Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Nitrous Oxide Systems V6 EFI Sniper Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Nitrous Oxide Systems V6 EFI Sniper Kit

When I did my 95 4runner 3vze rebuild I installed a nitrous kit on it and thought I should get around to doing a write up and review on it. Some of you will shake your heads at me for this, some will want to do it too, and some just won't care. But here it is for anyone who wants to know.

I bought my kit from summit for about $380, the fuel supply line to bring fuel from the fuel rail to the fuel solnoid they provided was too short so i spent another $15 on a two foot line and the kit does not include a pressure gauge so that was another $34. The kit is a very basic fogger system and sould take the average mechanicly inclined person only about 2 hours to install.

The first part of instillation I did was the electronics.

here is the basic relay that comes in the kit, I chose to place it here so it would be close to the solenoids and the micro switch which I placed on the throttle body. I do not recommend attempting to mount the micro switch behind the gas pedal, It is much simpler to mount it on the throttle body and requires less wiring. Also placing the relay here wave me access to a good ground on the body and to a gromet on the fire wall.

From the relay you want to route the orange wire around the front of the engine compartment to the positive battery terminal, ground the green wire on the conviently placed 10mm screw, leave the blue and red wire for now, these are the micro switch and solenoid power wires. After this I installed the arming switch that lets power flow to the micro switch which in turn lets power flow to the solniods when wide open throttle is acheived. you will need two wires for this switch, a switched ignition power source (I used my stereo's power wire) and a wire that will come out of the fire wall and into the engine compartment, this will go to the micro switch. You can install a ground on the arming switch if you want the little red light to work.

the instillation of the arming switch will require you to remove either the center console or you can mount it in one of the switch ports on the left hand side of the dash. With a razor blade, a file, and some crazy glue I was able to mount my arming switch in a pop-out change holder.

Now for the solenoids. I mounted both on my driverside wheel well loosely at first so I could turn them to meet the fuel and nitrous lines later. After tightening the mounts down be sure to grind or file the tips of the screws that are now poking through the well.

Be sure to use teflon PASTE not TAPE on NPT fittings. Teflon tape can clog the filters in the solniods if it comes loose. Do not use any sealer on tapered AN type fittings. Next is the solenoid power wires, the solenoids are not polarity specific, just choose one wire from each, and ground them on another nearby 10mm screw. Combine the other two wires and leave them for now.

Next is the fuel supply line. Remove the banjo fitting on the front of the fuel rail and drill it with a 1/4 drill bit dead center, this is soft metal and won't take long, next tap the hole with the provided tap and screw the provided brass fitting into the banjo fitting and use teflon paste. BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVER TIGHTEN. I broke this fitting and had to re drill and tap the banjo and replace the supply fitting, don't make the same mistake I did. Reinstall the banjo on the fuel rail and connect the supply line. BE SURE TO DOUBLE CHECK WHICH PORT ON THE SOLENOIDS ARE IN/OUT. Next is the nitrous supply, I routed this from the cargo area, under my rear seats and then along the frame, up the firewall to my solenoid.

Now for the micro switch, take the provided mounting bracket and completely cut off the arm of it and save the square part, take micro switch and a marker and have someone hold the butterfly wide open, push the switch against the butterfly stop untill it clicks and mark on the cable bracket where it should mount, then remove, drill and mount.

Now connect the red wire on the relay to the micro switch and the arming wire to it as well. connect the blue wire on the relay (not the blue wire above) to the solnoid wires. Now drill the intake, tap, and insert y fitting, make sure it is about 6 inches before a bend and is lined up, connect your fuel and nitrous lines to the y fitting.

Now mount your tank where you please, connect all AN fittings and test everything.

The kit came with three different recommended jetting configurations for horsepower gains of 35, 50, and 75. I am currently using the largest nitrous jet and the smaller nitrous jet for the fuel so i have a slightly leaner mixture, the recommended jettings were a little rich to ensure the survivability of a stock motor. I have now used this kit liberally to see if holley's claims are true, and they are. I have not even had any knocking or pinging with 87 octane gas and they recommend 91 or better. The 3vze holds up to this well and i'm playing on the liberal side of the mixture, I'm sure it would be %100 fine with the smaller jets. Now this isn't crawling power because the system only operates on WOT, so this is like 2 lane highway or freeway ramp power, or you can do what I do and and stoplight drag against a 5vzfe taco like a jackass. All in all I am satisfied with my purchase and highly recommend it to the yotatech community.

Last edited by Tracey98277; 01-15-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do you purge the nitrous line? Or does it not have a purge valve...
Old 12-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mastacox
How do you purge the nitrous line? Or does it not have a purge valve...
i don't have a purge valve but it would be nice to have one, what i have done is when ever i refill the tank and run it for a second to purge the system then leave my line pressurized but you could manually purge it by loosening the an fitting at the solnoid before leaving home.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracey98277
i don't have a purge valve but it would be nice to have one, what i have done is when ever i refill the tank and run it for a second to purge the system then leave my line pressurized but you could manually purge it by loosening the an fitting at the solnoid before leaving home.
Well the point of a purge valve is to purge the line with a button just before you use the nitrous, but it probably doesn't matter in your case. This is a very economical way to add 50hp to the 3.slow, that's for sure.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Contributing Member

yeah it just hesitates for a split second but thats all. and out of all i've done to this motor the nitrous is the cheapest install and the most powerful, its just limited lifespan so you have to take tank refills into account on the cost. they are usually $45.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Contributing Member

but thats from a racing shop, i'm sure you can buy the same nitrous plus at any welding supply shop for cheaper.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 PM

Now.. What I would like to see is a 3.4L v6 with nitrous on it. Thinking about puting nitrous on my truck. That would be funny to see a screaming 99 4runner going down the road lol.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

that thing would haul some major ass.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4runnerteen
Now.. What I would like to see is a 3.4L v6 with nitrous on it. Thinking about puting nitrous on my truck. That would be funny to see a screaming 99 4runner going down the road lol.
There's a guy that used to be on the forum - I think his screen name was "NX Taco" or something. Anyway, I saw him refilling a Nitrous bottle when I lived in Phx and started up a conversation with him and invited him to Yotatech. He made it all the way to a 125-shot I believe before he ran into issues with the intake manifold (not the engine). Long story short: Running nitrous on the 5VZ has been done, and successfully. The 5VZ can take a lot of abuse, that's for sure.

Hey Tracey - Can you take an in-cab video with and w/o nitrous? That would be cool to see.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 12-30-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:53 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
I wanna see some dyno tests...
Old 12-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rimpainter.com
There's a guy that used to be on the forum - I think his screen name was "NX Taco" or something. Anyway, I saw him refilling a Nitrous bottle when I lived in Phx and started up a conversation with him and invited him to Yotatech. He made it all the way to a 125-shot I believe before he ran into issues with the intake manifold (not the engine). Long story short: Running nitrous on the 5VZ has been done, and successfully. The 5VZ can take a lot of abuse, that's for sure.

Hey Tracey - Can you take an in-cab video with and w/o nitrous? That would be cool to see.
yeah i'll do that tomorrow if i get a chance but i'll pm you when ever i get that on here. and that guy blew his manifold cause he was running a lean 125 shot with a SC and it pre-ignited the entire mix in the manifold and annilated it.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Contributing Member

sorry to kill the mood around here guys but i got to go. I just got a phone call, my uncle rolled his jeep out at the salton sea in california earlier this evening.

R.I.P. Chuck Stoffel
Old 12-30-2009, 11:54 PM

Wow thats terrible!

Sorry to hear about that.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

they found out what happened this morning. he was comming back into camp and had his harness unbuckled and went to whip a doughnut in the road, caught the edge of the enbankment, was thrown out, and the jeep rolled over him. guys wear those seat belts! this stuff happens when you least expect it!
Old 12-31-2009, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
makes me wander how my 22re would handle a 50 shot
Old 12-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

my motor now has 2,000 miles on it but we'll see. it has held up to some real abuse so far and i think its going to survive. the v6 sniper kit is also designed for 4 cyl. motors too.

here is my video, its not too good but the *nitrous takes my 0-60 time from about 13 seconds to about 9.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJpF0-Odicc

Last edited by Tracey98277; 12-31-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: there... fixed.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

oh no, FAIL... don't call it nos, please... you make it sound like that dork from Fast and Furious installed it...
Old 12-31-2009, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Gnarly4X
My Lord, did he make it OK? How badly is he injured?

gNARLS.
no he did not unfortunately. his son was able to pull him out from underneath it but there wasn't anything he could do for him.

always wear your seat belt. its the only thing keeping you in the car.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
oh no, FAIL... don't call it nos, please... you make it sound like that dork from Fast and Furious installed it...
hahaha... sorry its a bad habit.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tracey98277
hahaha... sorry its a bad habit.
lol, we forgive you

Originally Posted by Gnarly4X
Did you try it???

The stock pistons may not handle the heat.... but how many people do you know that have run a bottle on a stock 22R/RE???

gNARLs.
well I don't have stock pistons; a lot of my 22re isn't stock

Quick Reply: Nitrous Oxide Systems V6 EFI Sniper Kit