86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New ps pump fail x2

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New ps pump fail x2

So this is the 2nd power steering pump I've put on my truck in the past two months. It's fresh from autozone and the stupid vacuum piece is brand new from Toyota. The pump doesn't work at all. Absolutely nothing. there's No bubbles in the resevior, no air in the system. I'm at a loss and not really sure what to do. Possible box gone bad? Lines clogged up? Not bled completely? I've hit the wall with ideas and need some advice. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:12 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
last person on here to go through two PS pumps in a short amount of time had a bad box.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:30 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Veezee! Was admiring the pics of your truck you just posted!

Anyway, .......there are 'THEORIES' abounding on things that could cause this. One thing can be deteriorating hoses/lines(they don't take well to all the bending we do to them when replacing pumps, rebuilding the motor, etc.). Another theory is "Maybe you just got a bad pump.....TWICE!" lol. Well, I tried FOUR PUMPS, Veezee..... and finally had to conclude it was most likely the box!

One thing I have to ask, .... are you using Power Steering Fluid or D-3 ATF? I have to run, I'll be back, but assuming you're using power steering fluid....(you probably aren't, just bear with me, lol).. I used PS fluid. I had no idea, because I NEVER, ONCE, had one of these PS systems give me an issue. They just kept going like the bunny! lol. What I ALSO did not know..... Toyota posted many warning bulletins, as have MANY GURU MECHANICS, Websites, saying ,.. "Regular Power Steering Fluid is the Number One KNOWN CAUSE of 'premature power steering pump and, further, gear box failure' ". I'm nearly convinced that's what caused my Box to fail. Mine was steering harder to the right than the left., ............ and 2 of the pumps seemed ok until I put the truck on the ground, and then they'd get stiff. I had NO air in the lines, flushed them well, etc., ....and actually, 2 of the pumps COMPLETELY failed!

The last pump, #4, which is an A-1 Cardone from O'Reilly... Well, it was BARELY WORKING, and a pro-Yota-guru looked in my reservoir, saying "yeah, not nearly enough circulation... Try cleaning the screen in there, but if not....sorry man, it's gotta be the box, especially if it turns harder one way, that's NEVER the pump, ever.".

So, with my barely working A-1 Cardone, brand new, .....and a Junk Yard Box, I swapped out the boxes, did the FSM Air Flush from the new Box, and VOILA, ...power steering like cutting butter with a hot knife!

It's all in my build thread, a few pages back from the end. If I have time soon, I'll find the spot where it was "SOLVED", and bring it over to ya, k?

Best wishes,

Mark

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-18-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:32 PM

I had a feeling that was probably it but I wasn't sure, I guess I'll try and find a junkyard box for now
Old 03-18-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Veezee! Was admiring the pics of your truck you just posted!

Anyway, .......there are 'THEORIES' abounding on things that could cause this. One thing can be deteriorating hoses/lines(they don't take well to all the bending we do to them when replacing pumps, rebuilding the motor, etc.). Another theory is "Maybe you just got a bad pump.....TWICE!" lol. Well, I tried FOUR PUMPS, Veezee..... and finally had to conclude it was most likely the box!

One thing I have to ask, .... are you using Power Steering Fluid or D-3 ATF? I have to run, I'll be back, but assuming you're using power steering fluid....(you probably aren't, just bear with me, lol).. I used PS fluid. I had no idea, because I NEVER, ONCE, had one of these PS systems give me an issue. They just kept going like the bunny! lol. What I ALSO did not know..... Toyota posted many warning bulletins, as have MANY GURU MECHANICS, Websites, saying ,.. "Regular Power Steering Fluid is the Number One KNOWN CAUSE of 'premature power steering pump and, further, gear box failure' ". I'm nearly convinced that's what caused my Box to fail. Mine was steering harder to the right than the left., ............ and 2 of the pumps seemed ok until I put the truck on the ground, and then they'd get stiff. I had NO air in the lines, flushed them well, etc., ....and actually, 2 of the pumps COMPLETELY failed!

The last pump, #4, which is an A-1 Cardone from O'Reilly... Well, it was BARELY WORKING, and a pro-Yota-guru looked in my reservoir, saying "yeah, not nearly enough circulation... Try cleaning the screen in there, but if not....sorry man, it's gotta be the box, especially if it turns harder one way, that's NEVER the pump, ever.".

So, with my barely working A-1 Cardone, brand new, .....and a Junk Yard Box, I swapped out the boxes, did the FSM Air Flush from the new Box, and VOILA, ...power steering like cutting butter with a hot knife!

It's all in my build thread, a few pages back from the end. If I have time soon, I'll find the spot where it was "SOLVED", and bring it over to ya, k?

Best wishes,

Mark
Mark I appreciate the info. I'll definitely have to check out your thread here in a little bit. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:43 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post51668315
Old 03-18-2011, 06:46 PM

This^^^.... went on for MORE THAN 4 PAGES! lol... I mean, it was just so odd, and I've never had a box fail on me... So, I recommend just DOING IT, if you can find one of low miles, preferably.... because you probably wont pay more than 100$. JUST BE CERTAIN it's not off a wrecked rig! (most wont do you like that, ...it's too dangerous and can have damage to the pitman, etc., ...so yeah, most wont, but BE SURE, YAH? LOL)

IF it is the box, and you DO decide to, then find one.... PLEASE hit me up, I have a few tips for you that will save you some serious time and PITA MOMENTS! K?

Have a good'n, and happy JYard Huntin!