86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New owner, won't start- no check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner, won't start- no check engine light

Hello all, I picked up a cherry '86 4runner with the 22RE a few months back, and a couple weeks back some problems developed. I'm just going to run through it, so here goes.
First, the head gasket went south, so I fixed that, only to need some injector seals after I put it back together. Ordered the seals from Toyota, put 'em in, the truck started up and ran fine in the driveway for about 20 minutes and on a run around the neighborhood. I then went to adjust the valves, since I had the tools out still and figured why the hell not. I go to start it back up. No deal. Charge it all night, turns out to be the starter randomly decided to go south. I slap a new starter in, turns over, cranks right up- and stalls about a second and a half later. The check engine light is now suddenly not working, though it did earlier that day before I did the starter. I checked all electrical connections, vacuum lines, grounds, and fuses. Nothing appears to be amiss. There's power at the EFI and ignition fuses as well as into the ECU, the EFI relay clicks, it has spark, and I cracked the fuel feed line and gas sprayed out when cranking. I tried jumping the fuel test connector and I did not hear the pump. I also noticed tonight that with the key off the charge light and check engine light are glowing very dimly with the key off. With the key on the CEL does not light at all, even with the diagnostic connector jumped, and the charge light glows normally until started.
I have dug around online and in the Haynes manual and the only thing I can think to check(or should I say replace) is the circuit opening relay. I am at a loss otherwise. This sequence of events has been highly frustrating. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Shane
Old 01-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
even though the EFI relay may be clicking it doesn't mean that its actually making a connection, if you know how a relay works you can use a little jumper wire to bypass it and see if it works then, you need to jump pins "30" and "87" that is a quick way of eliminating it as a potential problem
Old 01-21-2008, 10:26 PM

Yeah, true, I considered that, but if the EFI relay were bad would there be switched power at the ECU connectors like there is?
Old 01-22-2008, 08:31 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like bad grounding or loose connections. Look at the fusible link and fuse box closely for corrosion and such.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:43 AM

Yeah, loose connection. Check and double check. Clean dirty connectors with electrical cleaner.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my neons head light did this same thing but in stead of the cel it was the brights on dimly it was infact a bad ground so go though all the wires at the ecu and under the hood for the one bad ground hope that helps
Old 01-22-2008, 01:16 PM

I have an 86 doing the same thing. When I turn the key off the CEL stays on dim. My clock and radio will not turn off either. Once I pull the neg battery cable the CEL goes out but the radio will still stay on. I checked the wiring to the radio and it's wired correct. If I can find out whats going on with mine I'll let you know. Ron
Old 01-22-2008, 06:08 PM

I hate electrical gremlins. I second thook, sounds like a ground issue.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It occurred to me, it could also be from moisture. See if there's any corrosion at the ECM and/or fuse box. Moisture/corrosion can cause currents to cross over.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:13 AM

you need to triple check your connections.
battery ground. should be one tothe chassis and one to the block.
also one ground strap frorm the fire wall to the back of the head.

also check this ground lug:
Old 01-23-2008, 07:23 AM

I have checked the ground to the chassis and the block, as well as the one on the back of the head and one on the front of the head. But I know there's no ground on that manifold stud that is pictured. I will double check for it. I don't recall if there was one there when I did the head. Where does the other end of it lead to?
Thanks for the tips guys. I will go through and check grounds after work.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by skimballc
I have checked the ground to the chassis and the block, as well as the one on the back of the head and one on the front of the head. But I know there's no ground on that manifold stud that is pictured. I will double check for it. I don't recall if there was one there when I did the head. Where does the other end of it lead to?
Thanks for the tips guys. I will go through and check grounds after work.
the early 22RE have the groung lug like the pic. later, 89 on, has the two bolts forward, bolted to the same spot, just in a slightly different way. all 22RE's have them. you need to locate yours. the grounds lead to ultimatly all the sensors on the engine. there is about 5 ground splices that they tie into. and its possible they were near the point of breaking, and when you took it apart they broke. all they are is a flat copper piece folded over the wires. they can become dirty corroded or broken. inorder to determine breaks, first find the lug, and connect it, if no luck. the harness has to be torn down.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:41 AM

80W90, you sir are a wizard. I found that ground and all is alive and well. It was bolted on but loosely. Thanks a million.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by skimballc
80W90, you sir are a wizard. I found that ground and all is alive and well. It was bolted on but loosely. Thanks a million.
thanks
and you are welcome
Old 01-25-2008, 05:34 AM

80W90 I found my ground tucked under the intake manifold. THANK YOU!!