Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Now this one is interesting...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now this one is interesting...

So tommorow i am going back to Napa to get my third alternator in three weeks, and my second starter (I LOVE LIFETIME WARRANTIES!) but I would prefer not to have to change them. So, leading me to the problem...My blinkers and fuel/temp gauge went out, replaced the fuse, and they worked again. My battery wasn't charging, figured out it was the alternator solenoid. Replaced the alternator. That SHOULD have fixed all my problems, yet as i was driving to go wheeling today, it did it all over again! (and after installing an ammeter and a voltage gauge, realized that it was once again my alternator not charging) but it seems that every time the solenoid goes it, it takes my turn singals/temp/fuel gauges with it. Any ideas??
Old 11-09-2008, 11:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
your in oly aye...

Seems very odd you're on your 3rd alt in such a short period. Mine is still original, 22 yrs old and has seem lots of water n mud.

you have a 22re tho, Maybe try some dielectric grease on ALL the connections with this new one?

btw, you have a lot of stereo there, might be making it draw to much, gets to hot, frying out? hmmm
Old 11-09-2008, 11:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It is possible that you have an intermittent short somewhere. Start by checking the battery cables for tears and breaks in the insulation. A break in your positive cable's insulation will fry your alternator very quickly, and may feed power to another circuit that shouldn't have any at that time, such as your dash. It might also be the wire going from the alternator to your dash.

Good luck!
Old 11-09-2008, 11:21 PM

Just reran all the electrical wiring in the charging/starting system...I was thinking it might be drawing alot from my stereo as well, but it is a 70 amp output alternator, and when its functioning, it only draws appx. 10-15 amps even with a BIG sub hit, I will check for any shorts though...Im thinking it might be a short somewhere in that line that runs my turn signals and gauges, seeing as that is the fuse that blows everytime my alternator fries... ?
Old 11-09-2008, 11:22 PM

Oh and I got an Olympian in here huh?? Im from Wenatchee, you know, the GOOD side of the mtns hahaha (I couldn't resist)