86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

no pwer at all...fuel problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no pwer at all...fuel problem?

i have an 86 yota pickup with a carb 22r 2.4. last week i was driving it and i couldn't put the throttle to the floor without it sputtering and sounding like it was going to stall. it didn't really bother me much and just figured it was getting cold out so my carb needed to be adjusted. so i drove it for a couple days and yesterday i just lost all power. when i put it in neutral and try to rev it, it just sputters for a little bit then slowely revs up. what the hell is wrong with it?! i tried tuning the carb and that didn't help me at all. it idles fine after it warms up but when i put it in gear and try and go it just sputters and usually stalls. if i can get it moving in 1st then i have to be light on the gas and the motor runs at high RPMs but the truck doesn't go very fast. please help it's my daily driver!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:43 PM

check your distributor and spray some wd-40 on there or dry it out. also check your coil and see if any of it got wet
Old 12-23-2009, 07:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Have you ever replaced the fuel filter, sometimes its the simple things like that, that can cause the most problems.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:31 PM

Man I dont like carbs. When I had an old VW with a Weber it would periodically start acting up, doing odd things like you are describing. I always had good results by doing the "$0.05 tune up": take the air cleaner and stud off, rev that sucker up and smack your hand on top of the carb, sealing off all air. Before it dies, take your hand off and keep it running. Do this a couple times. This applies maximum vacuum to all the small air and fuel passages, sucking out any debris that had accumulated in there. You will probably get a bunch of fuel on your hand, so dont smoke while you do it

But do this after you have covered all the easy basics like fuel filter, spark plugs, cap and rotor etc. Do the 22rs have a mechanical or electric fuel pump? Might be a fuel pump going bad.

Last edited by thedanned; 12-23-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by myyota
Have you ever replaced the fuel filter, sometimes its the simple things like that, that can cause the most problems.
That's my vote.

Originally Posted by thedanned
Man I dont like carbs. When I had an old VW with a Weber it would periodically start acting up, doing odd things like you are describing. I always had good results by doing the "$0.05 tune up": take the air cleaner and stud off, rev that sucker up and smack your hand on top of the carb, sealing off all air. Before it dies, take your hand off and keep it running. Do this a couple times. This applies maximum vacuum to all the small air and fuel passages, sucking out any debris that had accumulated in there. You will probably get a bunch of fuel on your hand, so dont smoke while you do it

But do this after you have covered all the easy basics like fuel filter, spark plugs, cap and rotor etc. Do the 22rs have a mechanical or electric fuel pump? Might be a fuel pump going bad.
What he said.

Probably not a bad idea to fill the tank up and pour in a bottle of RedLine Fuel System Cleaner.

(I see there's also a silver-label version. I honestly don't know the difference but have had good luck with red-label.)