Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New to me truck pulls to the right.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me truck pulls to the right.

Just purchased a 1990 P/U. When I test drove it I noticed that it pulled to the right. No big deal I thought and purchased it negotiating this "defect" into the price.
Short story long, the lower control arm had a noticeable tweak in it and a small crack. I replaced it with a new factory piece and today I took it to the local tire place to have it aligned. No joy on the alignment.
The tech made it noticeably better, but had a tough time getting it within spec, so they didn't charge me. He suggested that because of my lift, I may have the wrong "pitman" arm on the passenger side.
It is flat and he believes it should be stepped. I can't take it to the local 4WD shop until they open on Tuesday, so I thought I would post here to see if it's an obvious fix.
I don't know the manufacturer of the lift and neither does the person I bought it from. The truck is originally from the state of Washington and the PO drove it here to Buffalo NY and decided to sell it. I bought it because the body is rust free and that is not normal for these parts.
The other thing I noticed is that it does not have manual locking hubs as most trucks of this vintage do. It does not have ADD either.
When I pulled a wheel to check the brakes it has some sort of disk or flange that apparently keep the front wheels locked all the time. I think I want to replace this with Toyota manual hubs as I am familiar with. Here is a picture of the truck and a picture of the pitman arm he thinks is wrong.
Attached Thumbnails New to me truck pulls to the right.-1990-toyota.jpg   New to me truck pulls to the right.-pitman-arm.jpg  
Old 03-14-2011, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

Still pulls to the right.

Apparently the item in question is the idler arm and not the pitman arm. I am not sure that a problem with this part could cause a pull to the right. One of the things that is giving me concern is that the blue bushing to the left in the picture is not tight and flush like the one on the right in the picture. Ther nut is up far enough for the cotter pin to pass through but the whole thing doesn't look tight.
Thanks
Jerry

Last edited by jerbear; 03-14-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:55 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Drive flanges ARE ADD

You need some on hands help so see what the shop says. Don't tell them what the other guy said either.

:wabbit2:
Old 03-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

Took it to a shop and the mechanic took it for a test drive. He told me I have a problem,......really? He told me to make an appointment and leave it for the day. In the mean time he asked if the tires had been rotated and I replied no. He told me to swap the front tires and see if there was any change. I swapped the front tires and there was no change. While I had the front end up and the tires off I took a ride on my creeper and took a ride under the truck. The one thing I noticed is that the passenger side torsion bar is closer to the body than the torsion bar on the drivers side. I can fit my finger between the t-bar and the body on the drivers side but not on the passenger side. If on T-bar is cranked/loosened to far from the other, could this cause the vehicle to pull?

Last edited by jerbear; 03-16-2011 at 08:23 AM.