Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New Owner and Got a Leak...Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New Owner and Got a Leak...Help

Hi Guys

I am a new owner of a 95 4runner 4x4 v6. I picked her up last weekend and drove her home with noproblems. Last owner had service records such as oil changes, timing belt, water pump, new muffler. Drove her to work, with no problems

last night, i decided to check the oil. The dip stick had oil almost to the F on the stick, so i added 1/2 qt. Maybe i over filled it? The seller i got it from just did the oil change some 50 miles ago, according to oil change sticker on the window, but it looked low when i pulled the stick
I went out, and when i got home i started smelling some burning smell coming through the air vents. I popped the hood and seen some white smoke coming from where the dip stick is. Cant tell for sure exactly where. I got under and there is a very slow leak. It must be dripping on something to create that odor. Small quarter size spot of oil in my garage

This morning, it was the same size spot. The truck, stopped leaking. I drove around to run some errands, and as the car got warm, that odor would come back, and more oil spots on the ground. When the truck cools down, the leaks stop

How do i fix this. I have some knowledge, but im still a rookie
Old 03-15-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you spill oil when you dumped some in? How full is it now? Can you see where the leak is coming from?
Old 03-15-2008, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by toytech76
Did you spill oil when you dumped some in? How full is it now? Can you see where the leak is coming from?
I did spill a lil bit, since i didnt have a funnel. I just see under the truck where it's wet, and i see a couple drops dripping from the transmission it looks like. The dip stick is 3/4 full, like when i first put some oil in. I just heard, when you pull a stick, it should be almost dripping and you can really see the oil. I didnt, see that, so that's why i added

If it is from my spill, how long does it take for it to dry up?
Old 03-15-2008, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by bozz
I did spill a lil bit, since i didnt have a funnel. I just see under the truck where it's wet, and i see a couple drops dripping from the transmission it looks like. The dip stick is 3/4 full, like when i first put some oil in. I just heard, when you pull a stick, it should be almost dripping and you can really see the oil. I didnt, see that, so that's why i added

If it is from my spill, how long does it take for it to dry up?
Depends on how much a 'lil bit' is. Is it clean or dirty oil thats dripping? What do you mean the stick should be almost dripping? The oil level should be at the F mark. Anywhere between the L and F marks is ok but not below or above it. Valve cover gaskets and rear cam plugs are notorious for leaking on those
Old 03-15-2008, 07:42 PM

Depends on how much a 'lil bit' is. Is it clean or dirty oil thats dripping? What do you mean the stick should be almost dripping? The oil level should be at the F mark. Anywhere between the L and F marks is ok but not below or above it. Valve cover gaskets and rear cam plugs are notorious for leaking on those
The spill was probably a spoon full
How do i check if it's clean or dirty? I did touch where it was dripping from the bottom of the car and it looked like new oil, but on the ground was dirty. I just heard the stick should be dripping, but i wasnt trying to do that. It was between the L and F. Where is the valve cover located? I know it has 2, and it's leaking on the drivers side. What do the valve covers look like?

Last edited by bozz; 03-15-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:44 PM

The left valve cover is where you poured in the new oil. If it just started leaking on the drivers side after you put oil in it and spilled oil, its a good chance thats what you are seeing
Old 03-15-2008, 07:50 PM

The left valve cover is where you poured in the new oil. If it just started leaking on the drivers side after you put oil in it and spilled oil, its a good chance thats what you are seeing
I sure hope it is. It didnt start smelling and smoking until after i put oil in it. Is there anything i can spray around that area to clean it out?
Old 03-15-2008, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by bozz
I sure hope it is. It didnt start smelling and smoking until after i put oil in it. Is there anything i can spray around that area to clean it out?

Wait, the smoke comes from the other side of the intake hose, not near the engine oil cap. Could the spill run along something and end up on the other side of the intake hose?
Old 03-15-2008, 08:19 PM

its hard to say without seeing it. If it started AFTER you put oil in it then I would suspect something you did
Old 03-15-2008, 08:36 PM

I just did a H22A swap on my honda, after putting the motor in there and starting it for the first time i had the same problem, but mine was only because i had spilled oil on the downpipe and it was burning off. Chances are your having the same problem, maybe not in the same place, but burning oil. Run your motor for about 5 minutes, let it sit, check the oil and fill/drain accordingly, after that drive it a bit and check again. If the level is lower, your leaking somewhere, if not then you just have to deal with that smell until it is all gone.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:11 PM

got up this morning, no leaks. When i got to work (only 2 miles away), i started smelling it, and a few drops under. I popped the hood, and white smoke.

If it was from my spoonful oil spill, how long does it take for it to evaporate? It's been 3-4 days now, but i've only driven 10-12 miles in those days, if that helps
Old 03-17-2008, 12:21 PM

You may have a leaky gasket on top. It may just be seeping just a tiny bit. It might have dripped on the headers and smoked a bit. I hope you even put oil in it and not another forgien substance. If it was almost full i would have not messed with it. Try spraying down your engine and get all the gunk and oil off that you can. Then try and start it up and see if that was the issue. Where was the white smoke even coming from. Sure your not over heating or something? To much oil in an engine can cause a few issues. Sometimes it can slip or spill over out of the leaky gaskets or the cap if its not tight.If its really that serious, change the oil again. The person you bought it from may have lied and not changed the oil in years. Or who ever did it put back in crap oil.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:24 PM

i know buring oil is a smelly mess but get used to it like i said spray it off with a hose and see.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
You may have a leaky gasket on top. It may just be seeping just a tiny bit. It might have dripped on the headers and smoked a bit. I hope you even put oil in it and not another forgien substance. If it was almost full i would have not messed with it. Try spraying down your engine and get all the gunk and oil off that you can. Then try and start it up and see if that was the issue. Where was the white smoke even coming from. Sure your not over heating or something? To much oil in an engine can cause a few issues. Sometimes it can slip or spill over out of the leaky gaskets or the cap if its not tight.If its really that serious, change the oil again. The person you bought it from may have lied and not changed the oil in years. Or who ever did it put back in crap oil.
Yeah, i put oil in it - just a little. The white smoke is coming from this area in the pic. There was a oil change sticker on the windows saying it was just changed, and i have the receipt for it. Should i spray it with a pressure washer? Would simple green work? What do i cover so i dont screw something up. I dont see any symptoms of overheating. The coolant is full and fresh, and my gauge is fine.Here is the pic of where the smoke is coming from

Last edited by bozz; 03-17-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:57 PM

That hook is your engine hanger and the ribbed plastic cover near the hook is your valve cover. Looks to me like your valve cover gaskets are leaking just a bit and dripping onto your exhaust manifold and crossover. Once you've driven the truck for a while it heats up (the exhaust crossover manifold) and the little bit of oil smokes.
It's not going to hurt your engine at all really, just as long as you keep an eye on the oil level on the dip stick. Really just more of an irritant, but very typcial of these V6 engines. I have a 92 V6 and it leaks a bit too.

You could hose it off, but it's just going to continue to leak a bit till you get the valve cover gaskets replaced.

Last edited by snelson; 03-17-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:23 PM

might be a valve cover or just what was spilled I use Purple Power de-greaser and it works great for getting oil off of the motor.

one thing I do is hook up the garden hose to a hot water line and it really gets the gunk and oil off after the de-greaser has a chance to soak in. I also do not dilute the de-greaser I use it full strength.