Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

no power to ignition

Old 12-10-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no power to ignition

Hey guys , New to the forums and am having a problem with my 88 toyota . It's the 22re efi. Well anyways went go start my truck and the battery was low so i went to boost it with my battery charger. I put it on engine start and got in . Started it up and revved it up some then it died out . When it died it seemed to kill everything , Turned the key off and back on and still nothing , Radio don't light up or anything. Headlights and hazard lights work but thats it . I'm guessing its not getting power to the ignition. So i check and the wire from the battery to the fusiable link and it was broke ( has been fixed before ). Put it back on and nothing steal . Now the weird thing is before i got the truck someone must have blown the fuse on it and they rigged it up by twisting the broken parts together , worked fine til now. Think thats my problem ?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:06 PM

really need to get this going , thanks
Old 12-11-2012, 04:11 PM

I have an issue with my 22re where it will occassional not get iginition. If I hold the key to ignition for a few seconds, it will often take off. I can hear a relay activating with ignition but no start to the starter. I put a wire on the starter solinoid and ran it up to the battery. With the clutch overide button pressed and the ignition key turned to on, ( do I have to say to put the transmission in neutral??) I can touch the wire to the battery positive, and start the engine every time. This problem is so intermittant, I'm tempted to put a momentary contact switch in the cab. This method bypasses all the switches and wiring to the solinoid. Someday, I'll figure it out. After a couple of no starts, and getting jumped, I found this works every time. The wiring diagram for the the ignition start isn't that complicated. Finding all the connectors and wires.........

Last edited by blaiwayw; 12-11-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the relay you hear chattering? The first thing I would check would be that relay. I don't know how old it is so I'm going to assume it's original. The relay could have bad contact surfaces and needs to be replaced. I'd start there.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the reply and suggestion on the starter relay. I'm finding that a lot of folks have the same intermittant problem as I have. And, I have replaced the starter relay. Mind is an 86 4Runner with 22RE. Best suggestion I've found is to replace the wire from the ignition switch to the starter relay. I'm going to replace all the wiring in that circuit. How hard could it be?
Old 12-16-2012, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by blaiwayw
Thanks for the reply and suggestion on the starter relay. I'm finding that a lot of folks have the same intermittant problem as I have. And, I have replaced the starter relay. Mind is an 86 4Runner with 22RE. Best suggestion I've found is to replace the wire from the ignition switch to the starter relay. I'm going to replace all the wiring in that circuit. How hard could it be?
Haha hopefully not too hard. I'm sure it's one of those 'easier said than done' things though.

Before you get into that check the ignition switch itself. Reign the switch to on and check for voltage at the relay and also on the other end of that same wire at the switch itself. That will help narrow it down before you go guessing and throwing money at it. Check the starter solenoid too just to make sure.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:39 PM

I just went back and read your previous post about the solenoid....oops.

Also check for voltage in the block that the relay plugs into. After so many years those prongs that clamp around the blades on the relay get spread apart which will cause intermittent contact.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by tyman2395
Hey guys , New to the forums and am having a problem with my 88 toyota . It's the 22re efi. Well anyways went go start my truck and the battery was low so i went to boost it with my battery charger. I put it on engine start and got in . Started it up and revved it up some then it died out . When it died it seemed to kill everything , Turned the key off and back on and still nothing , Radio don't light up or anything. Headlights and hazard lights work but thats it . I'm guessing its not getting power to the ignition. So i check and the wire from the battery to the fusiable link and it was broke ( has been fixed before ). Put it back on and nothing steal . Now the weird thing is before i got the truck someone must have blown the fuse on it and they rigged it up by twisting the broken parts together , worked fine til now. Think thats my problem ?
It sounds like a problem with the power supply to your fuse block. The headlights and hazard flashers have constant power at the switch so they're not fed thru that fuse block. Take care of the fusible link and check for power (with the ignition switch on) inside the block.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 PM

Hey guys, Thanks for the response. Put a new fuse in the link and ever single time i hook the battery ground back up it blows the fuse . I'm guessing a short but have no clue where to start as all i did was hook the battery charger up and give the truck a rev :s
Old 01-03-2013, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Here is a link to RADs site on cleaning the starter relay. Its most likely has alot of carbon/corrosion and made a huge difference on mine. Post #27 https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51975700

Only thing I could suggest on the fuse blowing when hooking up the ground wire would be check the wires to starter and alternator. I would think it has to be under the hood but electric is not my strong area.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:01 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Here is a link to RADs site on cleaning the starter relay. Its most likely has alot of carbon/corrosion and made a huge difference on mine. Post #27 https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51975700
+1
Tnx, Terry.

Happy New Year Guys,
No matter what you do on your 86-88 runner, The stock cranking system wiring is flawed so best to fix that.

Also time to look at the schematic and get a multi-meter to troubleshot no power or short circuit issues. The multi-meter, next to our senses (common sense, sight/smell/touch/hearing) is the best diagnostic tool for classic trucks.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 01-03-2013 at 12:03 PM.