86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need your thoughts on tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need your thoughts on tires

I am getting ready to buy new tires for my 95 Runner with 3.0 v6 and wanted to get everyone's input. I will be sticking with the 31x10.5 but I haven't decided on exactly which tire to run. I am partial to Michelines and have been running the older generation Micheline LTX AT. I am looking at the new LTX AT2 but they don't seem nearly as meaty as the old at. I don't really do much hardcore off road, but do want to be able to go off road when I want to. I live in Coloraco, so snow is a big factor to consider when buying a tire. I would prefer not to have massive amounts of road noise. I would like to know what tires you have run and why you do or don't like them. The other tire that I am looking at is the perelli scorpion.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I run TreadWrights in 31/10.50/15 and like them.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 ? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....r+A%2FT+Revo+2
Old 11-05-2009, 01:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
General Grabber AT2

Firestone Destination AT

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2

I've done alot of research and I would personally choose the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs, lot of good reviews. For a cheaper alternative to the BFG AT KO the General Grabber AT2 gets great reviews. Now as far as the Revo's go, my moms 4Runner has them, and when they get worn down to about 50% they loose their traction Hopefully they fixed this in the new version but the Revo had a bit of highway noise, but did very good in the snow (before they wore out) and did good when it came to muddy situations.

I was going to go with the General Grabbers, but now since the DuraTrac's came out those will be going on to replace my dry rotted, worn out Wrangler RT/s tires.

Memeber racedirt1 pulled a UPS truck out in fairly deep snow with the Destination AT's, and reported good result when offroading. Not sure how they are now, but I know he really liked them.

For your situation the Grabber AT2's or Destination AT's sound like they suit your needs.

Last edited by 24Runna; 11-05-2009 at 01:46 AM. Reason: grammar- 4:30am chem exam soon...
Old 11-05-2009, 03:59 AM

i dont personally run the ATX LT2's but we sell them at work and a co-worker loves them. and he does mild off roading occasionally. VERY quiet. I run pro comp mud terrains and i love em, but they are kinda loud and rough. BFG all terrains would be your best choice. surprisingly quiet, and when i had them, they took me through some pretty hairy stuff with no problem. almost anything michelin does is last longer and ride better.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:11 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
My favorite tires, by far, have been the BFG All-Terrain T/A's.........couldn't wear them out, but after several years I had to ditch them when they finally started getting dry......replaced them with Long-Trail T/A's.....quieter but not aggressive at all.

I also have PEP-BOYS Futura Mud Terrains....cheap but wore terribly.....I think they call them Dakota Definity now (or the other way around maybe).

I currently am using my Bridgestone Duelers that originally came on my truck (yes, 18 year old tires)...a few thousand miles on them but mostly sat on the stack for years and years.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 11-05-2009 at 04:12 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
I currently am using my Bridgestone Duelers that originally came on my truck (yes, 18 year old tires)...a few thousand miles on them but mostly sat on the stack for years and years.
That's dangerous, be careful.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_expire.htm
Old 11-05-2009, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by shaeff
That's dangerous, be careful.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_expire.htm
No, actually, they are in great shape......that's why I might recommend them as a tire because they hold up to the test of time......the same test my BFG's did not hold up to.

They are not dry rotted at all. But yes, they are the tires I took off when I 1st bought the truck in October 1991 when I put 31's on....I would only mount the tires once a year to get it to pass inspection (OOPs.....the secret is out).....otherwise they sat on the stack of 3 sets of tires I have always had (winter tires and wheels, summer tires and wheels and INSPECTION tires and wheels...LOL)
Old 11-05-2009, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
General Grabbers are great tires. Inexpensive. Good tread wear. Agressive treads. Great in the snow, rain, rocks, dirt. Not too great in thick mud though. They are quite on the road. etc. I have been driving on them for 20,000 miles and so far have zero complaints. They have crawled up everything ive pointed them at so far.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:01 AM

id go with a bfg at or the bridgestone dueler revo 2
Old 11-05-2009, 07:09 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have km2 m/t right now. love em. but before i had bfg a/t. they went all over the place. great traction and treadwear.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:33 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
I have toyo A/Ts currently. pretty aggressive A/T tire, and could go alot of places... when I had tread haha
Old 11-05-2009, 07:36 AM

No, actually, they are in great shape......that's why I might recommend them as a tire because they hold up to the test of time......the same test my BFG's did not hold up to.

They are not dry rotted at all. But yes, they are the tires I took off when I 1st bought the truck in October 1991 when I put 31's on....I would only mount the tires once a year to get it to pass inspection (OOPs.....the secret is out).....otherwise they sat on the stack of 3 sets of tires I have always had (winter tires and wheels, summer tires and wheels and INSPECTION tires and wheels...LOL)
That doesn't matter, I was just warning you. Even if they're not dry rotted, it's still easy for a blow out to occur. Without cutting into the tire to examine it, you'd never know if the tire was at risk. If the tires are older than 5(?) years I think, they're at risk.

Putting them on for inspection is fine, but daily driving on tires that are that old isn't wise.

Edit- An excerpt from the link I posted earlier, I bold printed a few highlights. But still, read through it, there's good information in there.
By the way, you can't pass inspection w/ 31's? Weird! Is that just because of the area you live in?
Recent news reports about old tires failing has experts asking if tires should have expiration dates the same as many other products. Why? Because old tires are failing and killing people!

In a letter released September 22, 2003, a private safety group called Strategic Safety asked the National Highway Traffic & Safety Admin. (NHTSA) to investigate the problem of tire aging. The group says they have documented at least 20 accidents caused by old tires blowing out, 10 of which resulted in fatalities. Most of the lawsuits involving these tread separation accidents have been on tires that were six or more years old.

The group says the NHTSA should have a new rule requiring tire manufacturers to put expiration dates on all new tires.

REPLACE OLD TIRES
Strategic Safety says based on their findings, motorists should replace tires that are more than ten (10) years old, including ther spare tire.

(Note: In Europe, vehicle manufacturers typically recommend replacing tires that are more than six (6) years old.)

The group also says tire retailers should NOT sell tires that have been in storage for more than six years since the date of manufacture.

Tires deteriorate over time, even if they are not used or driven on. The tires may appear to be in like-new condition on the outside, but inside the rubber is slowly deteriorating. This may dangerously weaken the tire and increase the risk of a blowout at high speed or during hot weather.

In one such incident, the owner of a 1964 Sunbeam Tiger was returning from an antique car show. The tires only had 4,000 miles on them and looked good as new on the outside, but the tires were 11 years old. On the way home, one of the tires blew out causing the car to crash. The passenger suffered permanent brain injuries as a result of the accident.

Edit2: and for those of you wondering how to check the date of your tires:

DETERMINING TIRE DATE CODES

How old are the tires on your vehicle? The date of manufacture is indicated by the last group of digits in the DOT manufacture code on the sidewall of the tire. The number is often stamped in a recessed rectangle. The DOT code tells who manufactured the tire, where it was made and when. The last group of digits in the code is the date code that tells when the tire was made.

Before 2000, the date code had three digits. Since 2000, it has had four. The first two digits are the week of the year (01 = the first week of January). The third digit (for tires made before 2000) is the year (1 = 1991). For most tires made after 2000, the third and fourth digits are the year (04 = 2004).

In the photo, the date code is 8PY806. The 8PY is a manufacturing shift code, and the date the tire was actually made was 0806, which is the 8th week (08)in the year 2006 (06).

The date of manufacture is essential information for car owners and tire buyers because tires deteriorate even if they are not used. European automobile manufacturers recommend replacing ANY tire that is more than six (6) years old, including the spare tire. No such recommendations have yet been made by domestic vehicle manufacturers

It's all in that link I posted.

Last edited by shaeff; 11-05-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by yota4runna
Lots of people run these and swear by them:

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs...t-a-ko/44.html

I like these Generals. Almost the same tread design, but maybe a little quieter on the road. Great in the snow. Also, they're rated at 640 for treadwear. Open this link and click on "sizes & specs":

http://www.generaltire.com/tires/T5/Grabber-ATsup2-sup

GENERAL..........I've got them on my 2500HD diesel and on my '91 V6 yota...........they pull like hell and I've got 20K on them on my diesel and they will at least go another 30K out of them
Old 11-05-2009, 10:20 AM

SHAEFF......thanks for the info.

31's on my rims (15x8 with a decent offset I guess) stick out greater than 2''.....equals a violation........drove around for alost 18 years like that until June of this year I got pulled over. I congratulated the Trooper (he actually was pretty cool and a Toyota guy too) and he let me slide. But I didn't want to be a d**k so I took the 31's off until I can get flares.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:22 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I run cooper Discoverer S/T's..
They've got a pretty aggressive tread that will last a while.. I have about 20k on mine, and i'm at about 50-60% tread life left.
The only times i got stuck last year in the snow was because i was on the framerails in the snow..
Old 11-05-2009, 10:45 AM

I recently just bought some of goodyears wrangler duratracs because of the snow rating and because they're a pretty beefy looking tire. As far as noise goes, they are quiet. I couldnt be happier and they were a lot cheaper than anything les schwab had in the 31x10.5 that was snow rated. Here is a pic of what they look like on my rig.

On top of getting a good tire for a pretty good price, i also got them for 12 months no interest which is great for me since i just graduated college and cant find a job in this damn economy.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive been seeing alot of those goodyears around. Not only do they look great but I hear they do well off road.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:15 AM

They should do pretty well off road, they got a 9/10 for off road traction and a 10/10 for snow traction. I havnt tested them off road yet.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:24 AM

SHAEFF......thanks for the info.

31's on my rims (15x8 with a decent offset I guess) stick out greater than 2''.....equals a violation........drove around for alost 18 years like that until June of this year I got pulled over. I congratulated the Trooper (he actually was pretty cool and a Toyota guy too) and he let me slide. But I didn't want to be a d**k so I took the 31's off until I can get flares.
No problem. I'd just hate to see more people become statistics. The likelihood of it happening might be slim, but hey, ya never know!

And I gotcha, the laws are the same way here, I just forgot because I've never been hassled for my tires sticking out beyond the fenders.