simple ride height measurement verified that the front was set to the factory specification (measures 13-3/4"), and having him rabble on that some other techs claim that I have my torsion bars cranked, I lost all faith his ability to handle this situation.

This is the picture that I sen't him that apparently show my lifted front suspension. This picture was taken before I replaced the rear leaf springs.

Name:  dune5_zps9e0735e8.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  62.2 KB

Although he did say the manufacture is testing multiple examples of the specific spring in question to verify spring rates are correct, I've decided to give them until Friday to come up with a suitable solution to my problem or I'm going to ask for a full refund. Hindsight being 20-20, should have just spent the extra $150 and got some OME dakar springs. lesson learned

edit: Also, the sudden change of position from it being a manufacturing variation on Toyota's end, to a supposed front suspension lift on my end which is causing the springs to sag leads me to believe there is manufacturing problem with this companies supplier, and I just found it.

Last edited by dirtrider0129; 07-16-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:48 PM

Red face

just curious how much other stuff do you have in the back of the truck plus the weight of the cap??
Old 07-17-2014, 03:11 AM

In the above picture, the only thing in the bed are some camping supplies that weigh <100 lbs. if I was to estimate the weight of the cap, I would say between 150-175. I'm not the strongest person in the world, but I and another person were able to take it from a waist height to chin height without too much fuss.

The thing is the truck doesn't have a rear bumper, spare tire, or the spare tire holder and winch. I estimate the weight those items combined would be very close to the weigh of the cap.

I have taken the cap off just to make sure that it wasn't the cause of the sag. With it off the rear end still sits on the overloades without any weight in the bed. I sent the company pictures with the cap off showing that the springs sagging to the overloads, but they still won't give me a straight answer.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
definitely sounds odd. i've never heard of different leaf springs for our trucks either - except for maybe the 2wd pickups 1-ton version. i'd think a leaf spring shop SHOULD know if it is true, so maybe it is.

you don't want to mention the brand of leafs you bought? just curious, since i never found stock height leafs when I was looking for my truck - they were all including some sort of lift unless you spend big $ and went with custom leafs.

I ended up with OME Dakar mediums on my truck and am very happy - many times I have loaded the bed with ~1500# and the rear only drops slightly past level (was slightly raked past level, so drops maybe 2"). before new leafs i'd be riding the bump stops with a load and my truck looked almost as saggy as yours in the pic without any load.

Good luck with your leafs though. I'd be asking for a return slip and buying OME leafs if it were me.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:34 AM

The springs are just generic replacement springs; nothing fancy. TRDparts4u has the OME springs for $371 + 68 for shipping. Pending an acceptable solution from the spring company, I'll order them Friday or Monday.

I'll post the name of the company once this ordeal is settled and my truck is riding good or I have all of my money returned to my account.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:53 PM

Red face

For what it is worth I always had good Luck with General Spring out Of Kansas City.

I am lucky they ship out of a warehouse about 80 miles away I get them to the shop cheaper then driving to the spring Shop go figure.

These are all stock height replacement springs. I have bought 4 or 5 sets plus my Super Springs.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:24 PM

Well after speaking with the gentleman again and having him tell me that in order to proceed I needed to take off a spring and measure the arc, I decided to just return them and buy some Old man emu CS019R dakar springs. Even though I am completely unsatisfied with the company's product, they are giving me my money back so I cant complain.

This also gave me an excuse to finally dive deeper into the world of off-roading and give a front suspension lift install a go. hopefully I don't end up buying torsion bars made of linguine.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:01 PM

I don't have mine installed yet but just from handling them i know you'll be pleased. Much beefier than stock. Did you get the medium or heavy springs? I opted for the medium paired with 4crawlers spacers for the ball joints.

Jason
Old 07-18-2014, 04:32 AM

I got the medium springs. I'll probably end up taking off one of the overload leafs, though. Front end is still up in the air right now. Spacers would be a good option.