Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

NEW truck help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEW truck help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i got this new 4x4 1989 toyota 22re pickup manual, its running bad so i had it diagnosed at the shop, they said 02 sensor, tps sensor and its misfiring, it runs bad under load, the needle slightly fluctuates, it takes a bit to get up to speed and it it running a bit rough, it idles fine though..... i found that the ECU IGN fuse is missing is that bad? please help me guys
Old 09-13-2013, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whoa, slow down there dude.

Mind you, shops will overload you with information and issues that aren't hard to fix, just to make you think you need them and to charge you more (sorry if there's any honest mechanics reading this).

O2 sensor is easy, buy a new DENSO sensor off rockauto.com or Autozone (sometimes they are packaged as Duralast, roughly $70-$90), crawl under your truck and right before the catalytic converter, disconnect the old one and plug in the new one. Note that the wire is attached to the frame, I had to break the old one off to get the new one in.

TPS is cheap enough but takes patience. A shop proabably won't get it right, they'll just get it running. Try adjusting it per the instructions here: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...34throttle.pdf. You'll need a multimeter ($10) and a feeler gauge ($4). If it will not adjust to spec, meaning the readings won't line up right, replace. Once again, only buy DENSO, off-brands break. $60-$70. You'll still have to adjust the new one too so don't think that's an easy way out.

Misfire could be anything really, usually just old spark plugs, plug wires, or bad cap and rotor. If you haven't ever changed these, might as well. Use NGK V-Power copper plugs, best bang for your buck. Also, put your spark gap a little past 0.32"... it'll help a tiny bit with power. If you're at 200k+ miles, a valve adjustment is probably in order. But that's not easy. If you still have issues, run a couple of injector cleaners through your gas tank. And more issues still, get a compression check done.

Finally, replace that fuse. Not sure what you mean by ECU IGN fuse, but if you mean the IGN fuse on the fuse box behind the driver's side kick panel then you kind of need that... best to put one in. Didn't know you could run the vehicle without it. Be forewarned though, you might have an issue if you put one back in. Maybe the previous owner took it out to hide an existing problem.

What "needle" are you talking about? If you mean the speedometer then don't even worry about it. All these old trucks do it, it's just a warped/frayed speedo cable. I thought about fixing mine but it's not worth the effort.

Last edited by Gamefreakgc; 09-13-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:57 AM

Ok we'll I found no thermostat in it lol. I put a new radiator and thermo in and also new cap and rotor, haven't started it yet tho
Old 12-13-2013, 09:55 PM

Try cleaning TB and Intake Manifold
Old 12-14-2013, 12:23 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It seems the clueless always get taken advantage of.

I would think first a Major tune first then go from there

Old and cracked vacuum hoses or maybe on wrong??

What was wrong with your radiator ?? Did you put all new hoses on as well??

Is your check engine light on??

It seems people just don`t do the simple maintenance then you need to spend big $$$ to get it up to speed .

Where these things could be done over time as needed