Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

No 4 Low

Old 02-17-2014, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No 4 Low

First off I apologize in advance if there is already a post for this... I have searched the threads, however still a novice to yotatech...

I have a 94 4runner SR5 3.slow automatic..

I can not figure out what happened to my 4Low... 4H works fine and the 4wd light works in both 4L and 4H... It just doesn't want to go into 4L... Is this a common problem? What can I check?
Old 02-21-2014, 09:21 AM

102 views... Any suggestions?

Last edited by jyTulsa; 02-21-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:18 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Unfortunately, the manual doesn't give a lot of troubleshooting information.
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../transfer.html

Have you tried lying under the truck while someone else moves the shifter? If you have a linkage problem, that's how it will show up.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:22 AM

What happens when its in 4L? You will have to be a little more descriptive. Does the shifter physically move into 4L? If it does, what happens? Engine just revs like its in neutral? Does it feel like its binding up? What?

Its kind of like asking us "My 4Runner is broken, does anyone know whats wrong with it?"
Old 02-21-2014, 10:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
You do have the truck stopped and in neutral, right?
Old 02-21-2014, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by AdmiralYoda
What happens when its in 4L? You will have to be a little more descriptive. Does the shifter physically move into 4L? If it does, what happens? Engine just revs like its in neutral? Does it feel like its binding up? What? Its kind of like asking us "My 4Runner is broken, does anyone know whats wrong with it?"
X2. Give us an idea what's going on. The shifter won't move to the 4lo position, do you feel it go into gear, any noises?
Old 02-21-2014, 11:02 AM

The shifter does move into to 4L position however the truck remains in 4H and drives normally as it would in 4H all 4 wheels are engaged but no change in the gearing ... I have tried "on the fly" (under 5mph)...stopped...neutral... reverse and neutral and every combination I can think of.. I will look at the linkage again.
Thanks!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:06 AM

Yes but will check again!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by jyTulsa
The shifter does move into to 4L position however the truck remains in 4H and drives normally as it would in 4H all 4 wheels are engaged but no change in the gearing ... I have tried "on the fly" (under 5mph)...stopped...neutral... reverse and neutral and every combination I can think of.. I will look at the linkage again. Thanks!
For an auto trans you have to be in neutral to shift from high to low range, and vice versa.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:12 AM

I have many times.. Still no luck
Old 02-21-2014, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by JasonYota
For an auto trans you have to be in neutral to shift from high to low range, and vice versa.
I have tried many times...still no luck!

Also forgive me for the reply mess on the post... Not very savvy with the blog format!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:27 AM

What happens when its in 4L? You will have to be a little more descriptive. Does the shifter physically move into 4L? If it does, what happens? Engine just revs like its in neutral? Does it feel like its binding up? What?

Its kind of like asking us "My 4Runner is broken, does anyone know whats wrong with it?"
The shifter does move into to 4L position however the truck remains in 4H and drives normally as it would in 4H all 4 wheels are engaged but no change in the gearing ... I have tried "on the fly" (under 5mph)...stopped...neutral... reverse and neutral and every combination I can think of.. I will look at the linkage again.
Thanks!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:37 AM

I feel like watching the movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray for some reason.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:57 AM

I feel like watching the movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray for some reason.
Sorry.. I will answer as questioned..

Q: What happens when its in 4L?
A: Same as being in 4H

Q: Does the shifter physically move into 4L?
A: Yes!

Q: If it does, what happens?
A: Just like being in 4H

Q: Engine just revs like its in neutral?
A: No... Vehicle runs and drives fine other than no change from 4H

Q: Does it feel like its binding up?
A: No... No binding
Old 02-21-2014, 01:46 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
I believe the automatic transmission on a '94 is integrated with the transfer case, and the Hi-Lo shift is done through a solenoid/vacuum actuator, not through a direct mechanical linkage.
This link http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...28operatio.pdf shows the basic operation. Looks like clutch B4 isn't operating (see diagrams on pages 1 and 4).
All of the other FSM links are in this directory. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...autotrans.html
Old 02-21-2014, 03:11 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by RJR
I believe ... the Hi-Lo shift is done through a solenoid/vacuum actuator, ...
Good catch. In that case, jyTulsa should check for code 65 http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...31diagnosi.pdf

Keep in mind the diagnostic system will only pick up the electrical part of the problem, but it is certainly the first place to check.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by RJR
I believe the automatic transmission on a '94 is integrated with the transfer case, and the Hi-Lo shift is done through a solenoid/vacuum actuator, not through a direct mechanical linkage.
This link http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...28operatio.pdf shows the basic operation. Looks like clutch B4 isn't operating (see diagrams on pages 1 and 4).
All of the other FSM links are in this directory. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...autotrans.html
This is great info!! I will be digging into this to see if I can get it fixed... Thanks!!
Old 02-21-2014, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Good catch. In that case, jyTulsa should check for code 65 http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...31diagnosi.pdf

Keep in mind the diagnostic system will only pick up the electrical part of the problem, but it is certainly the first place to check.
I will check the codes
Thanks!!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:01 PM

I am assuming the A340H.
The electrical switch for 4WD is on the drivers side of the auto trans.
First thing to look for is if the linkage from the shift lever to the switch arm, Make sure there is no excess play from bad bushings.
Also that the horseshoe shape linkage going around the back of the trans shaft is not bent or pulled from the upper body mount (Notorious problem when a inexperienced tries to drop the trans without unmounting this first).
The 4WD switch has 3 positions being OFF, 4H and 4L.
The 4H position turns a valve in the trans and sends a signal to ADD and for the ECU to turn on OD.
The 4L position also sends power to the planetary gear set to lock, This is just a wire set that travels over the top of the trans to the passenger side of the trans.

After the linkage is checked then look over the wiring harness from the drivers side of the trans to the passenger side to the solenoid for wear.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:08 AM

I shorted the connectors TE1 and E1 and the OD light flashes 2 times per second indicating the electrical system is functioning properly.
I crawled under the truck and had my son to operate the shifter and checked for play or wear. All seems to be fine. Double checked the wires on the tranny and all look connected and no signs of wear or breakage.. This problem really has me scratching my head!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No 4 Low