Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

New clutch not engaging, and making skreetchy noise.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New clutch not engaging, and making skreetchy noise.

So I just got back from commercial fishing and thought i'd man up and replace my clutch, everything in the process went well, i remember making sure that the clutch was flywheel side, and i did replace the throw out bearing, the pilot bearing seamed fine to me and only had about 5000 mile on it. anyhow the job i did by myself and went pretty good. I have finished about 12am since i started real late, but this morning went started the truck up after 9 months and she started right up, then i got to bleeding, i put a new slave on it, and bled everything. I have real good pressure on the clutch pedal, and clutch fork moves up and back real good. but when i engage the clutch it makes a real real loud skreetching noise, and does not engage. I have traced the hydro system and everything seems fine, I even did a bench bleed on the master. Anyhow I guess im going to have to drop it, I remember the throwout bearing being perfectly fine and spining good, but i guess its in a totally different application. But can I get any tips at all? if there are any good ways to do this one person with a floor jack, and if any of you know the cause?

Thanks in advance, I was looking forward to having it all done and being able to drive the yota, GUESS not! If worse comes to worse ill get some help tomorrow. but tips and hints are greatly appreciated. maybe something with the hydros are wrong, but i dont see why it would be making that noise.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:43 PM

also the engine shakes alot more then normal, yet I do only have one bellhousing bolt in(Yes I know, not good) but if that helps anyone with ideas, once again thanks!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:50 PM

If you only have one bellhousing bolt in, and you fired it up and tried to operate it, well, let's just say that isn't recommended procedure, LOL... You'll be lucky if you haven't broken anything.

If the bellhousing and the engine aren't aligned properly, that means your clutch disc isn't centered, and it also means that your throwout bearing is probably hitting the splines of the pressure plate assembly in a non-recommended way. The screeching could be the side of the clutch disc hitting the pressure plate assembly, or the throwout bearing, etc.

If (despite only one bolt) the bellhousing is properly aligned with the engine, I'd put in ALL of the mounting bolts, torque them properly, and then try again before pulling the engine.

If the bellhousing is not properly aligned, but you can get it straightened out (without too much force; try having someone depress the clutch when you try this), then I'd still try to put in all those bolts, and try it again before hauling it all back out.

Best of luck.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Murcielago
If you only have one bellhousing bolt in, and you fired it up and tried to operate it, well, let's just say that isn't recommended procedure, LOL... You'll be lucky if you haven't broken anything.

If the bellhousing and the engine aren't aligned properly, that means your clutch disc isn't centered, and it also means that your throwout bearing is probably hitting the splines of the pressure plate assembly in a non-recommended way. The screeching could be the side of the clutch disc hitting the pressure plate assembly, or the throwout bearing, etc.

If (despite only one bolt) the bellhousing is properly aligned with the engine, I'd put in ALL of the mounting bolts, torque them properly, and then try again before pulling the engine.

If the bellhousing is not properly aligned, but you can get it straightened out (without too much force; try having someone depress the clutch when you try this), then I'd still try to put in all those bolts, and try it again before hauling it all back out.

Best of luck.
Will do, It seems all aligned. But what do i know, its better then droppin the sun of a gun again. Thanks for the tip. ill come back with results *crossing my fingers*
Old 09-25-2013, 02:30 PM

Good luck and let me know how it goes. I'm looking at an 88 that does the same thing when the clutch is disengaged.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:21 PM

all exept what i was expecting happened. Clutch, still good. throw-out bearing still good, as i got the tranny out I have noticed while i was unbolting the PP the flywheel and pp where woobling. Right then I knew it WASNOT GOOD AT ALL. So i got the PP off and boom serious damage had happened. one bolt had snapped off, what caused this. I don't know but i am curious. any sugesstions upon how to fix this, and get the snapped bolt out? I put the flywheel bolts to torch. ill upload a picture. Im that guy who wants to half-fasts stuff. if it was me not pputting in all the bellhousing bolts. It all falls on me since i did it. but now on i wont be, my guilt towards my yota will make sure of it.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make sure when you put the pressure plat back on you put the bolts in, in a cross pattern like a tire. but tighten them down a little at a time and do like 3-4 tightening sequences so the pressure plate slides smoothly over the studs on the flywheel.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:16 PM

Yes I had done that. Im thinking the bolts where really worn from the last use. I'll be replacing them tomorrow. I'm just figuring out now weatherI'll need to get the snapped o one off and how I'll do that
Old 09-25-2013, 04:45 PM

Just keep in mind that the bolts holding your PP collectively take the force of the entire output of the engine when you floor it. Same for those bellhousing bolts. They are very important, so make sure you get a proper spec bolt to replace the broken one.

And make sure EVERYTHING is bolted down before you start the engine. But I guess you're pretty much on board with that one now, LOL...

Infinity's suggestion to bolt down the PP slowly and in a cross pattern is good advice.

Good luck!