86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Noob Alert: what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noob Alert: what to look for

Hey fellas, looking for a Gen1, and would like your thoughts on what to look for.

Rig will be strictly used around town but mainly to haul kids, dogs, fishing gear to the beach on the gulf coast from cottage. Must be set up to handle deep sand and unpredictable conditions along the Padre Island national seahore, which is not maintainted. Reliable and super clean cosmetically and mechanically. Will pay a premium for a clean rig as I don't have the expertise/time/mechanic to refurbish. Top will be off much of the time, rhino a plus as well as good rubber, winch etc.

Anyway thoughts welcome. Would like to get pointed in the right direction.

TIA
Old 05-29-2008, 08:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
welcome to the fray, frayed.

By gen1, you're referring to 4Runner or truck? kind of a technical question.

hmm... sand, seashore... no rocks?
ok... IFS will work perfectly well there so anything '86 or newer
top off... means probably 4Runner? so older than '90, otherwise any x-cab pickup with a shell

Given what I think you're wanting, you are probably looking at least 3-4,000 since you're basically wanting a turn-key rig... and as you said 'super-clean'.

Basically a well-maintained stock 86-89 4Runner, or 86-95 x-cab pickup 4wd with a shell would suit your needs based on what you've given.

*the above, and below, is my opinion and bares nothing*

-edit: winch would be an add-on and cost extra

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-29-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
sounds like the OP is looking for a 1st gen 4Runner when mentioning a removeable top and being able to carry kids. That would include the 84-89.
The 84-85's are going to have a straight axle up front. Rides a little on the rough sdie with the front leaf springs.
The 86-89 will be IFS and have a little better ride.
All of these trucks are getting old but you should be able to find one that meets your needs. A truck equipped with 31x10.50's or 33 x12.50's sounds like the ticket for running in the sand on a beach.
Just remember to have self recovery gear when running in sand. Adequate tow straps, shovel, if you go with a winch a pull pal (http://www.pullpal.com/) is a good idea for sand recovery. An air compressor for airing up your tires (lower pressure= greater floatation in loose sand)

A soft top such as a Can back top http://www.can-back.com/ would be good for those unexpected weather changes, but a bikini top would be a good option too.

check out the for sale section here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f108/
I have bought my last two toyotas off of craigslist.org and gotten great deals.

Good luck!

Last edited by rworegon; 08-14-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:14 PM

Apologies for being so vague. . .yeah a 4runner. No rocks, just lots of sand, sometimes deep and quite loose. I'm looking for a pretty clean example with no major stories but above all mechanically sound. Something I can be proud of owning.

Frankly it'll be parked quite a bit of the time on a battery tender, but when I get down to the coast, it'll need to be actually run. Limited highway use so comfort is not much of an issue.

Basically a beach truck that can be hosed down and has been maintained to a level that 3k miles per year (at most) are not painful in terms of upkeep and niggling problems.

Thanks!

EDIT: OCD, thanks! Those links are quite a bit of help.

Last edited by frayed; 05-29-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:50 PM

You won't find much here in the Corpus area. SA, Austin, Dallas, and Houston are going to be your main markets.

I've been looking for one for my dad since he just totaled his 87, and they're going for a premium. Even with IFS you're looking at 3-4,000 for an alright truck.

Like OCD said look for a 86-89 for a beach truck because of the IFS. I've got mine set up firm, because I like to run down it kind of fast when the sand is not too loose, but not so firm that it's bone jarring.

A shovel, some straps, and a jack with a wide solid base and a good amount of lift are necessities. As is airing down and correct gearing. A winch would be good but a rear locker would be even better. Every time I get back one side of the truck is covered in sand while the other is clean.

The can back soft-top is also a good option because of the quick weather changes.

On my last trip down PINS the wind went from about 5 miles per hour to 30 in probably an hour, and the sand blows up from under the vehicle and back in to the cab in winds like that so it's nice to be able to close everything up.

Last edited by CC_yota; 05-29-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Save up for a rear (or front and rear) Truetracs diffentials. These are special limited slip differentials that send torque to the wheel that needs it most. Your application sounds perfect for them. Search and find out more. They cost about $500 ea. plus install ($150??).
Old 05-30-2008, 04:21 AM

One option you might want to consider is to find a 1st gen that is mechanically sound and has a good frame. Try and get it for a really good deal then with the money you save you can pay someone to put fiberglass panels on it. I think the fiberglass panels are reasonalbly cheap and dont look that difficult for someone to put on so labor shouldnt be to high either. Just an idea.

Also I would suggest a 22re 5speed. Motor is light and not as torque much torque as a V6 so it should help in not digging into loose sand as much.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by frayed
Padre Island national seahore
I hate you for reminding me that I haven't been shark fishing down there for almost 5 years now, stupid New Mexico.......

Just kidding.

Anyways. My advice would be an 86 or newer with the IFS and a 22re 5 speed. Great mpg, light weight, pretty darn easy to maintain and the IFS will ride really well in the sand. I'm sure you know just as well as I do how fast something will rust to the ground on the beach so with that in mind I'll have to agree with BAMF_CT2004 and say you might want to have fiberglass panels put on it. Just some thoughts. A rear locker wouldn't hurt either.

have fun

Last edited by Junkers88; 05-30-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:15 AM

Thanks guys. Going with fiberglass opens up a lot of opportunities since I'd then be assuming new panels and paint.

CC, this one is local. I'm in Austin, and as you said, it appears that these go for a premium.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f108...-shape-146232/

Would still need lockers.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:09 AM

Thanks guys. Going with fiberglass opens up a lot of opportunities since I'd then be assuming new panels and paint.

CC, this one is local. I'm in Austin, and as you said, it appears that these go for a premium.

Would still need lockers.
dude that is such a sweet truck, this is exactly what your looking for, buy it man.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:52 AM

Here is my rig - 4 sale in Austin. let me know!

Hey fellas, looking for a Gen1, and would like your thoughts on what to look for.

Rig will be strictly used around town but mainly to haul kids, dogs, fishing gear to the beach on the gulf coast from cottage. Must be set up to handle deep sand and unpredictable conditions along the Padre Island national seahore, which is not maintainted. Reliable and super clean cosmetically and mechanically. Will pay a premium for a clean rig as I don't have the expertise/time/mechanic to refurbish. Top will be off much of the time, rhino a plus as well as good rubber, winch etc.

Anyway thoughts welcome. Would like to get pointed in the right direction.

TIA