86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new parts, still won't start, going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new parts, still won't start, going crazy

Hello all, I have been reading a while in the background and decided it was time to join.

I have a 1990 4 runner, 6 cyl., automatic. I love it. But it has a terrible intermittent starting problem since I bought it 4 years ago. There is no pattern to it at all. It just goes click. I know this is a normal problem with 4 runners of this time period, but NO ONE can seem to help me get it fixed. I have replaced the starter 3 times, the battery, the cables and all connections. I have tested the battery, the starter, and the alternator with a new micro vab 60 and they all test fine. It just goes click every time then finally it will start like there isn't a problem to begin with.

I heard it could be two things now. 1. the starter relay, so I might just re-wire the whole system from the ignition switch to the starter. OR, 2. the anti theft ignition security shut off. I heard it was under the hood above the wheel well and I could just disengage it. Can someone help me find where that is?

I have searched forums and car advice from everyone out there for months and no one can seem to help me with this. Everyone thinks it is just another bad starter. Well when I remove the starter and bring it to the store I bought it at and they bench test it and say it is fine they won't give me another anyway. I know it is probably one of the two above mentioned things. I want to try to dis engage the anti theft thing first as that should be easier than re-wiring the whole thing.

thanks for your help guys. I appreciate it.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Neutral Safety Switch, methinks.

I dont think there is any such thing as a anti-theft ignition security shutoff. Not on a 1990.

Do you have an aftermarket alarm?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
im gunna second the doubting its a security system. on a newer model maybe.

do you have a clutch start cancel switch? is the click you hear the relay clicking? (sounds like its coming from infront of the glovebox)
Old 02-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Staff

Why would he have a clutch start cancel on an Auto?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have the locktronics or any of those security systems that you plug a key into, remove it. When you are replacing your starter, are you using a denso starter? Any other brand is crap and dont last. When you tighten down the cable to the starter dont crank down hard on it. Just snug it down. Tightening it down to hard can twist the contact in the starter making it click
Old 02-15-2008, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Why would he have a clutch start cancel on an Auto?
lol whoops...i take that back
Old 02-15-2008, 11:23 AM

I have a 91, and rewired my ignition with a painless ignition harness w/ a relay. On these years the ignition switch handles the high load 12 v. current and is hard on the system....check out this writeup from 4crawler
Starter Relay

Also here is the FSM for a 93, it's the same as my 91....should be good for you.
Field Service Manual

...edit........2nd deathcougars question.....is there or was there ever an aftermarket alarm? I have an alarm and if it goes off until I reset it wont turn over.....I know that PeteF was having some troubles with his truck and had an old alarm give him some problems.....look under the dash and follow the thick red and black cables coming from your ignition switch and see if there are any splices in them......just a thought...
Good Luck

Last edited by jbyrdman; 02-15-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:00 AM

Thanks for your help guys. No, I don't have an alarm system. I don't think I should have used the word "alarm." From what I hear it is just the automatic shut off that prevents someone from using a different key to steal your truck. I am in the furniture repair business, so I don't know too much about vehicles, but damn I love my 4 runner. I always want to fix it myself instead of letting someone else touch it. You know what I mean. It's like having your wife go to someone else for a back rub......not on my watch!!

The clicking sound is coming from the relay. I think the resistance might just be too much for it now. I will give the write up a look, jbyrdman, thanks. I will repost when I know more about it. A friend is going to help me re-wire the ignition tomorrow. Wish us luck.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by safegyde
It's like having your wife go to someone else for a back rub......
I like that, mind if I put it in my E-mail sig?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:28 AM

Starter Relay testing, from fsm
Old 02-16-2008, 07:39 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
do you have a clutch start cancel switch? is the click you hear the relay clicking? (sounds like its coming from infront of the glovebox)
Sorry to hijack, but I have this issue. This relay near the glovebox clicks like 20x till it finally starts-wtf is that!
Old 02-16-2008, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by CJM
Sorry to hijack, but I have this issue. This relay near the glovebox clicks like 20x till it finally starts-wtf is that!
you check the battery connections, and connections at the starter?
Old 02-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Staff

Again I refer back to the Neutral Safety switch. I would be looking at that before you go wasting your time rewiring the ignition.

As for the Key not working etc etc, that is only in 2000 (IIRC) and up model years. My uncles '05 Solara has that (its called engine immobilizer) When he got a new key from the dealership, it would not start the car until he had it programmed to the ECU. BUT, your 1990 4Runner doesn't have any such thing, unless it was installed aftermarket.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:00 AM

Hey Safe,

There are only 3 switches in Your 90' truck that need to work to power the starter motor. In order: Ign.switch, Park Neutral safety switch, and Starter relay. (high amp. switch) located on starter motor.

If You hear a "click" in the engine compartment, when You turn key to start position, You just eliminated any question about 2 of the switchs.

In other words, Your ign. switch and park neutral safty switch are "Good".

The problem has to be in the starter relay, on starter motor. As the "click" You hear is relay rod trying to drive the relay contacts into closed position.

This is a Very Common problem with this design of starter, even when new. Denso MAY be a better starter but, You pay the price.

There is an exellent thread on this site, with pics, that show replacement of the contacts in this relay. Try searching starter repair. I dont know how to put a link here. It is posted by pitpatt

Thanks Kiwi

Last edited by Kiwipushrod; 02-16-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:34 AM

I also had/have this problem (click), had to change my plug wires anyway(they were very bad) and was planning to check starter after that but the starting problem has not accured after the new wires. Might just be a coincident. I guy told me though that really crappy plug wires can "drain" all your battery power, making it to weak to rotat the starter, but it do sounds a bit odd...
Old 02-16-2008, 02:39 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
you check the battery connections, and connections at the starter?
Battery connections are fine, starter connections I would guess arent. What happens is I can turn the key like 20x, and the relay near the glovebox clicks on and on and on, then one turn of the key and bingo.

On a further note the plug wires at the distrib are screwed and the truck runs really rough anyways. Its a parts truck but it does drive, gonna just take it to my shop and park it when I get some time.

Last edited by CJM; 02-16-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:54 AM

Found the problem There WAS a cheap after market alarm that was installed by a previous owner that had been mostly disconnected. This type of alarm was tapped into the ignition system. It was disconnected all except for the power and ground for some reason. We took all that extra crap out and found that one of the ignition wires was just twisted together and had some light corrosion on it. It was basically creating too much resistance which wouldn't allow the power to be delivered to the relay like it should. We properly connected that wire like it should be and it is working fine now. No problems.....not yet anyways.

Apparently this is a common problem with the 4 runners of the 87 - 91 era. I would suggest that if anyone has this intermittent starting problem and they have checked the power delivery to the starter from the battery and it is fine that they think about re-wiring the starter relay.

I checked out the Hot Shots product from Painless that was posted on this thread and I recommend it highly. It is a very affordable product, much cheaper than a new starter or battery, about $35. When you go onto the site you will see the product numbered 30202, when you go to buy it it takes you to a list of dealers from which to purchase it from and you have to search for it again. I found it very frustrating as on some sights it doesn't recognize the product name, number, or anything. Go to the Autozone page and it takes you straight to the very product you want.

Thanks to all you guys for your help. This website makes this hobby a lot more fun.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:52 AM

That fixed the problem for a long time, until the stupid starter that I bought from Advance autoparts crapped out on me. I don't have a heat shield for the starter and ALL the starters you get from those auto stores are rebuilt. I had a mechanic friend order me a brand new one. Starts every single time now!!

If only my transmission didn't stop working on me!! AAARRRRGGG. If you have time, and know transmissions, read my other post and see if you can lend some advice please. thanks,
Old 03-05-2011, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new starter an OEM one? If it's not, chances are that one will crap out too.