Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New (to me) 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 09:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New (to me) 4Runner

Whats up guys I have been around here for quite some time but I had a 3rd gen before. I had to sale it due the changing of my job which made it unpratical for me at that time. I had to buy something that I could use to travel everyday as I am an outside sales rep so I have been 4Runner-less for the last 9 months and it has been killing me. I was able to strike a deal with a guy here locally yesterday on a 92 that needs a little bit of work. Here is a few pics of it from this past winter as I haven't been able to get any new ones yet.

The guy I bought it from said that he was just driving down the interstate at about 70mph and with no warning it just lost power and cut off. He parked it back in Feb and it has sat there ever since. It came with a new fuel pump so I am going to try that first. If that isn't it I will start to look elsewhere. Maybe the distributor, or timing belt? It will turn over fine witout any hesitation and it sounds fine doing it but it will just not start. I am not familiar with the 3.0 motors at all as this is my first one so all you 3.0 guys want to chime in and offer up some suggestions as to what the probelm may be it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a plans to make it a good all around wheelable rig as was my 3rd gen. I am going to start with a moderate lift (BJ spacers in front with LC coils in rear along with a 1" RB BL) to clear 33's and black wheels. Put some type of locker in the rear and some sliders, bumpers, etc. Of course all of this comes after I fix whatever the mecahical problem is. I hope to have all of this done by the beginning of Fall.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had a few people tell me that it was most likely an electrical probelm rather than a fuel delivery problem. I was thinking maybe it could be the distributor or the ignition coil? Any ideas? I would just like to elimate all the trial and error that I can. Thanks for any and all help.