Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New rear bumper and sliders! *56k warning*

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
New rear bumper and sliders! *56k warning*

Woo! They finally came in the other day. My brand spankin new marlin crawler rear bumper and sliders. I ordered them from Big country Customs, and I got them to install the sliders, and mod my bumper to fit with my body lift.

I think they look GREAT! I had to paint them today so I got some pictures.

I also found out my exhaust was dumping RIGHT onto the bumper, so in a last ditch effort to "fix" this, I went and got a cheap crimp bend tip to route the exhaust away. Looks pretty goofy but I can't afford a new tailpipe right now.

Anyways onto the pictures!

Preping and covering the body to protect from overspray.

First coat

Done!!

I think they look great!

I used Tremclad auto gloss black paint, and I used some duplicolour prep whipes to get rid of the oil and dirt on the parts.

I did notice that the bumper blocked about 50% of my licence plate, so to keep the law happy I drilled two new holes allowing me to raise the plate about 1.5" All legal now

What do you guys think?
Old 01-25-2008, 02:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
awesome dude, i love my MC bumper too. Your truck is coming along nicely as well. Now get some front armor!
Old 01-25-2008, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks good dude. Those aux backup lights look awesome, I hadn't thought of putting them there, I might have to steal that idea.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
awesome dude, i love my MC bumper too. Your truck is coming along nicely as well. Now get some front armor!
Thanks! I was going to get a front bumper too, but since I have a body lift they (BCC) can't use their jigs, so it would cost roughly 700 bucks to get a nice tube bumper.
I just got back to work so that will come later in the year

Originally Posted by traben27
Looks good dude. Those aux backup lights look awesome, I hadn't thought of putting them there, I might have to steal that idea.
They fit perfect in the little hole there! They stick out about .5" on the sides but just keep them a little loose on the trails, that way if they hit somthing they will just move. Even if they break, they are pretty dang cheap to replace.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lookin good!
Old 01-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

*jealous*...but you already knew that paint looks good kid.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:53 PM

looks good! Awesome lights too! how close are they to the tailgate with you put the gate down? Do you think a 4runner tailgate will be able to come down?
Old 01-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Hehe, Time for oota to get one!
Old 01-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 94Runner4x4
looks good! Awesome lights too! how close are they to the tailgate with you put the gate down? Do you think a 4runner tailgate will be able to come down?
There is a good 2" between the tailgate and the bolts for the lights, when the gate is open.

Im not sure how much the runner gate opens but im sure you could make it work by trimming the bolt threads if needed.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:58 PM

When i put my MC rear bumper on I moved my license plate to the middle of the tailgate like 4runners have it.

If you pull off the inside cover you can splice into the factory lights and run wires up through drain holes in the bottom of the tailgate and use cheap license plate lights from autozone. I screwed two of those in and used sheet metal screws to screw the license plate straight to the tailgate. Its easily visible now as long as the tailgate is up. I've driven around with it down past several cops and they haven't pulled me over for it.

Just a thought...
Old 01-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

are you going to replace the front bumper?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by signalmtnyota
When i put my MC rear bumper on I moved my license plate to the middle of the tailgate like 4runners have it.

If you pull off the inside cover you can splice into the factory lights and run wires up through drain holes in the bottom of the tailgate and use cheap license plate lights from autozone. I screwed two of those in and used sheet metal screws to screw the license plate straight to the tailgate. Its easily visible now as long as the tailgate is up. I've driven around with it down past several cops and they haven't pulled me over for it.

Just a thought...

Thats what taran recomended but this way it stays in the original place, and its still very visable from a cop cars point of view.

Originally Posted by tortis
are you going to replace the front bumper?
Later this year, when I get some more money. Still got other mods to do
Old 01-25-2008, 05:22 PM

looks darn fine, although i like to see the custom fab, but no worries still kick a$$!!!
Old 01-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by geTBeNt2NIghT
looks darn fine, although i like to see the custom fab, but no worries still kick a$$!!!
Thanks! I can get some pictures tomorrow of how they modded the mouting brackets, VERY beefy!

Hey guys, what size shackles fit in the mc shackle mounts? My current ones are pretty loose in there.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
****************HIJACK*************

thats it a hijacking so give me give me give now on to the whatnots ok looks real good i love i really do but say one has made one in school how does one make it stick to the back of ones truck???? yes its me and i can weld it to the frame as the stock frame is really bad back there kinda thin and a lil rusty wont hold any ideas how is yours holding up under there? side bolts though the frame or just welded on i dont get or understand this part
Old 01-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by just a 22re
****************HIJACK*************

thats it a hijacking so give me give me give now on to the whatnots ok looks real good i love i really do but say one has made one in school how does one make it stick to the back of ones truck???? yes its me and i can weld it to the frame as the stock frame is really bad back there kinda thin and a lil rusty wont hold any ideas how is yours holding up under there? side bolts though the frame or just welded on i dont get or understand this part

......crack is so bad

If I understand your question, mine is simply bolted on using the stock holes, but new grade 8.8 (IIRC) bolts.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so just bolt her under there to the body of my runner? but see my truck never came with a rear bumper just a makeshift one didnt hold up to me standing on it so it came off now i got a really good one but no way to keep it under there and the holes your talking about i dont know where they are as i didnt have a rear bumper to take off and replace
Old 01-25-2008, 06:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
post pics we can help

so BCC sells marlin carlwer sliders and bumpers in canada??? there webpage doesnt have any prices or anything.... they ship anywhere in canada?

Last edited by bigt; 01-25-2008 at 06:53 PM. Reason: im dumb
Old 01-25-2008, 07:24 PM

Nice I can't wait to pick mines up

The lights would work there for me. I have hit that area too many times already
Old 01-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by just a 22re
so just bolt her under there to the body of my runner? but see my truck never came with a rear bumper just a makeshift one didnt hold up to me standing on it so it came off now i got a really good one but no way to keep it under there and the holes your talking about i dont know where they are as i didnt have a rear bumper to take off and replace
I would try and mount it to your frame instead of the body. If its possible.

Originally Posted by bigt
post pics we can help

so BCC sells marlin carlwer sliders and bumpers in canada??? there webpage doesnt have any prices or anything.... they ship anywhere in canada?
Yep, He has all the marlin stuff. Im not 100% how far they ship, I know they have shipped stuff into the us, so im sure he will ship it anywhere in canada.
Give them a call and talk to Taran.

Originally Posted by Sonofmayhem
Nice I can't wait to pick mines up

The lights would work there for me. I have hit that area too many times already
I try to be a bit more carefull

Quick Reply: New rear bumper and sliders! *56k warning*