YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

No Brake Lights, Switch Good. Schematic needed

Well, the wifes been driving my '90 4Runner, and told me that someone stopped her to tell her that her brake lights weren't working. They were right.

My first suspects were fuse and brake light switch. Well, the fuse is good and there's 12V coming in and out. So, I get flexible and pull the brake light switch. It tests fine.

So, now I check the brake light switch plug. Uh-oh, no power there. That's my problem. Unfortunately, I don't have a wiring service manual, and can't exactly tell how the wire gets from the fuse panel to the brake light switch plug.

I could definitely rig up a 12V wire to the plug to get the lights working, but hate to butcher my pristine rig. Anyone have a schematic I could reference, or know where one is located on the 'net?

Much appreciated.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

jason freudigmann
Send a message via ICQ to jason191918 Send a message via AIM to jason191918 Send a message via MSN to jason191918 Send a message via Yahoo to jason191918
any of these help?

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-16-2007, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

The brake light system on your truck is very simple. Power goes from the brake fuse to the brake switch to the brake bulbs (which are wired in parallel) to ground.

So, if you have power coming out of the brake fuse (are you sure you checked the correct one?), and no power coming in at the brake switch, then you have a broken wire (or connection) between the fuse and the switch. The wiring diagram for my '93 4Runner shows a green with red stripe wire coming to the switch from the fuse, and a green with white stripe wire going from the switch to the brake bulbs.
TJM T15 Front Bumper & Warn M8000, 4xInnovation sliders, Sonoran Steel 1.2 Lift, Toytec LCA Skids, Tundra Brake Upgrade (231mm), Extended rear diff breather, Deckplate Mod, Andymod, Dual batt setup with Optima blue top aux battery, Hardwired 1000W inverter, Aux fuse box, Full time power to 12V plugs, Yaesu FT7800R Radio, "4-air" system for airing up/down tires.

2007 FJ Cruiser - stock

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 10-16-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Do you have trailer wiring? I once saw a trailer harness come apart and cause the rear lights to not work. It was not on a Toyota, but it might be something to check.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

try this: take your fuse and bend both prongs slightly in opposite directions and then put the fuse back in. what happens over time is the fuse doesnt sit in there as tight as it used to and will slip out. when you test the fuse you are putting pressure on it making it contact. This is what happened to me on my 92. Drove me nuts, till the gf's dad came in to the garage, bent the fuse prongs, and then laughed at us.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

I forgot about corroded fuses. That exact thing just happened in my Blazer. My tail lights were not working and it turned out that the fuse got corroded. I scraped the blades off and the lights started working again.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason191918 View Post

For the life of me, I can't find the one that shows the brake light wiring diagram. Is it just me? Good reference pages, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGALLANT View Post
The brake light system on your truck is very simple. Power goes from the brake fuse to the brake switch to the brake bulbs (which are wired in parallel) to ground.

So, if you have power coming out of the brake fuse (are you sure you checked the correct one?), and no power coming in at the brake switch, then you have a broken wire (or connection) between the fuse and the switch. The wiring diagram for my '93 4Runner shows a green with red stripe wire coming to the switch from the fuse, and a green with white stripe wire going from the switch to the brake bulbs.
Yes, the Green/Red wire from fuse to brake light plug appears to be the one I'm having issues with, thanks. I wonder if the wire goes straight from the fuse-panel to the plug, or what? And what's the best way to access it? Pulling the fender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_supernerd View Post
Do you have trailer wiring? I once saw a trailer harness come apart and cause the rear lights to not work. It was not on a Toyota, but it might be something to check.

I thought about this, and do have factory towing package with module under drivers side tailight. But, since I don't even have power at the brake light switch, the problem has to be before the trailer light module.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
try this: take your fuse and bend both prongs slightly in opposite directions and then put the fuse back in. what happens over time is the fuse doesnt sit in there as tight as it used to and will slip out. when you test the fuse you are putting pressure on it making it contact. This is what happened to me on my 92. Drove me nuts, till the gf's dad came in to the garage, bent the fuse prongs, and then laughed at us.
I will try this. can't hurt, right?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll let you know what I find out when I get home from work. That is, unless someone rear-ends the wife. She could use a good rear-ending anyway.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Godzilla, you're the MAN! I was about to rip my dash and front end apart to find that loose wire, but figured "what the hell, I'll spread the stupid fuse".

Bingo!

Thanks again.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
Godzilla, you're the MAN! I was about to rip my dash and front end apart to find that loose wire, but figured "what the hell, I'll spread the stupid fuse".

Bingo!

Thanks again.
hahaha, right on, im glad it worked. I went through the same pain until something as simple as bending the prongs worked.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well its a pretty old thread, but man do I feel like an idiot!!! I have been trying to fix this same problem for a month now and I just got my new brake light switch in the mail today. Of course the new switch did nothing to fix my lights so I decided to search around on the site for an hour and found this thread.

Who would have thought that bending the fuse prongs would fix the dang brake lights. I tested the fuse multiple times and replaced it with a new one twice. I just cant believe I've been stressed about this for a month, if i would have searched a bit harder the first time I would have had the problem fixed in 30 seconds.

Thanks Godzilla, you saved me another weekend of stressing and driving without brake lights. I am going to start bending my fuse prongs first anytime I lose power to something.
Projector Head Light Retro
Front Bumper Build "The Reaper"

Member Profile
Old 08-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_supernerd View Post

i had this happen to me, i just bought a truck and thought i had a nightmare about to happen, you hit the brakes the headlights come on, hit the blinker brake came on, turned the flashers on, well they worked but everything else was retarded. ended up being the trailer switch had drug the ground and all the contacts were touchin each other, i pulld the trailer portion out, and it fixed the problem.

kinda weird about the fuse though, havnt ever heard that one.

http://www.yotatech.com/f199/bigswol...-build-221821/
Old 08-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

You can't add me to the list of people thankful for this thread! Was wondering why my brake lights weren't working, went and got more bulbs and fuses, then saw this. Solved the problem right away.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
TMP

Totally newbie here so hey all. I just brought home my first 4runner tonight. A green 94 in pretty good shape.....get home and the brake lights aren't working. Everything else works fine so I'm going to try the fuse trick and report back tomorrow.
Looking forward to a lot of learning.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:13 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
12v, 1990, brake, good, light, lights, pickup, plug, schematic, schematics, stop, switch, tail, toyota, wire