Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

No-Cut ZUK Mod...our turn

Old 04-18-2012, 02:50 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
I've tried asking more details on that as well.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...uk-mods-213013

I was expecting a little better turn out IMO, but overall it convinced me.

yes...but, what I said.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone done this with the 100# rate springs? I was going to replace my whole suspension but decided the leaf pack isn't NEARLY used enough to justify replacing it. I just need a boost to get my rear end higher than the front again with the topper on and all. Maybe 1.25-1.75" is all I need. I think I'm going to order the 100# spring and see what I get. Figured I'd run it by you guys: 100 or 125. . . opinions?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:52 PM

125 is doing us just fine. not sure what, if any, difference there is with 100's.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:35 PM

Well, mathematically speaking, the 100# should offer about 80% of the resistance/lift as the 125#. What's rather hard to factor in is the amount of sag difference. I would assume a truck that's sagging a lot will see more lift than a truck that's barely sagging due to the amount of weight compressing the spring. You also have a heavier Runner rear end. Either way, I'll try the 100# and see how it looks/feels.

Since you saw about 1.75" average I'm guessing I'll be just shy of 1.5".

We'll see. Ordered the 5x11x100 and some OME shocks and steering damper today.

I'll keep you posted
Old 07-16-2012, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well?

buzzardsgottaeat, did you have a chance to install these yet? I am looking into this as well, had the same notion with the lower spring rate for my pickup, just wondering how it went and your thoughts. thank you.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:13 AM

I ordered the 100# springs direct from the distributor in the first post. They have not arrived yet. They should arrive mid to late this week along with my OME shocks and steering damper. Then I still have to make time to install and I am at my hometown visiting family so I will get back to you all when it is done, with measurements and pics. it will just be a couple to a few weeks before I get it all done.

My rear wasn't sagging all that horribly so I think I will see less overall "lift" than someone who's leaf packs were worse. That on top of a lower spring rate (about 80% of the 125#) should yield me about 75% of the lift others are seeing with the 125# or less

stay tuned. . . and thanks for this thread and your own research/data OP
Old 07-16-2012, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat
I ordered the 100# springs direct from the distributor in the first post. They have not arrived yet. They should arrive mid to late this week along with my OME shocks and steering damper. Then I still have to make time to install and I am at my hometown visiting family so I will get back to you all when it is done, with measurements and pics. it will just be a couple to a few weeks before I get it all done.

My rear wasn't sagging all that horribly so I think I will see less overall "lift" than someone who's leaf packs were worse. That on top of a lower spring rate (about 80% of the 125#) should yield me about 75% of the lift others are seeing with the 125# or less

stay tuned. . . and thanks for this thread and your own research/data OP
no prob.

1st off I love posting pics of Joe's 4runner considering all the work we have done to it.

2nd, I research the crap outta stuff to the point where I suck the fun out of it too....but, yes, I research stuff a lot, especially when money is being spent.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:01 PM

Coils are in, waiting on shocks.

I do the same. I can't not punch numbers and research. My family always picks on me for them mentioning something in passing and next thing they know I've got my calculator, dictionary and Google out to start learning about it or making calculations or improvements ha oops.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
on the other side of the coil spectrum, i have a pair of 150's waiting to go under mine. just haven't gotten around to it. the reason for this was because i usually have a lot of weight on the back of my 4runner, up to and including a dirtbike. one of these days i'll get around to it hopefully
Old 07-23-2012, 12:55 PM

This is a great thread, thanks to everyone for all the excellent info.

I just ordered basically the whole OME suspension kit (front and back) for my 87 4runner except I decided to go with the Zuk mod in the rear instead of the new leafs etc. to save a whack of money. It seems like people are really happy with the ride with this mod as well.

My question is what coils would somebody recommend to get stock +2" of lift in the back to match the OME long travel shocks etc in the front and rear? Would the extra 2" of the 13" coils be enough since the 11" coils brought you guys to pretty much stock height or would new shackles be in order as well to get the extra lift?

Thanks for all the pics too they're really helpful

Last edited by Tugboat; 07-23-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
All you fancy shmancy "NO CUT" Saggy Butts! .... CUT, CUT, CUT!!!! hahahahahaha. JK, ... but actually, as mentioned in that one post... I like how they sit in tight in the tower and tight on the bottom the way I did it... BUT, I TOTALLY see the benefits of this, and I DOUBT they will pop off or anything like that... So for 75$, WOW, seriously... how come so many are HATERS! hahaha.

I'm still researching 'leaf pack' mods... but for now I'm GREAT! haha.

VERY COOL to see you getting Joe's saggy butt a lift! POOR KID was droppin his proverbial pants ALL AROUND TOWN! I heard they were callin him the "PA PANTS'ER"! hahaha, .... jk, but seriously.. STOKED FOR YA, JOE!!!! Great work, and great work, pops!
Old 07-23-2012, 01:10 PM

PS> Joe, .... pssssst, c'mere..... Is it just me or is your Pop's a bit more sassy then EVER? LOVING the humor, Jerry.... hope everything is well, man! Bless you and yours, sir!
Old 07-23-2012, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tugboat
This is a great thread, thanks to everyone for all the excellent info.

I just ordered basically the whole OME suspension kit (front and back) for my 87 4runner except I decided to go with the Zuk mod in the rear instead of the new leafs etc. to save a whack of money. It seems like people are really happy with the ride with this mod as well.

My question is what coils would somebody recommend to get stock +2" of lift in the back to match the OME long travel shocks etc in the front and rear? Would the extra 2" of the 13" coils be enough since the 11" coils brought you guys to pretty much stock height or would new shackles be in order as well to get the extra lift?

Thanks for all the pics too they're really helpful

YOU HURT MY HEAD.

I have to let someone else chime in on thath.

c'mon Mark....I'm not sassy......

all is well, springs are fine.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:40 AM

YOU HURT MY HEAD.

I have to let someone else chime in on thath.
Sorry let me rephrase that...

I'm trying to get 2" higher then stock height in the rear of my saggy assed 4runner. Would anyone have any suggestions? Would simply using the 14" instead of the 11/12" coils do the trick?
Old 07-24-2012, 11:05 AM

Tug.... I'm not sure on the BIGGER "NO CUT" fancy shmancy ones, hahahahaa, jk, .... anyway, I'm not sure on the height you get from the larger diameter ones compared to the same height of the kind I have(Signature)..... But my 12"x125# coils(inside the tower type/cut) took my saggy 87 4Runnerbutt from 11.25 to 13.75.... IIRC.... You'd have to go to my sig and read the first couple posts... It's the green one in my sig. The 14" coil has been known to bring some of them up 3-4" from where they were..... I just wanted a TINY bit over stock height.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:29 AM

Thanks Chef. I have checked out your Zuk mod, it looks great. It seems there are so many options with this mod when it comes to different coils and different ways to install. I think it will end up being trial an error until I get it dialed in to what I'm looking for.

I'm thinking that once I figure it out it might be kind of cool to be able to have two sets of coils that fit. One for regular use and a smoother ride and one "HD" set to swap in for the odd long trip carrying a heavy load.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:52 AM

Here is what my 100# coils are looking like after some time and flexing. They're holding up just fine until I want to actually grab a new leaf pack.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:42 AM

I have been hanging learning and building my 89 pickup. Thanks for all the great info.

My question about the Zuk mod is, my truck has 13 1/4" between the top of the rim and the bottom of the trim. I am guessing that I am only going to gain about an inch form doing this. Would the people that have it still reccomend it if just for ride comfort alone. And for the people that have had it for a year or 2, are you still happy with it?

Thanks for any info,
Old 03-06-2013, 06:48 AM

still very happy with it. definitely an improvement just not having that sag. plus the fact that we don't hit the bumpstops is comforting. as far as ride quality.....it's fine.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:25 AM

Thanks. I am going to go ahead with it then.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No-Cut ZUK Mod...our turn