86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Newb, Need Help with Dads Truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb, Need Help with Dads Truck

Hi all. Glad to join the community. So why I'm here. My dad past away a few years ago and left us his 92 toyota pickup truck. 4 cylinder and upon research it looks like a 22re?? Anyway, its been sitting ever since and running really bad. It never died, just ran really bad. Finally this year i decided to get the truck on the road again as my dad would have loved. The timing chain was replaced a few years ago so I didn't bother with that. I noticed some leaks which i couldn't tell if it was oil or coolant or a mix. With no previous experience on these trucks, i took it upon myself to replace the oil pan gasket and the timing seals. It was quite a pain for me and ontop of that, its still leaking somewhere??? Any how, when i was reassembling everything, i screwed up the distributor install and it the truck didn't start up. I followed instructions form the forum here to fix the distributor and it starts up now but takes a crank or two before it does.. intermittenly when reving the engine for 5 seconds or so, it comes back down to a very low idle as if it wants to stall. I've read about adjusting the timing dynamically which i have not done yet but will this weekend. Can anyone help me figure out what could be my issue here? hard start, sometimes low idle, and still some leak that drips at the center of the truck. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:06 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
hard start could be just the issue with the timing. You have to adjust the timing by using the jumper method. Plenty of threads on how to do that here.

As for the oil pan and possible leak, did you use a gasket or just rtv to seal it. Another lengthy thread on oil pan gaskets here. You can find that and it will let you know the proper way to do it, as I have a feeling your oil pan gasket is still leaking.

You never really say if the leak is in the font of the motor or the rear. But you do say center of the truck. Which also leads me to believe it's the rear of the engine. That can be a rear main seal or the oil pan gasket.

If its the front of the motor, there is also a small chance the oil could be coming from the oil pump o-ring, timing cover gasket, or the part of the head gasket that separates the head and the timing cover.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:12 AM

thanks.

I'll have to get a timing light gun and I'll adjust the timing. As for the leak, I'm not sure where its coming from exactly, i just know it drips right under the center of the truck, wich would make me believe its the oild pan gasket again. Rear main seal huh? I'll have to search more on that.

I only used a gasket on the oil pan, i guess i can try the rtv stuff. I did notice a little leaking at the front of the enine too, i didnt even think about the oil pump o-ring.. hmm.. i have lots to do this weekend.

Are their other types of gaskets for the timing seals besides the paper ones? Are the paper ones the best?
Old 07-09-2010, 05:21 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Factory Service Manual
www.ncttora.com/fsm

Old 07-09-2010, 05:28 AM

wow. thanks.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if the leak is at the back of the motor, it might be the valve cover or the D shaped gasket .it will look like the one in the front of the head below the valve cover. they get hard after time . the D shaped seals are part of the valve cover gasket set.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by swampfox
if the leak is at the back of the motor, it might be the valve cover or the D shaped gasket .it will look like the one in the front of the head below the valve cover. they get hard after time . the D shaped seals are part of the valve cover gasket set.

care to elaborate a little more? a picture maybe of the D shaped gasket. thanks
Old 07-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

I would also take the time to do a full tune-up on the motor.
Plugs, air filter, PCV valve, clean TB, oil/filter, fuel filter, etc...

That stuff can have a bigger impact than some people realize.

Sounds like you're off to a good start - looking forward to seeing the progress.

Oh...and welcome to YotaTech!

Fink
Old 07-09-2010, 03:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i don't have a photo , but if you look up a valve cover gasket set it should show 2 of them . there is one in front of the head between the valve cover and the timing cover and one in the back of the head just under the vc.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

prone to mass leakage

just stick your hand back behind the rear of the valve cover, between the firewall; you'll known very quickly if that's where the oil is coming from. it seeps out, and runs down the engine and trans and everything... makes a hell of a mess... BUT, it's an easy fix

agree with Fink about the tune up; if it's been sitting a while, I'd bet the contacts in the cap and rotor are all corroded up, an the gas may not be all that good either, so run that mess out, or drain it if you can

Old 07-09-2010, 04:20 PM

good call on the possible rear oil leak, forgot about that little bugger up there.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:03 AM

okay, so this weekend, i took off the the head and timing cover. I guess i'll replace the plastic guides with metal ones since i have it off. Should I be able to see what this rear oil leak is coming from? I'm going to take off the oil pan through out the week after work and use RTV to seal. I just want to replace all gaskgets because i dont want it to keep leaking after i put everything back on.

for taking the oil pan off, last time i just unbolted the diff. from the shaft and from the front connecting point which allowed it to rotate on the axels. Would anyone suggest i just take the whole thing out??
Old 07-12-2010, 06:05 AM

auto or manual tans?
Old 07-12-2010, 06:28 AM

automatic.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:50 AM

92toy just did a write up not too long ago on how to remove the oil pan in his 92 auto. Search and you will find it. Most of the write ups you will see here are for the manual trans trucks. Which is a little easier.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:43 AM

okay, so I'm ready to put the head back on. I deteremined that the leak was not oil, but coolant. Again this was dripping at the center of the truck. hmm?? I replaced the half moon seals on the head. I couldn't really find any other seals on the head to replace. This afternoon i will try to put everything back together.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:17 PM

so its been a while.. but i've been slowly working on the truck.. finally replaced all gaskets, got the oil pan back on and all vacuum hoses connected which was really difficult for me but eventually figured it out.. well, as i suspected, the start up did not start. I'm sure the battery is dead, but we tried to jump start it. as we hooked up the jumpers all the lights inside came on. good.. but when we go to turn the key, it just clicks and the fan spins like once and then nothing. I tried this several times and the same. left the car charging for a few minutes and the same thing.. I read on another thread that the ground wires must be attached or this will happen. I think i forgot to connect these ground wires.. by the rear of the engine by the fire wall and one on the passenger side.. can anyone direct me where to bolt these to?
Old 04-11-2011, 05:49 PM

okay.. i found the ground wires.. hooked them up and still nothing.. would a seized motor even crank, click, fan spin?? I'll have to test out the battery and buy a new one tomorrow..
Old 04-12-2011, 04:09 PM

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It starts!!!!!! really rough though.. but it starts!!!! the exhaust side of the engine is smoking for some reason and one of the injectors is leaking.. BUT IT STARTSSSSSS hahaha..
Old 04-12-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder

prone to mass leakage

just stick your hand back behind the rear of the valve cover, between the firewall; you'll known very quickly if that's where the oil is coming from. it seeps out, and runs down the engine and trans and everything... makes a hell of a mess... BUT, it's an easy fix

agree with Fink about the tune up; if it's been sitting a while, I'd bet the contacts in the cap and rotor are all corroded up, an the gas may not be all that good either, so run that mess out, or drain it if you can

I must say superbleeder that is one of the prettiest engines i have ever seen. And dads truck welcome to yota tech hope you get the bugs worked out

Quick Reply: Newb, Need Help with Dads Truck