86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Newbie (Sorta) needing a little help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie (Sorta) needing a little help.

Hello Yotatech members, I will introduce myself and give a little background info before I start asking questions. Im 37yrs old and have been in and around offroading for close to 30yrs. I have had 1 toyota (94 Extra cab 4x4) and several other 4x4's . I currently have my trail rig: 2000 Jeep TJ, modified with custom cage, full width axles, etc...etc... 2005 Dodge Ram reg cab Dually as a tow rig. I have recently purchased a "basketcase" barn find 86 4runner. Specs's are as follows: Bone stock 22re auto. No lift, original everything and the top has never been off and there is only one small rust bubble on the drivers rear fender. Here's the Basket case part. The engine was partially disassembled when bought and i basically have a greasy jigsaw puzzle on my hands. I have removed the engine to rebuild and correct all of the shade tree mickey mouse BS repairs from 30 yrs of questionable mechanic work.
My plan is to rebuild the engine and swap in a 5spd while im at it in the hopes to make this a reliable DD and light duty weekend adventure rig. I am in no need for a rock bouncer or hard core trail rig. The Jeep is tried and true in that dept and will keep it for its intended purpose.
Here is what i need help with:
1.OEM Wiring diagram
2.Picture of a completely assembled engine Outside of the vehicle. ( mainly the belt routing) The runner has A/C and PS. Reason i am asking for this is because i have a Idler/tensioner pulley bracket that i have no idea where it belongs and the pulley needs replaced. It is a flat pulley not a V groove. I have not yet seen one using Google images .
I have already been emailed a FSM that covers my Red "DOG" pretty closely but I really need a Pin out for the ECM /Wiring harness since it has been cut and spliced many times. I have sourced a replacement but some of the wire colors are different.

Thank you all in advance !
Old 12-27-2016, 08:51 AM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by J/Cope79
1.OEM Wiring diagram
2.Picture of a completely assembled engine Outside of the vehicle. ( mainly the belt routing) The runner has A/C and PS. Reason i am asking for this is because i have a Idler/tensioner pulley bracket that i have no idea where it belongs and the pulley needs replaced. It is a flat pulley not a V groove. I have not yet seen one using Google images .
I have already been emailed a FSM that covers my Red "DOG" pretty closely but I really need a Pin out for the ECM /Wiring harness since it has been cut and spliced many times. I have sourced a replacement but some of the wire colors are different.
!
1) i'm not sure that the fsm that can be downloaded has the entire wiring diagram, i think that there is a separate fsm for just wiring?
2)i don't know of any factory flat belt pulley, afaik they are all vgroove.
3)what year is the replacement harness
Old 12-27-2016, 10:20 AM

The harness is supposed to be from an 86, however i am not sure which is why im seeking help on here. most of the plugs look the same but wire colors are different in places. Some of it i will not need since i am "desmogging/ EGR deleting" it .
A good working link to the EWD part of the manual is what i am needing. Or if someone has it and could just email me the pages i am needing would be fine. The Chilton manual I have is kinda hard to work with on the electrical part.
The flat pulley is why i also asked the question on here since throughout all of the pictures i have looked at i have yet to see one. Im starting to think it was part of the previous owner's or their mechanic's mistakes.
I know this lil rig has potential but its a long way from glory at the moment.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I had to re wire a truck with a donor harness. Previous owner tried to put a 92 harness in an 85 truck. I tried to make it work but there is just to many differences between the two generations that I would get a donor harness from a 89-94. Each year Toyota has changed a few wiring colors and some times plugs for the same generation of truck.

The part number for the Main Harness is just above the steering column. You may need to remove the speedometer cluster to see the white tag. I have Googled that part number and it would tell me which year truck it came from. I am more familiar with the previous generation of trucks (84-88) but even the same year trucks, there can be several different part numbers for each truck. My reason for believing the different part number is due to the options that each harness provided such as Cruise Control, Glove Box Light, Low Level Fuel Light,.....

I am unaware of any Electrical Diagrams or where to get one, but I have worked on a few 89-94 trucks that each year they kept getting a little more emissions on them and is why I would suggest getting a complete harness from a donor truck from bumper to bumper. I have swapped several harnesses and see to many changes from year to year. I am currently swapping harnesses on a truck and it has some differences just from one year difference.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:25 AM

Thats why i was hoping that a diagram or "pin out" chart or whatever it may be called, would be available for the ECM. If the plugs are the same, and the circuits are the same, then the color of wire wouldnt matter.
Where would the OEM part number be for the wiring harness i have currently? Is there a tag or engraved P/N somewhere that i havent noticed? Not sure if i made it clear earlier, but the harness that is hacked up is the engine side of the harness. The "replacement" harness that i have sourced is supposed to be from a 86 with an auto but it may possibly be from a truck instead of a 4runner. Either way the plugs on the ECM side match up, but as earlier mentioned , some of the wire colors are different.
Thank youfor the help so far and im sure with the broad knowledge on here we can get this figured out.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:31 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
I had to re wire a truck with a donor harness. Previous owner tried to put a 92 harness in an 85 truck. I tried to make it work but there is just to many differences between the two generations that I would get a donor harness from a 89-94. Each year Toyota has changed a few wiring colors and some times plugs for the same generation of truck.

The part number for the Main Harness is just above the steering column. You may need to remove the speedometer cluster to see the white tag. I have Googled that part number and it would tell me which year truck it came from. I am more familiar with the previous generation of trucks (84-88) but even the same year trucks, there can be several different part numbers for each truck. My reason for believing the different part number is due to the options that each harness provided such as Cruise Control, Glove Box Light, Low Level Fuel Light,.....

I am unaware of any Electrical Diagrams or where to get one, but I have worked on a few 89-94 trucks that each year they kept getting a little more emissions on them and is why I would suggest getting a complete harness from a donor truck from bumper to bumper. I have swapped several harnesses and see to many changes from year to year. I am currently swapping harnesses on a truck and it has some differences just from one year difference.
maybe OP added it, but it states the truck is an '86, not '89 and later.

there is a wiring schematic in the toyota fsm. there is also a toyota electrical/wiring fsm, but these are rare.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by wallytoo
maybe OP added it, but it states the truck is an '86, not '89 and later.

there is a wiring schematic in the toyota fsm. there is also a toyota electrical/wiring fsm, but these are rare.
Alright cool, I will look again to see if i have overlooked it.
Yes the 4runner is a 1986.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:15 AM

i don't know about the downloadable version of the fsm, i have a hard copy for my '87.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:29 AM

I wouldnt think there would be that much difference in the 87 and 86...I do have a FSM for the 88 4runner. It would be interesting to compare the wiring diagrams between the two .
Old 12-28-2016, 08:05 AM

there are some differences between early '86 and the '87 models. the '87 had the diagnostic connector with multiple ports, ie, to jump Fp and B+, or to run in base timing mode.

there are also some relays present in '87 not found in early '86s.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I miss read the original post. I thought you were trying to put a 94 harness into an 86. Like Wally mentioned, there is some differences in the wiring and the Diagnostic Port is one of them. 87 they started using more square plugs over the round plugs. Toyota changed 2 of the 4 wiring color stripes on the Wiper motor alone. All blue wires but the stripes changed. There are others wire colors they changed as well that I cant recall right off.

Here is the differences in Diagnostic Ports.

How to get Check Engine Codes. I just put this up for others. Applies to 87 and up. 86 and older is the bottom picture. TE1/E1
Name:  T1E1.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  71.1 KB

The Diagnostic port for the 85-86 is on the Drivers side inner fender and is nothing the same as the 87 and up. Here is T1 and E1 jumped. The codes and engine flashes are the same as the rest of the trucks on the dash.
Name:  86diag.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  70.7 KB

Codes...http://4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/...es/index.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qEQM...ature=youtu.be

Here is how you do a Fuel Pump Bypass on the 85/86.
Jumper wire the Yellow Plug on Drivers side. ( Jumper wire should be in both contacts for testing, I just didnt have it in for picture purposes and mostly a referece for me at a later time.)

Fp +B Fuel Pump Test for 87 and newer. Use a paper clip for better results.
Name:  fpb_zpsc5e91bc0.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  85.5 KB[/

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-28-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:11 AM

Ok that is one of the differences in the harness that is original and the harness that i have bought. The purchased harness has the square black Diagnostic port and the original harness has what im assuming to be the diagnostic ports on the Drivers fender in two rubber grommets that are mounted to the fender. The rest of the connections seem to match up with the exception of some color differences. The Diagnostic ports definitely had me puzzled. Which is also why im hoping to find out exactly what i have so that i can compare the two diagrams. After that I think it will be just a matter of laying them both out and comparing the two while testing and cleaning everything as i go.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:18 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Dealer or TiS could print the page your looking for. Probably quicker to just sit down with a probe and the harnesses really.

I'm not aware of any changes at the ECU, since the scanned 88 FSM is so widely used surely lots would have said so if there were issues..

​​​​​​anyways, the pinout is in the EFI section or given per system on the wiring diagram at the back of an FSM. The Haynes should have the same information. I always liked the Haynes foldout diagrams, but we're spoiled with searchable data now
Old 12-29-2016, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Dealer or TiS could print the page your looking for. Probably quicker to just sit down with a probe and the harnesses really.

I'm not aware of any changes at the ECU, since the scanned 88 FSM is so widely used surely lots would have said so if there were issues..

​​​​​​anyways, the pinout is in the EFI section or given per system on the wiring diagram at the back of an FSM. The Haynes should have the same information. I always liked the Haynes foldout diagrams, but we're spoiled with searchable data now
haynes has erroneous data and information. the fsm has several foldout pages of wiring diagrams.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by wallytoo
haynes has erroneous data and information. the fsm has several foldout pages of wiring diagrams.
examples please
Old 12-29-2016, 08:40 AM

Alright this is exactly what i was hoping would come up in this thread.
If I have time today after work i will get pictures of everything to add to this discussion, As previously stated I bought a half assembled,greasy jigsaw puzzle. For example, literally half of the bolts to the intake plenum, timing cover, oil pump , and water pump are either missing or questionable. I plan to chase every threaded hole out to ensure that when i do source all of the correct metric hardware that i hopefully will not have any issues. I have already found a list and bolt location for the timing cover , however a similar list for the oil pump and water pump is being searched for.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:28 AM

Yay bad memory, I would have sworn the oil and water pump bolts were listed on that awesome timing cover picture. If Google doesn't pop up the images you'll maybe need to dig into the epcdata, parts catalog will list the thread and shank lengths.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:36 AM

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss52/xxxtreme22r/yota%20parts/224853396.png

Here is the intake, the inset shows the location, quantity and part numbers for bolts and studs
Old 12-29-2016, 10:33 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Here is the timing cover
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...e1483039878665
Attached Thumbnails Newbie (Sorta) needing a little help.-photo148.jpg  
Old 12-29-2016, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
examples please
i no longer have the haynes manual; i threw it away once i procured a fsm. there most certainly are errors and bad information in it, however. the problem is knowing what data/info is incorrect; without knowledge, or the fsm to compare to, it is a blind undertaking.