Well the time finally came to put a new engine in the truck. I have officially retired this truck to be the hunting truck and therefore I have an excuse to put money into it…even if that only justifies it to the little lady.
So some quick background on the why I am doing all this.
About 4 months ago I was on my way up to my little cabin to cut out the never-ending supply of dead pine beetle kill trees from around the property.
It was pretty snowy still and I was towing the wood chipper to a part I cleared last summer to clear out the slash. Worked all day chipping and was on my way out when the dependable Toyota started knocking real bad. Right away I knew something was wrong. Limped back to my "workshop in the hills", which is nothing more than a large storage shed, and took the valve cover off. Everything looked fine...no obvious sings of damage and all fluids check out looking normal. So then I knew it was in the bottom end. So a couple of weeks later...towed it back to town. I am 95% sure I spun a bearing on the crank shaft.
I decided to get a complete engine from 22re Performance because they seemed to be the most knowledgeable of all the rebuilders I talked to. So I ordered it up and it arrived looking like this:
This past weekend, I finally had all my parts that I think I needed and the most important thing...the time.
The little lady was at a board meeting and I had 3 days of interrupted time to tinker.
Pulled the truck in garage to start the fun at 4:00 on Friday!
Proceeded to label everything and take things apart.
By 10:00 Firday it was ready for the next morning to pull out.
Here is the engine out by noon
Here is the new engine!
Here we are transferring parts from the old to the new.
Here is a picture of the the block and the oil pan. Note how nice the bead of sealant looks. This really shows the pride 22RE Preformance puts into their work. After seeing this, I know this will be a strong engine for many years to come.
8:00 and the engine is ready to be put back in the truck the next morning. I just had one little thing to do before I could stab it in, a quick run to SEARS to have them press off the release bearing and press the new one. I know, I should have went somewhere else, but they were the only place open on Sunday. Well I told them they CAN’T support the hub by the two dog ears to press it off. Well they came back looking white like a ghost and I knew it was not good. The guy they had do it broke the dog ears off just like I said to be careful of.
So that little screw up by the “knowledgeable mechanic” costed me an entire day and prevented me from putting my engine back in. They of course wanted to rectify the situation but they wanted to order the part from AutoZone. I had insisted the part come from Toyota and I would bring them the bill. So Monday morning I went to Toyota and ordered the part and waited patiently until it came in on Wednesday. It only came to $40.00, but they still weren’t happy but they reimbursed me for it.
So tomorrow I will finish putting in the engine and hopefully be able to start it. I will put up the final pictures tomorrow and let everyone know how it goes.