Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

No Power Steering. (Searched the best i can before posting)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Power Steering. (Searched the best i can before posting)

So its an 89 3vze 4x4, bought it with no power steering from a leaky pressure line.

I decided to tear it down and fix some things and clean up the engine bay. Pulled radiator, intake, all accessories, hood, fenders, all down to the timing belt. Took a wire brush and degreased the pump, engine, pulleys, alternator, etc...

Finally built it back up with new timing belt, painted engine bay, and new high pressure line.

Set aside my disappointment when it didnt run any better (i ripped the old timing belt off with my bare hands, thank god for NI), but i cant get the PS working now.

Before if youd put fluid in it, it would work fine a few days (minus at idle). Now its nothing. Ive tried bleedIng it but nothing comes out of the valve. Checked the lines at the gearbox and fluid was right there. Im using tranny fluid like everybody says to, says "for use on vehicles previously serviceable with dextron-3 and mercon brands. Im just pretty stumped.

Even if the fluid isnt right id think it would at least respond right?
Old 06-23-2012, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive tried bleedIng it but nothing comes out of the valve.
What valve are you referring to? From the pump to the steering box via the high pressure line is a closed hydraulic system, if you crack either end of this line in order to bleed it you are going to introduce air into the system. The return line is just that, not under any amount of pressure and fluid from the steering box makes it's way back to the resevoir. If you want to get the air out, first make sure the screen isn't plugged, there should be a screen in the bottom of the resevoir, fill it with new clean fluid to the cold full mark, jack up the vehicle so that both front wheels are off of the ground, start your engine, turn your wheels repeatedly in each direction lock to lock. Any air in the system will work its way out in the returning fluid at the resevoir. while you are doing this keep an eye on the fluid level. It may take awhile if your power steering pump is getting weak.

Checked the lines at the gearbox
Do you mean power steering box?

Last edited by Hadmatt54; 06-23-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:52 AM

I've got a similar (but different) problem with my '87 4Runner (4 cyl, non-turbo).

After replacing the sloppy (could barely keep the thing going straight), drippy power steering gearbox a couple of weeks ago I don't have power steering after a cold start. This condition lasts anywhere from a few seconds to 30 seconds. I can feel a sort of "pop" transmitted through the steering wheel when it frees itself up and starts to have power steering.

I had been putting power steering fluid and stop-leak power steering fluid (NOT Dexron ATF) into it until I read the owner's manual while replacing the gearbox. After replacing it I put in ATF per the manual.

I thought it was air in the system but after doing the lock-to-lock (front end on jacks) thing several times (the last one was 10-15 minutes of it) there are NO bubbles in the reservoir and the lever stays put on the stick.

As far as I know the pump has 242,000 miles on it (like the rest of the truck). Is it maybe just time to replace/rebuilt that things?

WabFab: why rebuild over reman?

Also, I did not replace any of the lines and I think they're due. I've got seepage at a couple of them.

Thanks for the help, gents.

Aaron
Old 02-06-2013, 03:02 PM

I havent had mine apart but have had 2 other pumps apart before and both had a piston type valve on the outlet for the pressure line that will come out easy as there is a spring behind it, on the first pump i did, i put that valve in the wrong way and I had no PS, realised my mistake, turned it around and then had PS, could be your issue if these pumps are a similar setup and you disassembled that far
Old 02-06-2013, 05:35 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by TribalSlamDance
I can feel a sort of "pop" transmitted through the steering wheel when it frees itself up and starts to have power steering.
stop-leak
Stopleak is the devil, er not meant as a permanent repair it is to get you to the shop when you're on the side of the road.

if it's not working and it's not taking extra fluid it's ready for a cleaning, inspection, rebuild, and lube. There are pressure test proceedures for the pump, nothing for the steering housing(And yes it's refered to as a steering gear housing in the FSM wether it's manual or power, just so you can find it easier..). There are valves in both the pump and actuator that could be stuck or damaged, and producing a poping noise.

Also when you are bleeding the system the bubbles aren't always large bubbles you want to also look for "cloudyness".
Old 03-15-2013, 04:27 AM

Hello, I have 91 4-Runner and I just replaced both the steering gear box and the steering pump and I still have intermitent power steering when first done now next morning I have nothing. Plus when I apply the brakes the whine gets louder and louder the harder I push the pedal. Also replaced vacumn valve off the pump and the 2 lines off the pump? Way lost for problem? Thanks for any and all help
Old 03-15-2013, 04:28 AM

Power steering issues.

Hello, I have 91 4-Runner and I just replaced both the steering gear box and the steering pump and I still have intermitent power steering when first done now next morning I have nothing. Plus when I apply the brakes the whine gets louder and louder the harder I push the pedal. Also replaced vacumn valve off the pump and the 2 lines off the pump? Way lost for problem? Thanks for any and all help
Old 03-15-2013, 06:13 AM

Similar problem here. New (reman) gearbox and I rebuilt the pump. No PS for the first second or two when pulling out of the garage and then it's fine until the turn at the end of the alley and the next turn. Totally fine after that till te engine is shut off for more than an hour or so. I thought it might be that valve on the PS pump but haven't replaced it. Clearly it didn't work for Opreds. Hmmm. 244,000 miles 1987 4Runmer.