86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new rebuild 22re some smoking

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry new rebuild 22re some smoking

I overhauled my 22re from my 89 4x4 with new main bearings new rod bearings new rings new oil pump new timing chain tensioner guides. I also swapped the whole head with a new one which i baught with new vlvs springs and cam already installed. Had a lot a vlv noise at first but found my old rocker arms worn so i replaced them and got it running smooth and quiet. Any of you out there with noisy vlv train beware of after market tappets i got some made out of soft metal so they would peen down and constantly put my vlv clearances out .Motor pulls strong now and been getting all the kinks ironed out. Truck didnt smoke before overhaul. Didnt smoke within first couple hundred miles but i have notice now it smokes on start up and when it idles for a while then you goose it. Quick puff of blue smoke(oil) Doesnt smoke at steady rpm or under load or with steady acceleration. Just during those two instances. Im changing the PCV vlv tonight cause a little oil in the line to the intake. I havent done a comp check yet but i can tell when ratcheting over the engine its going to be good. Did all the work with oversight from a retired mech who had his own machine shop so sure clearances and all were right and cylinders honed correctly aand rings installled correct. Sounds like vlv seals to me but looking for insight. Wandering if rings still havent seated good is a possability got about a thousand miles on it. Using 20w50 for oil. Used engine breakin lube in first oil change aswell. Also have dull noise i think is coming from injectors when lugging engine load conditions. Noise follows load not rpm . Any recommendations would be appreciated.Ordered reman injectors see if that makes it go away. Runs smooth and quiet except for the last two gripes. ANyone done vlv seals mine could have been cheap or installed wrong think that could be my prob?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Could be valve seals but changing them out will require pulling the head bolts and likely a new head gasket.
Also, in my opinion, 20w50 is a little heavy for breaking in the rings, so that may be part of the smoking issue. Maybe try going down to a 5w30 for a while. It'll likely smoke for a while but may get the rings to seat better.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just did an oil change so ill run it a bit like this then try that. I had a bit too much oil in it so i drained some tonight and changed the pcv valve plus a final tweak on the vlv clearances . Should get my new injectors in a few days. so have that project and a leaky clutch master cyclinder to replace aswell. Im in fl so stays pretty warm hear so i went with the 20w50. Lots of blood sweat and tears in this truck. Probably going to build another motor on a stand as a just in case motor too.