Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Thermostat Bad or Radiator Blockage

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
How much do they stick out?
I checked mine and they did not stick out beyond the head. This may be a difference in manufactures.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:22 PM

im having the same issues new thermostat from toyota rad is fairly new and has a new rad cap anyone ahve anyo other thoughts what position should the needle valve be installed at
Old 04-27-2014, 09:51 AM

Hello everyone. I am having similar problems. I have searched and I have found some great information that has helped me with other problems that I have had. I guess I need specifics for me to be clear about things. Several of the posts that I have found are for different engines. Ok, here is some info to help you guys know what I have. I have a 1986 4x4 DLX with the 22R, 5 speed. I got it pretty cheap because he couldn't get it running. This was a farm truck and had been sitting for years. About a year n a half ago he couldn't get it to start so he cut the vac lines and put on a Weber. He said it ran good then. It had sat from then till and he couldn't get it started again so I bought it. I trailered it home and got some good gas in it (some was still in the tank though), replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs (they were very black, fouled), changed the oil n filter and it fired right up. It runs pretty good. timing is @ 0*. Now here is my real problem now. The PO had only water in the cooling system. So I drained and flushed water through the rad and block, it was clear. I did see what looked like calcium deposits (they were very hard too) just inside the openings where the hoses connect. I thought it may be from the PO having only water in the system, but then thought that maybe he had put "stop leak"it it. I checked the flow through the rad after I pulled it and it seemed to flow through it ok. I plugged one opening and put CLR in the rad for a good while, sloshing it around periodically. Then I flushed it out for a good while and also made a solution of baking soda and water to neutralize any acid that may be left in there. I replaced the tstat (which was does the spring face???) My factory manual does do not say exactly. The Haynes manual shows the V6. Which way does the coolant flow?? I have been told it flows IN to the block from the top, but that didn't seem right. Ok, so another problem is the coolant temp gauge doesn't work. I found a thread about the wires breaking so I'm gonna check that, but before I found that thread I thought it may just be the sensor itself so I replaced that. I do not see the coolant flow in the rad. The top hose gets very hot, don't see flow and the bottom hose barely warm. I thought it may be the water pump so I pulled it and found that it was still in good shape. It is the Toyota one. It wasn't pitted, bearings were good, ect. so I put it back in instead of replacing it with a cheap one. I filled the block first to the top of the opening, then put the tstat in (jiggler towards the hose) and filled it to the edge of the rad cap opening. I started doing all of this because the truck will get very hot quickly sitting in the driveway and since the gauge doesn't work I don't know where the temp is. I wondered if the block may have a blockage or blockages internally somewhere if the PO had put stop leak in it. The heater hoses get hot too with the temp selector set to high and defrost. The rad doesn't look to bad and the CLR really didn't do much for the openings looking down into the rad cap opening. I am stumped as to why the truck gets so hot so quickly, no flow in rad, water pump checked good, no temp gauge, top hose very hot, bottom hose barely warm, which way does coolant flow, which way does the tstat spring go? I need help! I though I may take the rad to a rad shop and have it cleaned and pressure checked instead of buying another rad. At least the one I have is the Toyota one. Also, I see what looks like RTV around the oil pan gasket and some other places so I wonder what the PO did to this truck. Oh I also got a piece of blue, sticky RTV floating in the rad earlier when I refilled it. Can anyone tell me how to tell me what ton my truck is? It has A/C, tilt, cruise, bench seat with folding armrest, but no carpet. The rear leaf springs have a part number printed on them. It loos like this... It has 2 "plus signs" and a funny looking design in front of the numbers 35460. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2014, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would be best if you start your own thread.

Any chance you can use paragraphs?
Old 04-27-2014, 10:12 AM

Oh yeah. Sorry about that. I tried to start my own thread, but although I've checking out the forums, it said that I don't have enough posts to start my own thread yet.