86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

No Crank , No Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation No Crank , No Start

As the title says, you put the key in to start it, turn it and nothing. accessories come on, but the starter won't turn over. Not even the annoying dead battery click. Truck stuff is listed below. Rock it back and forth in gear, motor turns on bump and BAM,,, it starts like there is no issue. Tried jumping it at the coil, no prob. So I'm assuming its the key switch in the column. Just check with you all for opinions, is this common, is there a fix...

88 4Runner
22RE 5 speed
lifted 6" on 33" BFG Mud's
Old 07-27-2013, 05:26 PM

Have you tried cleaning your battery posts and cable ends? Mix a spoonful or two of baking soda in a cup of water. Disconnect the battery and soak the cable ends in the baking soda solution for a few minutes each and pour some over the battery terminals. Take an old knife or scraper and scrape any remaining corrosion off the terminals and cable ends so you've got nice bright metal to make an electrical connection.

Last edited by Chip N Sawbones; 07-27-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chip N Sawbones
Have you tried cleaning your battery posts and cable ends? Mix a spoonful or two of baking soda in a cup of water. Disconnect the battery and soak the cable ends in the baking soda solution for a few minutes each and pour some over the battery terminals. Take an old knife or scraper and scrape any remaining corrosion off the terminals and cable ends so you've got nice bright metal to make an electrical connection.
Thank you, but that's not it, I'll take a pic but the battery posts are clean as the day it rolled off the showroom floor. Even gold plated connections for anti corrosion are on them. It's gotta be in the column switch... maybe

Last edited by Cobra 19 & 54; 07-27-2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: I'm a mannerless moron
Old 07-27-2013, 08:47 PM

How is the power wire to your solenoid. Mine gets oiled up sometimes and needs to be cleaned off and itll start like a charm once I do that.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:12 AM

It could be the switch on the clutch pedal bracket that only lets you start the truck with the clutch in. Strip some insulation off the wires going to the switch and connect them together with a short bit of wire. I never liked that switch anyhow so I just took it out completely and spliced the wires together.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 AM

The brushes in the starter could be worn down to the point where they aren't making contact. The next time that happens, try bangin on the starter a few times and then try to start it. If it is the brushes, they are in-expensive to buy, and fairly easy to replace, but you will will have to drop the starter to replace them.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:41 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have never had the electrical part of the ignition switch go bad.

Lock cylinders another story.

I am leaning more toward the starter contacts .

Then with electrical it could be as simple as bad ground cables.

I forget when the changed the starter circuit to get battery voltage direct to the solenoid .
Old 07-28-2013, 09:18 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Cobra 19 & 54
...accessories come on, but the starter won't turn over. Not even the annoying dead battery click. .. Tried jumping it at the coil ... So I'm assuming it's the key switch in the column.
When you turn ignition switch to "IGN" anything? Seatbelt reminder buzz? Check engine light, etc momentarily coming on?
Obviously, like you said, when you put in START you get nothing.

How do you jump at the coil? You mean check for spark? I doubt that you'll find the problem at the ignition coil section.

Originally Posted by Chip N Sawbones
It could be the switch on the clutch pedal bracket that only lets you start the truck with the clutch in.
P.O. says not even a "click" so not likely it's a clutch safety switch. However, one can rule that out by simply using the Clutch Safety Cancel switch.

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
The brushes in the starter could be worn down to the point where they aren't making contact...
Originally Posted by wyoming9
I am leaning more toward the starter contacts.
PO said, "Not even the annoying dead battery click," so don't mess with the starter, yet. First make sure power is getting to ignition switch, starter relay then to starter solenoid. See starting system explained in my sig.

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I have never had the electrical part of the ignition switch go bad.
Correct.
However, even if the truck has a starter relay, Toyota's wiring still subjects "Start" contact to high (approx 14 amps) current needed to energize the starter solenoid, so after some time contacts could go bad.

Then with electrical it could be as simple a bad ground cables.
Concur, all power connections and fuses, of course.

I forget when the changed the starter circuit to get battery voltage direct to the solenoid
Based on KidVermicious' thread on 4Runner Forum, Toyota added the starter relay in mid-86's. However, it was not done right (See my wiring "Flaw" post)