Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New Shocks And Fogs

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Shocks And Fogs

So I just got done installing Rough Country Shocks and some yellow fog lights. The shocks are supposed to be for a 2-3 inch lift (which I don't have yet), so the ride is very... tight and unforgiving. But I like it. My favorite part is the fogs, they almost overpower my headlights, and they look awesome. Anyways, on the the pictures!

Old rear shock vs New rear shock... fully stretched out

Old front shock vs New front shock, again fully extended

Fog Lights on

Fog Lights off

All lights on

The truck

Thanks for looking!

Cameron
Old 01-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks great, good luck with your build.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

you might want to get the lift in there pronto, you risk bottoming out your shocks without it.

lee
Old 01-19-2008, 01:58 PM

Yeah I'm pretty sure that the shocks are close to bottoming out already. Hope I dont screw something up. I'll be getting BJ spacers and and add-a-leaf kit, so hopefully that will restore some travel to the shocks.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how do they ride? where did you get them? how much? give us some details!!!
Old 01-19-2008, 02:40 PM

They ride ok for having almost no travel. I got them for 35 a piece @ JCWhitney. Not too bad of a price; the booties were xtra though, like 4 bucks.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:42 AM

Update:

I got new ProComp es3000 shocks with a steering stabilizer, because the Rough Country shocks that are pictured above were WAY too big. I also installed a Rough Country add-a-leaf. What a mother that was. Anways, heres some pictures...

Rough Country vs ProComp (keep in mind that the trucks is not lifted that much)

In the process of installing the new leaf

Cutting the new center-pin bolts (they were too long)

Before, with 32s and no add-a-leaf

After, with aal and 31s... the aal lifted it about 2.75 inches
Old 01-28-2008, 11:57 AM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
I like that stance, how much was the add-a-leaf, and what was the turn around time for the job?
Old 01-28-2008, 12:02 PM

It was 45 from jcwhitney. All said and done it took about 10 hours from start to finish. If you've never dealt with truck suspensions before, i would suggest having someone there who knows whats happening. Also, make sure you have the proper tools! I still have to install BJ spacers, so it should look almost level after that.

Edit: I got the ProComps from 4wheelparts, and they were awesome to deal with, contrary to what others say.

Last edited by Lifted&Lowered; 01-28-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice. just put new leafs on my truck, and it doesn't sit quite level YET. aal it is. I like the rear end up look, haha
Old 01-28-2008, 12:39 PM

I'm assuming that the new leafs will settle? Maybe a 1/4 inch?
Old 01-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats about what they settled, and the truck still has a slightly saggy rear end. in a crunch, I had to buy leaf springs from JC Whitney, instead of the OME ones I wanted... sucks when you need something on the spot.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:59 PM

So you're saying that you truck still sags even with an add-a-leaf?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Great to see you got the add-a-leafs in.

oh a few tips for you.

Junk the boots on the shocks, im warning you. They cause NOTHING but rust! I had mine on for a few months, already got a nice rim of rust started. They belong in the trash

Also if you notice that your butt end is still a little too low, remove the spare tire. I gained another 1" of rear lift when I junked mine. Since you have add-a-leafs they will still be trying to "lift" the suspension more.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:01 PM

I really appreciate all the tips that you told me Jay. I definitely was in over my head when I attempted this, but alas I completed it. As far as the shock boots, I did NOT put those on the procomps. Im going to return the rough country shocks to jcwhitney but some of the boots are torn, but i might just send them back anyways to see if i can get a refund. But yeah, thanks for all your help!

Cameron
Old 01-28-2008, 07:01 PM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
dude i love the color of your truck with the dark gray and black door handles and roll bar, I am not a fan of silver wheels so I think your set up and color with my black AR 767's would look super sweet. I am not big on suspension but I can do anything if I try. What color is that paint, and what was the cost? I want to do practically the same thing.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I was looking at your leaf springs, the little plates you were talking about... Mine is quite different then yours!
Old 01-28-2008, 07:06 PM

I dont know the color of the paint, but ill do some research. The repaint was about 250 at a local place in Atlanta. They do a decent job for the price. If you ever do an aal kit, shoot me a message if you have questions!

Edit: So i think the paint color is Dark Grey Metalic, code 179.

Last edited by Lifted&Lowered; 01-28-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:18 PM

You got bit by the Rough Country/JCWhitney thing. Read up here....https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...estion-135458/

You need to remove those shocks ASAP before you ruin them or get a 4" bracket lift. You are hitting them on every bump that's why the ride is stiff. They are massively limiting travel.

There is no 3" lift for our trucks. That is the shock for a 4-5" bracket style lift which increases the compressed length by 4". Rough Country lists it as a 2-3" AND the 4-5" lift because they don't know what they are talking about. I tried to explain this to them but in the end I got a shock P/N from them that will work with ball joint spacers and is listed on our site.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is nothing but a bracket style lift that will make those shocks work on your truck. You need to return them right away because even if you got the bracket lift it will come with shocks anyway.

Frank
Old 01-28-2008, 09:27 PM

Guys, when buying stuff for your truck there is something you have to consider. Some places know your truck and some don't. JCWhitney, Summit, etc.. carry some cool stuff but they have no idea what is going to work with what on our trucks.

I would suggest, unless you are sure you know what you are getting, you consider looking at the specialty vendors. For example, if the OP had called say TRDparts4u.com or Toyteclifts.com he'd have gotten a good set of shocks that fit. They certainly aren't the only ones but you get the idea.

Frank

Quick Reply: New Shocks And Fogs