Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

No 4 wheel high????

Old 02-15-2009, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No 4 wheel high????

I know this is alot but it would be great to get some insite before spending some money to fix the problem. Thanks for your time.

this is a 92 v6 manual with a detroit true track in rear and open front. So i was headed up the mountain to big bear to do some snowboarding and was stoked to have four wheel drive again after replacing a broken cv axle. I was doing about 30mph in 4 wheel high and suddenly my truck just popped out of 4 wheel drive and stopped me dead in my tracks. Had to stop in the middle of the road and put chains on.
So before i put the chains on i tried to put it back into 4 wheel drive period, either low or high. At first i could not do either. The 4wd light would come on it would shift all the way up into low gearing but would not go down into high at alll what so ever. It would shift up into low but was not engaging and would not shift at all into high.
So after a day of boarding i go back to the truck and try again. After letting the truck role forward a little while engaging 4wd low it eventually worked, but still would not even shift down into high.
I am trying to figure out if its something i can fix or if i need to get the transfer case repaired. Also i have had a funcky problem with my tranny or transfer case two, when generally driving in 2wd or 4wd after releasing the clutch a little bit it is not initially engaging until a certain point where it all of a sudden pops and engages power to the driveline and then i finish releasing the clutch. Its almost like something is sticking then suddenly engaging or something?? I can rotate the driveline with my hand a good little bit either way while parked. My gears are good in the rear as i just had it rebuilt thinking it was the problem. Is it the true trac???
So please a little help before i spend some bucks please?

Last edited by Sdecurti; 02-16-2009 at 10:27 AM.