Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Noise from a new water pump impeller.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Noise from a new water pump impeller.

I just started the engine in my 1993 Toyota pickup after having done a few repairs (head gaskets and valve seals replaced, a new timing belt, a new water pump, oil pan removal for resealing and some transmission/clutch and exhaust work...). Almost everything seems fine but I noticed that as the engine got hotter, a strange scraping noise came from the timing cover.

I had a gasket that came with the aftermarket water pump but the last time it was replaced at the Toyota dealership 5 years ago, they didn't use one... I didn't order a water pump at the Toyota dealership this time as I thought mine would be fine with just over 70,000 miles on it so I just ordered a gasket kit from Toyota. When I removed the timing belt cover, I noticed there were traces of red coolant on the pump and I didn't want to take a chance and decided to replace it while it was accessible so I bought an aftermarket pump at a local auto parts store since they had it in stock. At first, I didn't install the gasket on the new one just like the dealer did the previous time and I noticed the impeller was scraping in the block as the bolts were tightened. So I removed it before the Right Stuff hardened, installed the gasket and there was no more scraping when turning it by hand...

Now, I think that with the expansion from the heat, the impeller scrapes on the block again and makes a strange but not constant noise. I didn't think about recording it with my phone...

Did anyone have similar issues with aftermarket water pumps? I'll try to make a video tomorrow before removing it again...

Last edited by PhilR; 05-06-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I haven't had the experience with water pumps, but have on plenty of other parts. Not saying all aftermarket is bad, may need to try another brand. Problems I have had with after market parts are heater cores, several brake parts, clutch parts... If you do some searching on the internet, you can usually find an OEM part for nearly the same price. I don't know of a place for water pumps or would list it.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:46 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

There learning how to measure and build things in China give them another 10 years or so.

The QC person needs to be shot as an example to the next one.

Then they just might have got the rejects and the ones that passed mixed up.

One just has to expect things like this.

Time to decide what your going to do.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tried another brand today, the part wasn't the correct one! This one was a rebuilt rather than new and had Aisin and Toyota stamped on it but it was missing a pipe going to the thermostat housing... Tomorrow, I should get another one, I hope this one will be correct (same brand as the bad one, Gates). I'll also have to check for the Check Engine light that's now coming on. It says code 52, Knock sensor... I never had an issue with the knock sensor until now. I did replace both the sensor and the small wire extension that goes under the intake but I noticed that the wire from the engine harness is damaged next to the connector for the extension. At first, it seemed like only the insulation was damaged but the wire is cut. I'll repair it tomorrow and I hope I won't have more issues with it. I did order the wire extension from Toyota but the knock sensor is one I got on eBay. It was in what seemed to be the original bubble wrap packaging, still sealed with the Toyota sticker and part number but I'm wondering if the part is fine! Toyota and auto parts stores sell this sensor for almost 10 x more than what I paid on eBay... I kept the old one just in case the new one is bad but I wouldn't like to have to replace it again now that the intake is installed over it!