Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New half-axle - no go backie !

Old 10-07-2007, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New half-axle - no go backie !

I'm about 90% done with replacing the DS half-axle on my 1993 Toyota P/U. After heating and banging the rusty suspension and drive components for the better part of 3 hours, I got everything loose and the old half-axle out. I had to cut the stabilizer bar attachment to the LCA, destroying the tie-rod end, and end-up breaking two of the four 12mm TCA bolts. I finally squeezed the old half-axle out and got the new one in (so I thought). I proceeded to bolt everything up after throwing a new rotor on and repacking the wheel bearings. ( I just bought the truck 3 months ago w/ 135k miles). I subsequently noticed that the half-axle does not appear to be fully seated in the spindle. The is a gap of approximately 1/8 in at the back of the spindle/rotor guard. I attempted to seat the 12mm gold bolt in the end of the spindle and use it to pry the half-shaft through the spindle...no luck. I tried rototating the axle back and forth....no luck.....I also tried raising and lowering the front IFS ...no luck....any ideas out there ?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 10-07-2007, 04:47 PM

SAS it so you don't have to go through that ordeal again.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

sounds like you didn't put the snap ring back on
Old 10-07-2007, 06:57 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My truck lived the first part of it's life in Ohio - I can't imagine yours was more rusted than mine and I didn't have to go through ANYTHING like that.

x2 for the circlip/snapring (the bolt/washer is more like a "safety" - won't actually pull the axle in)
Old 10-08-2007, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by slosurfer
sounds like you didn't put the snap ring back on
Which snap-ring...isn't there only one which is on the outboard side of the axle ?

"x2 for the circlip/snapring (the bolt/washer is more like a "safety" - won't actually pull the axle in)"

I don't have enough room to get the splined space and the circ clit back on the axle.....I was investigating that when I noticed that the axle was not fully seated to the backside of the spindle.

Any other ideas...t minus 30 minutes before everything comes apart...AGAIN

Joe
Old 10-08-2007, 05:18 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sometimes, they are a bit of a pain to get in and seated correctly. I usually have to push the axle in from the backside while trying to work the clip down the splines into the groove.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:38 AM

Got It !

So the secret was ensuring the outboard end of the axle was seated prior to raising the LCA....once I unbolted every thing and flexed the LCA down it slid right in and fully seated.

Thanks for all the recommendations !

Joe