86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New to Toyota Trucks, have an opportunity to buy, appreciate input

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New to Toyota Trucks, have an opportunity to buy, appreciate input

Hello there, I recently decided that I needed a truck again. Not something new, something reliable, that gets decent gas mileage, has 4x4 and an extended cab. Toyota's are really all I can find that fit this bill, so here I am.

I found a truck on craigslist in Minnesota that is the following: 1986, 22re, 5 speed, 4x4 w/ manual lockouts, extra cab. He was asking $2,800 on the ad, over the phone he said he'd take $2,500, in person he said he would entertain offers... I bet I could get it for $2,250.

So, I went and looked at this truck today and mechanically it has been gone through. Allegedly it had a frame-off restoration years ago and was a California truck (I have no way to verify this at this time unless a Carfax yields this information) and they did a lot of suspension work and the engine was, allegedly, rebuilt 50-60k miles ago. Took it for a drive and was surprised with how nicely it drove, did 70 mph on the highway with no problems, front left tire shows signs of mis-alignment, but so what. I also did notice that the brake fluid was a bit low and that one of the rear brakes is loosing fluid (despite all "new" brake components in the last couple years).

The body is in OK shape. The only thing that is rusted through is on top of the wheel well of one of the front fenders, but there are lots of spots where rust is bubbling and starting... which makes me nervous because of all the salt they put on the roads in MN. Interior is habitable... the truck could still use plenty of TLC.

SO, my question is whether a seemingly mechanically sound vehicle like this is worth what he is asking (~$2500). I know, it depends on what I'm willing to pay and I know my friends and family will think I'm nuts buying a 26 year old truck that is rusting and doesn't look all that pretty. BUT I love how simple this truck is! I could just keep it as a driver and would probably do so, but there is also the opportunity for restoration should I choose to spend my time that way (which I probably will not for a few years yet).

I know I am asking a bias source, and it isn't much to go on, but your input is appreciated (especially since I'm new to these trucks)! Is this thing going to fall apart in the next few years if I don't restore it?

Cheers!
-Nick
Attached Thumbnails New to Toyota Trucks, have an opportunity to buy, appreciate input-5e55k95h93gb3m63pcc6rf010410af3b81f33.jpg   New to Toyota Trucks, have an opportunity to buy, appreciate input-5g55v35h73ke3ma3nac6r95795ebd56fd1572.jpg  
Old 08-05-2012, 06:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Body rust can be fixed, the big question is how does the frame look ?. If its in good shape with no rust then its wort buying. It does have a few problems though with the body rust and leaking brake issue. I wouldn`t pay more than $2000. dollars for it.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The body rust doesn't look too bad, I've seen way worse. The bed looks to be in pretty good condition actually, along with the cab.

Like myyota said, check the frame for rust & rot, especially around the rear leaf spring hangers since that is the most common place to rot first. Take a hammer to it and slowly tap on the frame & look for weak spots. Also, check above. The frame cross-member that supports the fuel tank seems to also be a trouble area. I've seen a few with a rusted out member. If everything checks out fine, I seriously doubt it'll "fall apart in the next few years." Old Toyotas are built like a rock! Besides maintenance & consumable parts my 87 has never left me stranded nor given me any trouble.

The price? That actually varies with the region but I agree with myyota; $2000 sounds about right.

Last edited by streetlancer; 08-05-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:44 PM

Like yota said check that frame really well. Take a hammer and a screwdriver and smack the screwdriver all over the frame especially near the gas tank and rear shackle hangers. I bought a truck from the midwest once and I'll never do it again myself... The truck itself looked pretty good but underneath it was an absolute disaster. With no proof of the motor work done (when I bought my truck it came with receipts and work orders proving the engine had been replaced, why wouldn't you keep that paperwork around?) I would go straight blue book with him and start there. Fact is, that's not a $2800 dollar truck. I would also suggest you take it to a highly trusted mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. It might cost you $50 but at least you'll know what you're getting into...

Last edited by Luvmeye22re; 08-05-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Check out some of the pics in my frame rebuild thread My frame was in pretty rough shape, un beknownst to me. I hadn't noticed any damage until it came apart on me after powerwashing post salt season.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:23 AM

Thanks for your input, all! I'll bring a hammer, screwdriver, safety glasses, and cash next time I go look at it.

Another question: has anyone had any experience or luck coating the frame/underbody with Rhino-Liner or some equivalent (maybe something petroleum-based) to prevent rust? There is no question that I live in the worst possible area for rust (again, salt on the roads in winter) so it would start to come apart sooner or later unless something is done to prevent frame rust rot.

Ideas/experiences/suggestions??

I'm really liking the idea of this truck EXCEPT the fact that it is clearly going to be a[nother] project... any links/pointers to how to take the bed/cab off?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you didn't mention the mileage or the options it has.

if the rest of the truck, engine frame and interior, looks as good as the the outside i would be all over this for 2 or 22.

the bed will rust at the body lines and at the back of the bed underneath.
the motor should hold oil pressure at idle after it is warmed up and driven.
on cold start listen for rod knock rattles and or timing chain rattle.

if the motor was in fact rebuilt 50 or 60k mi ago the timing chain is almost due to be replaced.

if it is as solid as it looks it will make you a good truck. you'll love it. i do mine lol.
por paint for repair/prevention.

Last edited by donomite49; 08-06-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:11 AM

Buying my 86 Toyota Xtracab pickup was the best move I ever made. I love it! It's addicting! Fun hobby to restore it.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by NickB47
SO, my question is whether a seemingly mechanically sound vehicle like this is worth what he is asking (~$2500). I know, it depends on what I'm willing to pay and I know my friends and family will think I'm nuts buying a 26 year old truck that is rusting and doesn't look all that pretty. BUT I love how simple this truck is! I could just keep it as a driver and would probably do so, but there is also the opportunity for restoration should I choose to spend my time that way (which I probably will not for a few years yet).
This is why I bought my '92, and have a '94 Miata R. Simple, simple, simple. Manual doors, manual trans, no power steering, no cruise, the only option on both vehicles is a/c. After dealing with some of the '00+ over-optioned always-breaking vehicles (of all makes and models), they are a throw-back to simpler times. And I really miss the J-stick on the '86 4x4 Turbo I sold many years ago (another all-manual vehicle).

My only advice is, if you're really into the brand... buy the best you can going in, even if that means finding a trusted seller/rep in AZ/TX/CA/etc, and driving it home... then ripping the cab/bed off, to propertly seal.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:28 AM

Well, I have determined that an older Toyota ExtraCab 4x4 22r(e) is what my future truck will be. However, I think I am going to pass on this one. As much as I love projects I also know my tendency to take on too many projects at once, so I am going to go with 'sbagdon's advice and keep looking for something in better shape (maybe something down south a ways) then seal up the frame prior to salt season. It may take another year to save a few more thousand dollars, but I'll spend that AND time getting this one to where I want it.

Thanks a TON for your input and I will continue to read & post in these forums to familiarize myself with these amazing little trucks. If anyone knows of one in good shape up for sale, please keep me in mind.

CHEERS &
-Nick