Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New guy new truck needs help

Old 05-04-2015, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy new truck needs help

So I just picked up a 1987 Toyota pickup. It's a 4x4 with manual transmission. The trucks emblems say it's the turbo charged model but the truck doesn't have a turbo. So here's my question this thing is a major dog when you're going uphill. I'm having trouble keeping it above 55 on a 75 mph road. 4th gear with my foot on the floor will keep it at 55 but no acceleration whatsoever.
This is my first Toyota and my first 4 cylinder at that. So tell me, is this normal or is something wrong here. My suspicion is that the trans was set up for a turbocharged motor and now that it doesn't have one it's not performing as it should. It's also killing my gas mileage which is why I bought the truck in the first place because my v8 dodge was killing me on gas.
Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-04-2015, 11:57 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Not having any idea how many miles are on the engine it could just be old and tired.

Good tune up with air and fuel filter can make a big difference.

What size tires bigger tires do impact fuel mileage and performance. Then the amount of weight your carrying around tends to add up fast.

I had a 4Runner you could not pay me enough to drive on the interstate . I doubt I ever saw 65 mph unless it was going down hill.

What kind of mileage ??

The transmission should not really effect things

Gear ratio might .

These trucks no telling what may have been done.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A turbo motor with no turbo on it will not have any power. the turbo is there for a reason. Is it really a turbo engine?
Old 05-05-2015, 09:08 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
First, if you're used to driving a V8 Dodge, no 4-cylinder '87 Toyota is going to impress you with its power. Totally different design goals.

Second, 3000 rpm is the bottom of the power band for these engines, not the top. Run it up to 4000 rpm in 3rd if you need to to maintain 60mph going up big hills. It'll love you for it, and the gas mileage will be about as good as dogging it up the hill at lower rpms.

Third, let us know the rear end ratio and the tire size - that will help determine if you're set up for best performance. Also, what mileage are you getting?

I don't know how a turbo 22re differs from a non-turbo. It could well be that the cam is significantly different to account for the expected extra boost. Also if someone just ripped out the turbo with no other mods, the ECU is probably pretty confused.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:56 AM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by thomasg
So I just picked up a 1987 Toyota pickup. It's a 4x4 with manual transmission. The trucks emblems say it's the turbo charged model but the truck doesn't have a turbo. So here's my question this thing is a major dog when you're going uphill. I'm having trouble keeping it above 55 on a 75 mph road. 4th gear with my foot on the floor will keep it at 55 but no acceleration whatsoever.
it might behave like that on a hill, but on flat ground it should be able to get up to 65+.

there are so many ways to go here... engine weak, out of tune, etc., but i think that i would first calculate the gear ratio in the rear end: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_TechI...#Differentials

then look at your tire size, and see how those ratios compare to stock.

some of these turbo rigs(4runner vs. pickup) came with automatic transmissions, and the rear end gearing was different with an auto... but who knows what gearing is in there now.