Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New Rig - '93 4Runner 4x4, plus some questions!

Old 04-05-2010, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New Rig - '93 4Runner 4x4, plus some questions!

Just got a new ride, this will be the second vehicle I've owned, and I'm proud to say, the second toyota :-) The first was a nice little '93 2wd pickup, but had to sell it back in SC before I moved to Colorado.

Anyways, its a pretty sweet little (ha!) rig! 1993 4Runner, 5-speed, 4x4, loaded power options, 191K on the original V6 3VZ-E. I've heard all about the head gasket problems, but the engine drives great, its quite, powerful, and strong. Transmission is in great shape, and the body is pretty good compared to a lot I've seen! NO RUST either!

Did a diesel engine flush for about 10 mins. Then changed the oil, running Amsoil synthetic now. Greased all the drivetrain components and the steering components (stupid IFS, SAS on my list!). Also ripped out the back carpet, the previous owner had spilled oil on it, so i tore it out, and I'm putting down Herculiner in the back. I've got one coat on, it looks pretty darn sweet.

A few quick questions, hopefully some of you guys might be able to help me out!
  1. The idle seems a bit high. From a cold start, its anywhere from 1600 - 1900 RPM. I don't think that's normal even for the V6. After driving for a bit, it settles around 1000 - 1200 RPM. Its not rough, just a little high.
  2. The check engine light came on, threw codes 12 and 21 for RPM and O2 sensor, respectively. I'm looking into replacing the O2 sensor, any idea for how to get that rusted nightmare off?
  3. This afternoon, came back from the auto shop, and the rear power window wouldn't go down. This one is puzzling me. I put it up fine when I left, I come back, and it doesn't go down. I checked the fuses, no cigar. The window motor seems to try to run when you make it go up, either from the console control, or by using the key on the tailgate. Also, the console window lock button seems funny, it doesn't have 2 positions, it just pushes down, then rebounds back when you take your finger off it. Maybe its broke and stuck in lock mode somehow?
I've got big plans for this rig! Colorado mountain rig for one, just something to take fishing, backpacking, hunting. My neighbor is a crazy Yota guy, he loves as much lift as possible, so I'm probably going to get him to help me with some suspension stuff. Looking at tire upgrades, SAS down the road, lockers maybe. Possibilities are endless!

Pics!

Check out the FACTORY 3-CD changer! Its corny, but I feel lucky. I'll prob swap it out down the road though.

That's my neighbors red '93 4Runner in the background, running 39" Super Swampers. SAS, 5.29 gears. I'll get some pics, I know you want some :-)
Old 04-05-2010, 05:29 PM

Nice Truck.. Seems clean.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:53 PM

I just bought a really clean 93 4runner extremely clean 4x4 120k original miles, everything as good of shape as it could be.

Well less than 1 year later I had to rebuild the heads, 4 burnt valves.

I would check your timing and make sure it is set right, this could have somthing to do with your high idle.

I would also reccommend spraying the underside of your car with some type of rust protectant, sorry can't refer you to any. These 4runners will rust pretty bad and quickly.

If ended up rebuilding my top end for around $700 with all Toyota parts, replacing bolts, all belts pump, etc. Still have to go to Toyota to help me time it tom. cant seem to get it just right. Another $100, but should last me awhile now. Doing it all myself I hope you can wrench and if not get ready.

My brothers and I both have problems with our windows sometimes. My bros turn there key in the back door holding it back and forth holding it in each position for a couple of seconds and this will open there windown. It seems like alot of the electronis are weak in the car. My dash lights are now out randomly and it seem to be the switch.

Good luck with your 4runner with all my bad luck I still love it, I have never got it stuck yet and I have tested the out of it. I bought it for going fishing.

-Nick
Old 04-05-2010, 07:47 PM

Screw that black one, get more pics of the red one

J/k mak, wish mine was that clean. My interior is immaculate, however the florida sun has DEFINITELY takes its toll on my paint... If I take a buffer to it, it will shine like new... for about a week. Then it's dull and chalky again... Don't think I care anymore. Maybe if I repaint it...

For your questions, it is VERY normal for a wicked high idle in any toyota truck. Even the new 5.7 tundras idle at about 1600rpm off a cold start, however it sounds like yours is a bit high after it warms up too. Try this, Let the truck warm up nice and good, up to normal operating temp. On the front of your throttle body there is a little flathead screw. Adjust that slowly until it drops down to about 800rpm (give or take a bit, spec gives variation of +/- 50 rpm). You should be able to get it down like this, if not, then I'd start looking for a possible vacuum leak.
Keep this in mind though, these engines idle like crap. They always have, even brand new. Don't expect a kitten purr idle, it'll never happen. Just being honest with you here.

With the o2 sensor, use lots of pb blaster. let it soak. blaster it again, let it soak. Start trying to remove sensor. If it gives you problems, sometimes a torch can help. Get it good and hot, and it'll help. However 90% of the time, generous amounts of pb blaster seem to do the trick. Personally I use "Toyota High Performance Penetrating Lubricant". I have absolutely NO idea what the HELL is in that stuff, but it MUST be wicked because I'll be damned if it don't work You can pick up a can of it at your dealer, don't know how much it costs. I get it for free. Yay me

With your window, first make sure your rear wiper is all the way up in the 'home' position. If the rear wiper isn't 'home' then the window won't work. IF it is 'home' then try to jump pins 2 and 4 at your window lock switch with a paper clip. Just unplug the switch, and you'll see a white/red stripe wire and a white/black stripe wire. Put a paperclip between the two (connecting the two together) and try it. This will bypass your window lock switch. It's not uncommon for this switch to go bad, effectively losing the ground to the switch completely. On a customer's truck I'd give them the option of replacing the switch, or bypassing it. On my personal truck, I just cut the 2 wires off the lock switch, and connected them together with a crimp cap. I haven't had 1 problem since
Old 04-05-2010, 08:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
If you decide to replace that factory stereo and want someone to take if off your hands.. let me know.

Nice clean looking 4Runner.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:04 PM

I might still have the fully functional factory stereo and 3cd changer in my garage... I just took it out cause I wanted to use my sirius (And need an alpine radio to do so). I really can't remember if i threw it away or threw it in a box... If I still have it then you can have it for whatever shipping costs.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by pb4ugotobed
I might still have the fully functional factory stereo and 3cd changer in my garage... I just took it out cause I wanted to use my sirius (And need an alpine radio to do so). I really can't remember if i threw it away or threw it in a box... If I still have it then you can have it for whatever shipping costs.
Hey that's great. I have a cheap cd player right now, but my wife likes tapes still. Would be cool to have the ability to play both. Let me know, and thanks for checking.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:12 PM

Yeah, Chumchal, the timing is due for a replacement soon. Got a buddy of mine that'll help me with that. I'm hoping for no major repairs beyond that, at least until I can save up enough for a better engine and do a swap worth investing in down the road.

Thanks for the tips, pb4! It sounds like there is a clicking sound coming from the window relay, drivers side rear panel next to the back speakers. I'm going to prob look into that later this week, radio shack would give me cheap parts to fix that if it is just the relay. I'll try your method though too.

I'll steal some pics of the red monster!

Az4, I'll let you know for sure! Not sure what I want to do with the stereo yet, but we'll see!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:13 PM

Well, just took a peek in the box I 'thought' it might have been in, and didn't see it, though I found an old clarion CD deck I forgot I had, and a pair of infinity components I never knew I had lol. Plus 2 headrest DVD systems, 2 or 3 over head drop down DVD systems, basically a full 3vz gasket kit from headgaskets to the top, an auto 4x4 transmission, an extra head, just to name a few things (My garage is lined with shelves all the way around, and lots of boxes all the way around as well). My wife is making me clean out the garage this coming weekend so If I come across it I'll let ya know. I'm gonna need to go through a lot of these boxes and see what I need to keep or toss/give away.

Edit: Won't be giving away the DVD systems... not exactly sure WHAT i'm gonna do with those yet but I'm sure I'll figure something out. Already have 4 headrest DVD's in the wife's van, was considering putting either the 7" or 10" dropdown in my 4runner, or a headrest set... I just don't care enough to really go through the effort at this point

Last edited by pb4ugotobed; 04-05-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:27 PM

pb4ugotobed: thanks for looking, let me know if you do come across it. I'd gladly pay shipping.

EagleX: sorry to hi-jack your thread, I'm done. I think you'll be happy with the 4runner. I love mine and have taken it all over the place. It will make a good reliable trail rig.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:35 PM

POR-15 for the rust. I'm about to redo mine before I head out west.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:01 PM

On the POR-15 do you recommend doing it any certain way? On the website it looks like you can just by the rust preventive paint and paint it on the bottom over rust and it will stop it. Also they have kits. Any experiences with this? I have mainly just furface rust and this stuff looks like it might work in my case.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:08 PM

I would just take a wire brush and get all the flakes off then paint over it. POR= Paint Over Rust. I don't think it's necessary to buy all of their prep stuff.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:10 PM

Sweet man I might have to give the stuff a try. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:23 PM

Well, the power window decided to start working on the drive home from work. I'm going to keep investigating the problem, and just start carrying a tarp around in case I get stuck with it down. Seems to be something in the relay, but there also seems to be a problem with the window lock key. I read through a bunch of info on 4crawler, and it looks like it's not terribly hard to fix.

Another question for you Yota wizards. I found my truck had an original vehicle manual with it, just the consumer operation manual, not factory, but it says something about the fuel rating having to be at least 87 octane? Around here, it seems to be all 85, 87, 91, and the price difference is substantial between them. Any reason not to put 85 in the tank? I've been running it for about a week on an 85 tank, no horrible explosions or engine knocks. It's probably just a detail.

I'm going to reset the idle speed tomorrow and see how that works out. Been running great so far!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
EagleX
I have been parting out a 93 4runner and have the rear window relay you speak of. If you decide you need one let me know. I have quite a bit of interior parts left as well. I also have another 4runner I will be parting out in the next month or so, so if anybody else needs anything let me know.

Last edited by 85toyman; 04-06-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:33 AM

85toyman, I would be interested! Would you also happen to have the center console window lock switch? Something is messed up with mine! Let me know or PM me and we can work out details.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The center console window switch is the only switch I have already sold. I will have another 4runner to part out in about a month, and should have one then.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:27 AM

Sounds great! The window is working now, but I'd be interested in both those parts when you have them. Let me know what you want for them, and we'll cut a deal!

I thought I'd post some pics of that bedliner I put down. It dried out nice. I'm going fly fishing this weekend at 11 Mile Canyon, so won't get another coat on till next week, but it looks great already!

It's tough as nails! Wanted something a little more rugged for the back, since I'll be using this for camping, hauling, and generally getting everything from the seats back pretty dirty. I'm going to work on doing the same on the tailgate.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:07 PM

Honestly man, just jump the 2 wires I told you about at the window lock switch and be done with it. Unless you plan on 'locking' the switch in the center console... Personally I never saw a need for it so you can just jump those 2 wires and you'll never have to worry about it failing again, and there are no ill side effects from it.

I've never seen 85 before (unless it is E85 you're talking about). E85 is bad news, don't use that crap. If it is just crappy 85 octane gas, you should be fine unless you start beating on it and revving the crap out of it running it real hard. The lowest we have here is 87...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Rig - '93 4Runner 4x4, plus some questions!