86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

new guy, tackling HG job on 22RE

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new guy, tackling HG job on 22RE

been reading the forums for about a month, preparing to do the headgasket job on a 94 4runner i bought for $200.

everything going ok so far, but something i was planning on doing was removing the PAIR valve crap and the EGR crap. already got the PAIR valve and its related tubing etc. thrown out, but gotta come up with something to block off the EGR ports. i figured i'd just make a triangular plate to block where it bolts to the head, and a small one where it bolts to the intake plenum. after looking at the rear cover on the head, it appears that it's related to the EGR, and i'm wondering if i can just block the port in it, or does it route oil, etc. also? just looking for the easiest way to do this, and this board has a WEALTH of information, but i haven't seen anyone else address this issue.

in south mississippi, we don't have any nazi smog laws like kalifornia, so removing will have NO legal implications. i've removed the PAIR valve, EGR, and charcoal canister on a couple of my other cars, most recently a 1990 nissan 240sx with a DOHC motor swap, and any emissions that were on my 1976 280z turbo are gone too.

Last edited by EviL inside; 10-21-2008 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:04 PM

looks like the headgasket failed between the water jacket and combustion chamber on 1, 2, and 3. those were the only ones that had rust on the intake valve, #4 was as should be expected, a little carbon, but no mess.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
#1 obviously failed
#2 isn't so bad, but wet oil isn't a good sign
#3 same as #2
#4 the head gasket has telltale signs of deposits on the head gasket and the piston crown is nearly as clean as #1

maybe a fuel filter replacement is in order though?

and baseline US emissions are a federal requirement so even though your state may not test, if a BIT inspector decides to pull you over, your emissions should be in working order or else it's off to federal court for you.
and federal emissions requirements are necessary for travel on BLM land as well- read as "national forests" or other "federally protected reserves"

Last edited by abecedarian; 10-16-2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:23 PM
kev

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could leave the Emissions controls intact, but not use them. I hope all goes well with the rebuild! Kev
Old 10-16-2008, 05:25 PM

let me add that BIT inspectors can also use road-side exhaust testing equipment so you may not even have to be pulled over to get a citation.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:31 PM

your better off leaving the emissions as is. if you want it to run right. efi of coarse.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:37 PM

shhh...
don't tell em that the PAIR system injects air into the exhaust at the head/manifold connection and the O2 system expects to read emissions with the PAIR system installed...
and the EGR lowers combustion temps which helps the engine run leaner and make more power and mileage....

don't tell.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:50 PM

some gears and a 22re can go a long way. with emissions.. sssh. don't tell.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 PM

yeah, don't tell anyone that proper gear ratios can take a truck almost anywheres... even old WWII jeeps only made about 35 hp.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:13 PM

the oil in 2 and 3 are from when i removed the head, some oil spilled.

i'd be surprised if anyone in this state has ever even HEARD of a "BIT" inspector, i'd be even more surprised if anyone here has ever had a run-in with one. there's far worse cars/trucks on the road here that would draw much more attention than my 4runner. removing the emissions has never had any detrimental effects any other time i've done it, i wouldn't really expect any different with this one. a higher level of simplicity is a good thing, to a point.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:21 PM

whether or not you've heard of "BIT" inspectors, they are there- Bureau of Interstate Transport, and they have jurisdiction over every vehicle on the road with regards to Federal regulations.
If you've ever seen a 'semi'/tractor trailer pulled over by a state 'trooper'/'police'/'highway patrol' or other vehicle, like an F350 or other full-sized truck, that's the BIT inspector. And there are Federal Police that patrol too who have jurisdiction.
Some may say that seeing is believing... I trend towards believing is seeing. Subtle difference.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:53 PM

having the head rebuilt now. $135 to deck it, tank it, grind valves, install the new seals and pressure check it.

oh, and the fuel filter is getting relocated to the inner passenger fender.

Last edited by EviL inside; 10-20-2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:55 PM

cool deal.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:57 PM

yeah, hopefully i don't get laid off from work tomorrow, so i can still pay for it.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:25 PM

Old 10-23-2008, 08:33 PM

so, you didn't get laid off?

things are looking good!

blow them head bolt holes in the block out before you try to put a stud in them.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:34 PM

but I see some marks in some of those cylinder bores...
are you planning on honing the bores and installing new rings?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:36 PM

i've stuffed a rod in each one wrapped in a rag over and over till it comes out clean, going to chase the threads them clean them again.

i've felt very carefully on the bores, nothing perceptible, if i have to do rings, i'll just pull the whole motor and rebuild or put in a used one (with the rebuilt head of course).

went through a scare at work, they tell us some dealers will get laid off, don't tell us how many, then delay the announcements twice. 2 days later only 3 dealers got laid off.

good job, keep everyone living in fear. the atmosphere at work those 3 days was grim.

Last edited by EviL inside; 10-23-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:31 PM

sad to say, I know what you mean about the management putting the fear of dog into people.

but otherwise, I see the bores don't look too bad, but noticeable vertical marks in the bores implies something has been rubbing against it. 's why I asked if you were gonna hone them.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:31 AM

got alot done, had a friend send me some new exhaust studs, nice ones with that you screw in with an external torx socket, and new self-locking shouldered nuts.

bought alot of new bolts, i figured i'd just replace everything i take off. i bought 2 packs of these bolts at autozone for $10 a box, comes with the 3 most common thread/pitch bolts, nuts, and washers.

blocked off the EGR, made a stainless plate to mount to the intake plenum, and cut the original EGR valve where it meets the head, welded it full, then ground it flat and painted it.

i'd like to introduce you to my best friend,,,,

and i made a discovery, a HUGE oil filter that will work in place of the factory one, should have MUCH more filter media. the only problem i could see is if i had not removed the PAIR stuff from the bottom of the intake, it could get in the way. but thankfully, the PAIR valve is in a landfill.

one thing i'm still stuck on,,,i want to replace my injector seals, but looking at the ones that came out has me puzzled. most cars use a generic seal, and the seals i have fit the injector, but i don't know if the old ones are shaped like they are just because the motor overheated and they squeezed out,,,or if they are a special seal that i'll have to pay more $$$ for.

new seal installed on the left, old seal still on the injector on the right.

oh yeah, played around with the powdercoating gun and a toaster oven.

Last edited by EviL inside; 11-13-2008 at 01:03 AM.

Quick Reply: new guy, tackling HG job on 22RE