86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Needing some advice with CV axles, ZUK mod, BJ Spacers, and new shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Needing some advice with CV axles, ZUK mod, BJ Spacers, and new shocks

Alright guys, so recently I found that I had torn one of my CV axle boots. From the research I've been doing, it looks like it may be in my best interest to replace the whole CV axle. Well, while I the wheels off and everything taken apart, I figure it wouldn't be a bad idea to install some BJ spacers for a bit of added clearance. I'm still running the stock shocks on my '86 4Runner, so I figure I'll replace those while I'm under there too. Also, to level out the rear a little the ZUK mod seems like a great, simple option. Here is where my questions begin. What type of CV axles would be best to get? I do moderate wheeling, maybe 5 times a month. Also, with the BJ spacers what model of front Rancho 5000 shock would work best? Could I run stock length or would i want to get longer ones? In respect to the ZUK mod, I don't want to have to do any cutting or welding. Which springs would work best to level my 4Runner in the rear with the front suspension with BJ spacers? I already have an AAL back there but I'd like to get a few extra inches of lift. Should i get longer rear shocks when I replace the rear ones too? As you can tell I'm pretty new to all of the suspension aspects of things. Any advice would be much appreciated. Searching has helped a lot for me, but I can't seem to find any definitive answers. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...tickys-242840/

:wabbit2:
Old 06-17-2012, 02:50 PM

I personally would by new shocks all the way around and make sure that the shock application is for a 2-3 inch lift so u can have a little more flex extension from the shocks. I went with ProComp ES9000 series and theyre good for the price. As for cv axels, I just got mine from napa auto parts, which is decent and good for the price. I started off with BJ spacers, zuk mod to a 4" lift and have loved it since then but still struggling with the rear to obtain the right height. There's a ton of resources here for you, so use the "search" function or what the wabbit suggested above in the IFS guidelines.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by 4runner_guy
I personally would by new shocks all the way around and make sure that the shock application is for a 2-3 inch lift so u can have a little more flex extension from the shocks. I went with ProComp ES9000 series and theyre good for the price. As for cv axels, I just got mine from napa auto parts, which is decent and good for the price. I started off with BJ spacers, zuk mod to a 4" lift and have loved it since then but still struggling with the rear to obtain the right height. There's a ton of resources here for you, so use the "search" function or what the wabbit suggested above in the IFS guidelines.
Thanks for the advice. What coils did you use for your ZUK mod and how much lift did it give you? I've heard that the 96-97 coils work well but those are around 16", so that may be a little too much for me. Do you think 14" coils would work well for my application?
Old 06-17-2012, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by andlours
Thanks for the advice. What coils did you use for your ZUK mod and how much lift did it give you? I've heard that the 96-97 coils work well but those are around 16", so that may be a little too much for me. Do you think 14" coils would work well for my application?
I'm not sure what type of coil are in that range, but maybe try some jeep yj's? I've heard a few say that they're kinda rough on the ride quality. I used the black magic 14" 125lbs coils but that required cutting off the bump stop (the one welded on the frame) to fit it in properly. It rode very nice and gave me at least 1" above factory height. Right now the 99' 4runner coils are still riding very comfortable with good flex but my 4" inch Lift in the front is sticking up too high like a sore thumb. I still have my black magic coils if ur interested, pm me if ur interested.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the best cv's to get are the factory Toyota CV axles from another truck. I have broken 10 aftermarket axles of all types and not one factory axle. I only replaced the factory axle in the first place because the boot was torn. Now I keep an extra factory axle in the back of the truck just in case I might need it.