Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New to Vancouver, WA - Can anyone recommend any Junk yards and mechanics?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Vancouver, WA - Can anyone recommend any Junk yards and mechanics?

Anyone know of a 'pick a part' bone yard?

Also I need a cheap mechanic for an engine rebuild or swap.

If you could tell me of a cheap shop, or better yet if anyone here wants to make some $$ let me know how much you want.

My engine leaks oil, and is under powered. I also have a stripped bolt hole on the head near the firewall, where the exhaust manifold bolts on. I tried re-tapping it myself and made it much worse. So the ehad may or may not be usable.

Im thinking a rebuild or swap would be the best bet. I tried calling a few mechanics and got INSANE price quotes for a rebuild. Anyone here want to handle this for me, and I will pay you for your time & effort? Let me know how much you would want to do it.

I wanted to do this myself, but I just don't have the time and I don't feel confident in doing this by myself. I have a second vehicle so theres no major rush, but I do need to pass the emissions test here within the next 45 days, so I can re-register it here.

Truck is perfectly fine to drive at the moment, and I can drop it off at your place, or if need be, you can do it at my place. I have a garage, a shed, and rv parking at my pad.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dont think you need to pass any emissions... I'm north of you still in washington and theres no emission testing here. I dont know any pick-a-parts near you but theres one up here by Tumwater
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ei...num=1&ct=image
Old 02-24-2009, 03:11 PM

i think i can help ya out here.

Junk Yards-
Dollars corner-Battle Ground
colombia blvd- portland-(entire street of wrecking yards)
Theres an LKQ up in padden parkway area too.
oh and a guy in longview Toyota Rob (he has a myspace page of used parts)
Mechanics- Performance theres johns foreign engines in Lacenter
engnbldr.com (based in portland)

regular shops i have used ki's japanese engine on main st vancouver and clark county transmission on hwy 99.

portland also has a very active cragslist community portland.cragslist.org you can find tons of stuff for cheap including fully built rigs

hope that gets you started and welcome to the area
Old 02-24-2009, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you head down to portland you can find a few places. Foster Auto Parts is the most popular there are a few different locations, just look in the phonebook.
Theres also a place called dollars corner auto wrecking out toward Battle Ground, I've never been there but I've heard they have yota's there.

Instead of rebuilding your engine you might want to look into http://oregonengines.net/, they're down in sandy (not too far) and they do good work. I bought an engine from them a couple years ago and have had no issues. There's a few other people on here that have gone with them all with positive things to say.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i'm drawing a blank on the name but there is an autopart store in portland thats open 24 hrs... i'll try to remember the name
Old 02-24-2009, 03:16 PM

oh and as for rebuild kits engnbldr.com has great stuff (so ive heard from just about everyone here) and for a new engine you can get a performance one from johns foriegn engines for about 2 grand a used for for about a grand and a remanufactured for 1400ish (dont know if he installs)

and you do have to pass emmisions in Clark County every 2 years unless your vehicle is 25 years or older

edit:johns website- 22re.com

Last edited by parkkicks; 02-24-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
its called Thrifty Auto Parts!
Old 02-24-2009, 03:54 PM

Awesome guys, thanks!

i'll prob be visiting all of them, lmfao.

I just had a complete and total 'WTF' moment. I went to the emissions testing place, expecting to fail, so that after spending money on rebuilding n such... I could get a waiver if it still fails...

I PASSED!!!! my jaw dropped to the floor. It has a nasty exhaust leak at the block (stripped bolt on exhaust manifold/head), a hallow catalytic converter (i was planning to buy a new one tongiht), and no egr valve.

and duct tape on my air tube (that goes over the radiator)

Last edited by mnmontana; 02-24-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:00 PM

nice what one did u go to
Old 02-24-2009, 04:01 PM

The one at

14110 NW 3rd Ct in vancouver , wa
Old 02-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
there are 5 U pull it's around Portland. Kind of Hit and miss but I have scored some pretty good deals...walked out with front and rear driveshafts during a 50% off sale for $30

Good deal about it passing emmissions...I took my '81 through ORegon DEQ today...passed with better results than 2 years ago