86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new shocks and oil WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 07:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
new shocks and oil WTF?

I did an oil and filter change today and I've got to tell you that the oil that came out looked like rusty milk...... yuck. After the change the motor is so quiet that I can't even hear it at idle. All the valve noise is gone and that little "tick" I had before has left the building.

I also put some new shocks on it and OMG!!! The OEM's that came out were so shot that I compressed one by hand and it never extended. Needless to say but the ride is outstanding now.

I can't understand how a vehicle will go 170+++ miles with the same shocks....... what happened to taking care of your rig?

Last edited by Junkers88; 07-20-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
rusty milk? you're wondering about 170+++ miles on shocks and you have "rusty milk" oil?
Old 07-20-2008, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dude how long has it been since you changed your oil? and a side note... when i replaced my shocks, they had 250,000 miles on them.... lol. they actually still held pressure.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Not all shocks will extend by themselves.. Just so you know.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay351
Not all shocks will extend by themselves.. Just so you know.
you're worried about the shocks when the oil change came out 'rusty milk' looking?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How often are you changing your oil?
Old 07-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
you're worried about the shocks when the oil change came out 'rusty milk' looking?
Never heard of rusty milk lookin oil. Im not touchin that one with a 10ft pole. All the same I have no idea what would be wrong....
Old 07-21-2008, 04:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds like you're due for a new headgasket! good luck!
Old 07-21-2008, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
sounds like you're due for a new headgasket! good luck!
Yep. Unless you got really lucky and someone poured some water into your oil, you've got a headgasket that has failed - when water/coolant mixes with oil, it emulsifies and comes out looking milky, or like peanut butter. It's one of the most noticeable signs of a failed headgasket.

That's also the reason it ran quieter once you changed it - water and oil mixed don't lubricate too well. I wouldn't drive that thing any more, you might not have any engine damage yet.

When is the last time you CHECKED the oil?

Last edited by Crawdad; 07-21-2008 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:04 AM

Let me clarify that a little. The oil was the consistency of rusty milk. There isn't any water in there. The oil was changed just over 3000 miles ago although I have no idea how long it had been changed before that. I check the oil at every other tank of gas along with the rest of my fluids. I'm hoping that the appearance of the oil that came out indicates that the motor was a little dirty inside and has been cleaned. That and I don't know what kind of oil the mechanics (use that term with caution) used when they changed it for me.

I'll keep ya'll updated.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is what the oil looks like with a bad HG
Old 07-21-2008, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you just changed it you may want to drain it after a week and see what it looks like. You can put it back in (if you catch it in a clean holder) your engine if it looks ok.

New or used, clean or dity, oil should have the same consistancy/viscosity unless it is contaminated. Viscosity changes with temperature, which is why we have multi-weight oils (5W-30, acts like 5 weight when cold, 30 weight when hot).
Old 07-21-2008, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
This is what the oil looks like with a bad HG
Mine looked NOTHING like that. I'm guessing the word "milk" in the first post is what confused us all. I just think that the oil was too "thick" looking. I probably should have said "the oil that came out looked like dirty gear oil" instead of "rusty milk".
Old 07-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
...and a side note... when i replaced my shocks, they had 250,000 miles on them.... lol. they actually still held pressure.
Haha, mine have over 286k on them right now, and they're finally showing signs of going out, but I'm waiting to replace them till I do my lift...

Oh yeah, and to add to that, that oil cap looks yummy... Once you see that, that's when it's time to just drive the vehicle into the ground... The motor's toast, might as well make the best of it, lol. I had an 88 Cherokee that got the same signs on the oil cap, and during an oil change... I put the cheapest oil back in it, drained the rad, filled her back up with water, then took it out to the woods, got was much air as a BMXer during the X Games, then did so many doughnuts I got nauseous from being dizzy, and she survived! That is till I dunked it under water up to the middle of the windows... Even then I just popped out the plugs, let it sit for about 45 minutes, shot all the water out, and it fired back up!!! I just had a little more fun, then bounced it off the rev limiter for about 5 minutes and it finally threw a rod, lmao... Ah, good times...

But N E ways, enough of my stories, does your antifreese still look good too; level and consistancy? If so, I'd say you in the clear.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Mine looked NOTHING like that. I'm guessing the word "milk" in the first post is what confused us all. I just think that the oil was too "thick" looking. I probably should have said "the oil that came out looked like dirty gear oil" instead of "rusty milk".
forget the truck, what kind of milk are you drinking that has the consistency of gear oil ?
Old 07-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

seriously...
Old 07-21-2008, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Martinez1982
forget the truck, what kind of milk are you drinking that has the consistency of gear oil ?
haha. it must be that soy crap.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:35 PM

I replaced the coolant in a camery that looked like a dark blood color to almost black it stunk like burnt marshmallows car had 90K on it and I would bet it had never been changed or flushed.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:35 AM

The coolant level is fine and the fluid is a nice green color. The Oil level is still where it should be and is still the color of honey so I think that it was a combination of cheap oil and the fact that the motor was probably really dirty.

Oh and back when I was drinking milk it was straight off the cow, nice and thick. We had a home town delivery service and the milk man would drop off a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs every two weeks. I miss that.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Oh and back when I was drinking milk it was straight off the cow, nice and thick. We had a home town delivery service and the milk man would drop off a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs every two weeks. I miss that.
Haha, I was about to post this. Milk straight from the cow can be darn near as thick as gear oil. I can't drink the stuff, it's like drinking straight cream.

Soy milk, on the other hand, is just about as thin as water.

Quick Reply: new shocks and oil WTF?