86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New (to me) truck tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New (to me) truck tips?

Hey guys, I'm new here but I'm going to pickup my 90 Toyota Pickup V6 tonight.

Just wondering if there are any maintenance things I should do as soon as I get it or anything else I should try and check out. BTW, it has 199K miles on it. Thanks!

flammenwurfer
Old 08-28-2008, 06:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by flammenwurfer
Hey guys, I'm new here but I'm going to pickup my 90 Toyota Pickup V6 tonight.

Just wondering if there are any maintenance things I should do as soon as I get it or anything else I should try and check out. BTW, it has 199K miles on it. Thanks!

flammenwurfer
go here and print out maintenance intervals for your truck...then follow it

Buy a FSM or at least a Haynes or Chiltons service manual

Thats about all u need to know! congrats!

http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/
Old 08-28-2008, 07:10 AM

Awesome, thanks for the link and tip. I can't wait to get off work so I can go pick it up!

*Edit*
I went to that link and my Pickup isn't listed and years only go back to 97.

Last edited by flammenwurfer; 08-28-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:46 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
See if you can get any history on repairs or maintenance. Atleast listen for valve noise, check the drivetrain and steering/front end for grease, check ALL fluid levels, and check for break wear and operation. As well, give a look over for any possible things that might be a problem down the road; like rusted, frozen up parts (spare tire mount, particularly), brake lines, fuel lines, broken wires, holes in the intake tubing, anything cracked, broken, or possibly missing, check the radiator inside and out (big one!), drive belts, battery life (when was it bought), brake and clutch fluids (if it's standard) for contamination. You might even check the ECU for stored codes. It's simple enough to do.

Anyway, that's all I can think of at the moment. Those are things I'd do knowing what I know now.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:02 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you can get maintenance records, great, but that's pretty unusual.

I would replace EVERY fluid in the truck - lots of recommendations on here with what people are having good luck with. That way, you know where you're starting from.

On the V6, the timing belt and water pump were due at 180k - be sure to check if they were done!
Old 08-28-2008, 08:03 AM

Awesome, thanks thook!

I'll probably be back on here asking for more detailed instructions on how to do some of those things. I'll be sure to search for other threads explaining them first though, of course!
Old 08-28-2008, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do the basic tune up if it hasn't been done.

Spark Plugs
Spark Plug Wires
Inspect Cap/Rotor and replace if necessary
Fuel Filter

and do what's mentioned above replace oil and do a coolant flush.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:37 AM

Thanks everybody!

I picked her up yesterday after work. It's torture having to leave her sitting in the driveway until I get plates. Luckily I should be able to get them today. Here's a pic. Sorry for the quality, I took it with my phone this morning when I left for work.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:46 AM

Nice truck, Make sure the timming belt and water pump have been done.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:06 AM

Thanks!

I apologize for being a noob, but is there a way for me to tell if they have been done? Or will I have to take it to somebody?
Old 08-29-2008, 07:13 AM

Thanks!

I apologize for being a noob, but is there a way for me to tell if they have been done? Or will I have to take it to somebody?
Have you had a chance to run through the FSM as someone posted earlier? It's *usually* done every 60k miles. You can ask the previous owner if they did it or had it done or if they know when the last time it was done and go from there.

You can also check for physical wear on the actual belt itself.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:13 AM
tc
Contributing Member

They redesigned the belt, and the recommended interval is now 90k miles ... either way, it was due at 180k!

You would have to have receipts or talk to the previous owner. By the time you got it taken apart enough to inspect the belt, you may as well replace it.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:25 AM

I see. I'll see if I can't find out from the previous owner.

If it needs to be replaced, is it something that a not extremely mechanically inclined individual like myself would be able to do?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:42 AM

I see. I'll see if I can't find out from the previous owner.

If it needs to be replaced, is it something that a not extremely mechanically inclined individual like myself would be able to do?
Depends on how confident you are with yourself. You should replace your water pump and a couple other misc. things as well if you are going through that trouble.

I won't touch timing belts myself for the simple fact if you mess up or it's not aligned correctly...you can take out the bottom end of the motor or ruin something internally. No pressure or anything...lol
Old 08-29-2008, 08:50 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Actually, it's not that bad from a technical standpoint. You just have to line up the marks. Mine did not require any special tools, other than a torque wrench that goes to 217 ft-lbs. It is quite a bit of work, though. I think the going rate in a shop is about $700... the parts are only like $200.

There are writeups on here. Ignore any that say you don't have to pull the radiator. The time it takes to pull the radiator is WAY worth it in speed and less frustration through the rest of the project!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:42 AM

Hi everyone. I'm in the same boat with respect to newness as flammenwurfer too. I bought a 97 T100 on Monday and am looking for information on what to do. I'll take the advice given above and replace fluids, flush the radiator, and at minimum inspect things like belts.

The truck has a 4" suspension lift and 3" body lift. It's got 33x12.5 tires on it and I suspect I should probably re-gear the diffs. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance.

Chip
Old 08-29-2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by tcoiler
Hi everyone. I'm in the same boat with respect to newness as flammenwurfer too. I bought a 97 T100 on Monday and am looking for information on what to do. I'll take the advice given above and replace fluids, flush the radiator, and at minimum inspect things like belts.

The truck has a 4" suspension lift and 3" body lift. It's got 33x12.5 tires on it and I suspect I should probably re-gear the diffs. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance.

Chip
Did the previous owner do all these mods himself? It may have been done already so if the person you brought it from has a clue they would be able to tell you if it's re-geared or not.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:28 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostinChick
Depends on how confident you are with yourself. You should replace your water pump and a couple other misc. things as well if you are going through that trouble.

I won't touch timing belts myself for the simple fact if you mess up or it's not aligned correctly...you can take out the bottom end of the motor or ruin something internally. No pressure or anything...lol
There's really nothing to worry about. There are folks who've had their timing belt even snap and nothing was harmed. The motor just stops running. Nothing to turn the distributor, nothing to cause the motor to run. With the belt out of time, the oil pump will run (assuming the oil pump is working), but the timing is off. So, the motor either runs ragged or not at all. It's nothing like the 22re wherein valve/piston synchronization is thrown off and valves most likely are destroyed. Possibly even pistons and crankshaft. That doesn't happen very often, though. Tough little boogers.

Really, the 3vze timing belt is so easy to do. Like tc said, just line the marks up on the cams and crank, make sure the distributor is lined up, put the belt around the assembly, reapply the tensioner, spin the motor over a couple times to check alignment, and button it all up. I know....it seems so big and intimidating at first. But, you could do it, he could it, most anyone with a brain and mechanical inclinations could do it.

And, I agree with tc.....pull the radiator. It's so much nicer of an experience.

Last edited by thook; 08-29-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by BoostinChick
Did the previous owner do all these mods himself? It may have been done already so if the person you brought it from has a clue they would be able to tell you if it's re-geared or not.
Good point. I'll email the guy. IIRC he said the person before him did the mods so I won't pin all my hopes on it.

Anyone know the stock ratios? I could just jack the thing up and count turns of the drive shaft vs. wheels. That would be the "sure" thing.
------
Addendum:
Argh. Just realized this is slightly the wrong forum. Sorry.

Last edited by tcoiler; 08-29-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:26 PM

Hey, congrats tcoiler! Glad I'm not the only noob at the moment. Show us some pics of your new ride!

Keep me updated on what you do to yours, and I'll do the same.

PS. Just got my plate! Time to go for a ride.

Quick Reply: New (to me) truck tips?