Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New TPS and o2 sensor now it runs bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New TPS and o2 sensor now it runs bad

well, like it says... it runs like a tuuurd now! wont idle, back fires when trying to bring the revs up, stumbles badly once the revs start to come up... ect... all the bad crap an engine can do.

im FAIRLY sure its the o2 sensor.. i had the battery disconnected over night so i know the codes cleared. and the o2 sensor was within specs... took some fighting but i got it there... thing was fairly touchy. not terrible though.

the new o2 sensor was once of those splice in deals and what it said the wires should have been on my 4runner, actually weren't. the o2 i removed had 2 black, one white and one blue... which matched a geo on the sheet the new 02 came with.. so thats how i wired it up. the new sensor has a white, a gray and 2 blacks. two blacks being heat, white ground, and gray sender.

the reason i think 02 is, that it seemed to run fine when i first started it... for about 1-3 minutes... then started falling off and just got worse and worse.

anyone have anything??
Old 04-04-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
First thing you can do, since it SHOULD run w/out it(just using more gas) is disconnect the 02 Sensor and take it for a drive. This will throw it back into Open Loop(initial start up, cold). Let it fully warm up and then disconnect it while it's running terrible.

However, you said you have a "NEW TPS", .... and since I remember your saying that "You are really familiar with 4cralwer's site", I don't want to be insulting, but just for S&G's, ... you SURE you've got it adjusted properly and not installed with the TPS arm on the wrong side of the throttle TPS arm?(still not sure if that's possible, and I REALLY doubt that you did that if it is...but just might as well rule everything out we can, right?)

The TPS can also be unplugged and test driven around. So I would first, just for the heck of it, suggest that you try unplugging each of them, one at a time(TPS first, just to rule out if it's adjusted improperly). The two sensors work closely with each other, ......so I'm not sure on something, first, could you clear it up? ..........>>>>>>>>

1. What brand 02 sensor is it?
2. You're saying it's heated, right? So, ...is it possible that a couple wires got crossed? (you're testing nice and hot at those two heating wires, etc?)

Sorry man, just need a lil clarity.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:55 PM

i forget what brand the o2 is... its from advanced... according to this site:http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/O2SensorWireColors.html

i have it wired correctly. i did disconnect the o2 right away... same problem... ill try the o2... i mean, i triple checked the o2... but it is quite possible that is could have budged off. GRRR!!!

i pulled the o2 sensor plug, and the TPS plug individually and at the same time. pulling the TPS made it a little better bust still not good. and no real improvement.

FML!!!

ill pull the TB tomorrow and try again... grrr!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you could try putting the old o2 sensor back and see if it runs better then try the tps if that dont work.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by justin_4runner
you could try putting the old o2 sensor back and see if it runs better then try the tps if that dont work.
yeah, im considering that. i intentionally left enough wore on the old o2 before i cut it in case i needed to wire it back in. there wasnt a gasket on the old o2 sensor so it was clearly leaking exhaust around the sensor which im not sure would cause it to rear poorly. i wouldnt think so.

boo! man.... because i ordered my o2 off the internet and opened the package, its not returnable. it was 60 bucks... so, im out 60 bucks. how much is the dealer 02 sensor? i need to go to the dealer and get a oil filter too... i think the generic filter on my truck (from the PO) is hurting my hot oil pressure. when the truck is hot the oil pressure gauge reads below the bottom line. now weird noises or anything... gonna put some better heavy oil in too. i think he used about a 30 weight.

Last edited by acousticrawk; 04-04-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:38 PM

I got my Denso O2 sensor here : http://www.densoproducts.com/product...ctCategoryID=2
Old 04-04-2011, 05:40 PM

awesome thanks!

going to pull the o2 and put the old on back in... grr... gas mileage will suffer but itll run better hopefully... and readjust the TPS... any tips? i read through the 4crawler site while doing it... maybe i overlooked something? any tips??

thanks!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what type of o2 sensor did u get? i was reading somewhere that our trucks dont like bosh (sp) o2 sensors. and if i remember correct that would be a universal u bought? if so that is part of your problem.

also when u put on a new tps did u set it using a volt meter? .1 to 1.0 when closed and 4 to 5 wide open.

Last edited by justin_4runner; 04-04-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:25 PM

Main thing in the TPS that most people over look is usually "First, set the throttle stop screw before adjusting the TPS"..... It happened to me, lol. After I adjusted the throttle stop screw per FSM and 4crawler, the readings were MUCH different. (I think it's go all the way to closed, stop screw just barely touching the stop plate, then go 1/4 turn further in, lock nut and then adjust TPS...of course, after making sure that the throttle plate inside is VERY SLIGHTLY opened when the throttle is fully closed....Just seeing light through it,....basically like the moon tonight, ....TEENY fingernail, lol...)

Should be able to get an 02 gasket for the oem 02 at the Pep Boys, etc.

Sorry you're having so much trouble, man! You'll get it, sure nuff!
Old 04-05-2011, 11:15 AM

got it today! pulled the throttle body and adjusted again. i ended up turning the throttle stop screw about .5 turn passed touching and got good readings on all except the first reading where its 570-whatever... im at about 490... doesnt seem to be causing any problems though and no check engine lights. o2 sensor is fine too. still a little tricky to start in the cold, but better. (its pretty chilly today) but im guessing its a cold start time switch/injector problem. im not real worried about it. still feels a little under powered but at least i dont have a crazy power band feeling and a completely gutless engine up until 3k. im HIGHLY considering a carb set up when i build a new engine (solely for dual fuel, propane). that and to eliminate all these old, hard, dry wires and bad sensors.

thanks for the help guys!!
Old 04-05-2011, 11:41 AM

Knew it! lol... Those TPS are VERYYYYYYY TOUCHY, bud!

Anyway, not that you're wanting to hear this, but you should probably adjust it again when you have time, (Not urgent at all)... But you said you went .5(180 degrees) turn on the stop screw past just touching..... Far as I remember, the recommendations on 4crawler site are .25(quarter) turn past just touching. This could VERY WELL be why your first reading is a lil off, and could also explain your remaining a lil underpowered. Seriously, Acoustic, if you read back on that page, it says I believe from the start, "If you get the FIRST SETTING RIGHT, most all of the rest should be fine", ..and I believe it's the most important setting ,btw. So, don't be surprised if you remain a lil underpowered at certain conditions or use more gas, etc., until you set it how it says to the T. A 1/4 more than recommended is probably at LEAST a couple thousandths difference in feeler gauge depth while checking. In other words, ..you're giving yourself more space than what 'spec checking' should be started from, ...and that changes EVERYTHING, regarding how the TPS, well, "Works the 'Throttle Position' " .... right?

As I said, you don't have to worry about it now, ...but you don't wanna be really rich or something and go through a CAT quick, or overwhelm your brand new 02 sensor, right? haha. So what you could do in the future some day is just turn it back to quarter turn from touching and re-check your readings.... I bet they're a bit off if you do.

Disclaimer; I AM SO SORRY if I've misremembered 4crawlers instructions page. But it seems REALLY stuck in my head, the "1/4 turn from touching" thingymadoer! lol. I'm sure than can change a LIL bit depending on how much carbon build up you have, etc. Just sayin... read it one more time and LET ME KNOW IF I'M A DORK, k? I don't take lil slaps in the mug harshly at all, ...I can take it! hahaha.

GREAT to hear you're having far less issues, Acoustic.... Glad to help!
Old 04-05-2011, 04:41 PM

its 10x's better than it was either way. it not a turd either. just feels like it could have a little more power in it. once it warms up and i have a little extra scratch to spend, ill get a toyota TPS and get it ajdusted right. .5 of a turn bay by a little high on the guess too. its probably right about .35-.40 of a turn. just enough to see the faintest amount of light around the valve. i also think my throttle are was bent at some point because it looks a little tweeked and has some plier marks on it where it looks like someone tried to bend it back? might have something to do with it. either way, it smooth through the RPM's and idle drops quicker and come to a dead stop at about 800 rpms (where i have the idle set according to stock tach) where as before it would drop below and pop back up or ir would just never go below 1400-1600 without dragging the clutch. i think my power issues may be from dirty injectors too. this truck has had a pretty hard life and ive been slowly nursing it back to health. as others have noted on my build thread, it has a 22r sticker on the block, not a 22re... so who knows what this trucks had done to it or anything.

at any rate, thanks for the help... next step is fixing and or bypassing the cold start switch/injector. with warm weather on the horizon, im not super concearned about it. but itll have to be fixed in time. after i get a toyota oil filter, and some 10-40 (or what about rotella 15-40??? i can get a good deal on it) and some lucas oil stabilizer, ill start planning my trip west! 2500 miles on a truck with almost 220k on it! think it can be done?! we will soon see! only part im concerned about is the rockies! loaded down with my gear coming up over the mountains might take some finesse.