86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

not sure what to do

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not sure what to do

hello all i have a 95 4 runner 3.0 auto 4x4 i bought not long ago. replaced fuel pump, plugs, dist. cap, rotor button and then no start. replaced ign. coil still no start. i am about to sell her for parts and i dont want to because i have wanted one of these for a long time. heres the other side i can buy a 98 runner 3.4 2wd bad auto trans. for the cheap. will this motor fit in easy and will i have to change out the wiring? i know this is probably a big jump from not starting and i really dont have the time to change it but i am at the end of my rope with this. i have checked the main relayi have put a plug in a wire and turned it over no fire. let me know what you think. thanks
Old 07-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

well, I'd search on the 3.4 swap.

Have you checked the fusible link? How about starter wires and stuff? what exactly is it doing when you try to crank it?
Old 07-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
you replaced the parts THEN it wouldn't start? Sounds like you got the wires on in the wrong places.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
you replaced the parts THEN it wouldn't start? Sounds like you got the wires on in the wrong places.
Yeah, check you firing order and make sure that it corresponds correctly with the distributor.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

Make sure you hooked your fuel pump up and that it's running. You should be able to smell gas in the exhaust after cranking or pull a plug and it will be wet. Another problem could be a bad coil wire.
Contributing Member

Wow my sig is so old...
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
How old is your timing belt?
Old 07-10-2007, 06:23 PM

not sure how old the timing belt is i have a new one to put in. i checked the plug wires they are on right. after i put the pump in it ran rough so i did the tune up. i hope the pump didnt go already for some reason. it turns over fine no fire. where is the fusable link? give it a little starting fluid still no fire. thanks
Old 07-11-2007, 04:44 AM

Just a thought. Seen it done before.
Did you remember to put the dist. rotor in?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:52 AM

I would do a test on your coil and your igniter box. Had similar problems and it wasent till after I replaced the coil that I found out that the igniter box had went out. replaced that and it fired right up. Good luck!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 95yota4
not sure how old the timing belt is i have a new one to put in. i checked the plug wires they are on right. after i put the pump in it ran rough so i did the tune up. i hope the pump didnt go already for some reason. it turns over fine no fire. where is the fusable link? give it a little starting fluid still no fire. thanks
Its doubtfull but I had the same symptoms, turns out the t-belt teeth sheered off.

when you crank the engine does the dist rotor rotate?
Old 07-11-2007, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 95yota4
hello all i have a 95 4 runner 3.0 auto 4x4 i bought not long ago. replaced fuel pump, plugs, dist. cap, rotor button and then no start. replaced ign. coil still no start. i am about to sell her for parts and i dont want to because i have wanted one of these for a long time. heres the other side i can buy a 98 runner 3.4 2wd bad auto trans. for the cheap. will this motor fit in easy and will i have to change out the wiring? i know this is probably a big jump from not starting and i really dont have the time to change it but i am at the end of my rope with this. i have checked the main relayi have put a plug in a wire and turned it over no fire. let me know what you think. thanks
Ok - Lets start with the basics. There is no mention in this thread so far about what the truck IS doing. Is the starter cranking over? is is trying to fire at all? does it "try" to start up? Do you have everything connected, ie the AFM?

Start at the bottom and tell us what it is doing. It is an internal combustion engine - its not rocket science. There is a solution, stick with it.

Just remember, you gotta have air/fuel/spark to make it run -- If it wont start then its one of those - We can test any of those components individually. Just tell us what it is doing.

Kat
Old 07-11-2007, 08:01 PM

ok the truck turns over it cranks fine. will not fire. not even on starting fluid. checked with a test light i have juice on both wires going into the coil but if i stick the probe in where the wire goes to the dist. cap and crank it nothing no light. that is with new coil. a buddy of mine is going to bring his runner over so we can try his ign. module out before i spend the $ for one. thanks for all the responses thanks alot.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:03 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EFI fuse?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
did you replace the COIL, or The Ignitor? They are two seperate things. The coils never go out, its the ignitor that has the problem. We sell a lot of those at my wrecking yard.