Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Newbie w/a Restoration Dream (need advice)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie w/a Restoration Dream (need advice)

(This is gonna be long, but please read it, I need the advice, thanks in advance) ˟ Hey guys, first post here, or really on any forum for that matter, so forgive me if I seem a little clueless about the way things work. After seeing "Noobs" like myself ragged for countless "re-asks" I tried to find this info by searching, but I just couldn't come up with the exact results I needed, so I'm hoping to gain the needed insight from all the people here who really seem to know their stuff. ˟ ˟ Ok well here's the deal, I love 4x4's from the 80's, and it's been my dream for a while to restore one to like new condition and use it as a DD. After several years of browsing and countless flip-flopping from truck to truck, I've settled on an 86-89 4runner 5speed 4x4. I hope to make y'all my main source of information/guidance for this project since I'm a fairly young and inexperienced mechanic at 20 years old and this will be my first engine rebuild and restoration. But I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and half the fun is learning on the fly IMO. ˟I'll be finishing school in December, and would like to get my hands on one & start work on it around the 1st of the year, so I figure I had best start the planning phase now, cause the last thing I want is to get halfway done and realize I missed a project crippling detail because I didn't allow adequate "details" planning time. BTW I plan to do a full write up on it from the day I get it till I declare it finished.

˟My first concern is obviously the engine and is what I'll base my buy on. Since this will be a DD I really want it to have plenty of power, I mean life is stressful enough without having to be mad at your car everytime you have to traverse an interstate on-ramp, your car should be your happy place, agreed? ˟I want enough power to run 70-75 all day and 80-85 when I'm late. I also don't want to achieve this by just jacking up my axle ratios so high I'm figuring my mileage in miles per barrel when I'm on the interstate because I do a solid amount of interstate driving. Obviously I want the best fuel economy/power balance I can get (goal is an all around avg. in the mid 20 mpgs (probly just wishful thinking)) but power is the main focus. And let's not forget towing, I'd like the ability to tow about ˟3-4000lbs on occasion(again, maybe just wishful thinking). I plan to run 32"-33" A/Ts or M/Ts with no more than 3" of lift. ˟So my question is what's my best option? I feel like this is the first step, deciding which 4runner to buy. One with a 22re? 22rte? 3vze? no engine at all? I can basically do anything I want, cause ˟I live in Alabama (Roll Tide), so there is goose egg for inspection and emissions, if the car has blinkers and at least one headlight it's considered road worthy. Haha

˟˟Obviously the famed 22re offers mucho reliabilityo, but is also infamous for lacking the needed horses for the daily chariot races. Should I keep the 22re for reliability and simplicity sake and just do some performance mods to achieve the afore stated performance (i.e. cam, injectors, intake, exhaust, etc.)? The turbo version I've heard is becoming very rare ( even to find just the engine alone) and wasn't particularly attractive when you factor in upkeep on the turbo, and I've heard that trying to add a turbo is just a huge PITA, so I haven't put much thought into the turbo side of things.

˟Next is the 3vze, which from what I understand basically got the recessive genes in the Toyota family, and is the worst choice, so I'm not really considering it to be much of an option unless someone can talk me into it.˟

I've heard lots of talk about the 3.4L, but what about ease of maintenance and installation ? are the electronics significantly more on the 3.4 being that it's newer? I'm not the biggest fan of electronics and sensors save the God-sent EFI. Although I could probably cope if this is the engine that with give me my power/economy goals. And Ive heard that if you started with a 3.0 then the 3.4 is practically bolt-on, which would probably be nice for a beginner like me, and I assume I should try to find a runner with the 3.0 if I'm going to go this route. ˟

The bigger engines I've heard about swapping in like the good ole Chevy 350, vortec 4.3, or a ford 5.0, seem like overkill in the power dept and a tragedy in the mileage dept, all for naught. Plus I imagine it to be a much more complicated swap.

Ive also considered diesel. From what I've read the toyota diesel is rare to find and not very impressive. I've heard of people doing a swap to the Volkswagen 1.8/1.9tdi and I like the idea of diesel for obvious reasons like power and reliability, but I'm not wild about how cold-natured they are, I like the ability to crank up and get gone when need be, so i'm not dead set on a diesel at the moment. Plus this would probably add alot of cost to the project, as well as being pretty tough for a beginner like me. I can only imagine the fab work involved in going from gas to diesel. Not to mention the wiring, and when it comes to wiring, I might as well be dragging my knuckles and talking in grunts.

I'm sure there are some engine possibilities I've left out, so please feel free to add or subtract from this list, and give your opinions and recommendations, cause like I said, I'm really looking for some guidance in this whole undertaking, and I feel like the first thing to do is decide what runner to start off with. Or maybe i'm completely in over my head, feel free to let me know that too. You'll save me alot of money. ˟Thanks for reading everyone
Old 11-13-2011, 09:02 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Welcome to YT. Based off of what you wrote down, and being that your rig of choice is a 1st gen 4runner, 5 speed, with lots of power and reliable, I would recommend an 88 or 89 4Runner with the 3vze and then do the 3.4 swap for it. The knowledge base for the 3.0 to 3.4 swap is plentiful.

Robd is running 26 mpg highway with a 3.4, 33's and 4.10 gearing in a 2nd gen 4Runner.

This is not a cheap venture, but a reliable one that is common, has been done many times, and will result in a reliable rig with plenty if power for daily driving.

I would read over the 3.4 swap threads. Figure out what you are going to do as far as wiring, and a crossover. If this seems within your reach, go for it. You could always buy the 3.0 and run it for a while and wrench on it til you get a little more comfortable attempting the swap.

Happy reading.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kiyobrown
Welcome to YT. Based off of what you wrote down, and being that your rig of choice is a 1st gen 4runner, 5 speed, with lots of power and reliable, I would recommend an 88 or 89 4Runner with the 3vze and then do the 3.4 swap for it. The knowledge base for the 3.0 to 3.4 swap is plentiful.

Robd is running 26 mpg highway with a 3.4, 33's and 4.10 gearing in a 2nd gen 4Runner.

This is not a cheap venture, but a reliable one that is common, has been done many times, and will result in a reliable rig with plenty if power for daily driving.

I would read over the 3.4 swap threads. Figure out what you are going to do as far as wiring, and a crossover. If this seems within your reach, go for it. You could always buy the 3.0 and run it for a while and wrench on it til you get a little more comfortable attempting the swap.

Happy reading.
Very good advice!

Having had a nice 86 4runner with a modified 22RE and 33's I can say that it was way slow. I had 4.88 gears and I hated driving it on the freeway. I have had a couple of 3.0 trucks and they are much better on the freeway but still not great, especially the gas mileage.

I bought my most recent 3.0 truck with the intention of swapping in a 3.4 when this motor goes.

I would look for a rustfree 88 or 89 3.0 with a nice interior. For the cost involved to swap in a 3.4 it's worth starting with a nice truck.

Welcome and good luck.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:09 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
You want the power/ability to tow 4K. Don't forget the ability to stop.
Add brake upgrades to your research.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:37 AM

Good call. I will be upgrading my brakes as well.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:40 PM

Welcome to YT. 1st Gen runners are great. I had a 86 Runner with 35s 4"suspension 3"BL with stock 22re, except for exhaust. It was fine for city but could barely get 65 but had stock gears. 22re or 3.4L would be best bet along with brake upgreate like OC said.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Welcome to YT.

Lots of info aboot everything. Just research, research and make a plan.

1st gen 4Runners rule.(period)

Old 11-14-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Welcome to YT.

Lots of info aboot everything. Just research, research and make a plan.

1st gen 4Runners rule.(period)

indeed.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hello fatkid216...Just read through your post. Doing a restore is rewarding and doing it yourself is something you can that you did yourself is something that just cant be bought.

I have done some restore myself and want to give the best info I can from my experience. I seen you are just getting out of school and can applaud you for your dream. If you go this route, I will be your biggest fan. So dont take anything wrong from what I may suggest.

As far as motors. I would suggest getting the body you want with motor you want. I would advise against doing a motor swap until you get some experience under your belt. But if you do go this route there is plenty of info and people willing to help you through it.

You might want to spend a little more on a solid truck. Getting a basket case can quickly exceed an over priced nice truck. Paint, motor rebuild,machine work can turn that bargain into a money pit. On this if you look at my builds it may seem Im am being double standard or dont do as I do.

Depending on your ability, funds, resources, a place and another is time to get to do a project all need to be considered to do a restore. There are plenty of dead threads on here where people got in over their heads or have to pay to have things done for them that cost just stopped them.

A typical restore can take 2 years easily and it is not uncommon for some to go 10 years. Just depends on how deep you want to go into it. Another thing I forgot is PATIENCE!!!

If you do get one done and do it yourself you should be able to get your money back out of it, but if you include your time, you will NEVER get your money out of it. I have sold 2 that I have done and managaed to get my money back out of them. But I can tell you, when you put your blood, sweat, tears, money, time into a build you will be reluctant to let it go.

I am not trying to discourage you but trying to get you to consider how much of a project you want to get into.

Something I do is get a pic of somehow I want it to look like and run like and keep that as my goal. When funds are tight, there is always something that needs cleaned, fixed, or prepped for when you get the funds to do the next task. Enjoy each little accomplishment even if it is not running. Like getting the parts you need, getting the motor together, getting tranny in or even getting the right tool for the job.

Get you a build thread and keep track of where you are at and where you still want to go to get it finished. I did a 88 and hopefully there are somethings in my build that will save you alot of money and get some problems fixed for you.

Wishing you the best of luck.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:12 PM

There is some very good advice in here already. One engine I don't know if you came across is the Lexus 1UZ-FE v8. It is growing in popularity as a good toyota brand swap, I am hoping to do this to my 3vz 4runner in the next few years. It is a very reliable 250hp/260tq engine, the engines themselves are cheap although swap parts can get expensive depending upon what you buy or make/do yourself (mounts, wiring, etc.). I don't know on fuel economy, I somewhat remember people getting close to 20 but don't quote me on that.
Whatever you decide upon, good luck and keep us informed!
Old 11-24-2011, 09:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fuel wise my lexus sc400 *1uZ-fe* was great on long trips but sucked on the stop and go. but plenty of power. then again prem unleaded gas is high $. btw welcome to YT .

i had thoughts of restoring as well. but the more i drove it the more it took me places i couldn't go before can't wait to see ur build thread or restore.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to YT kiyobrown :}