86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need verification on changing auto trans & Tcase fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need verification on changing auto trans & Tcase fluid

On my 92 4runner, auto transmission, I want to change the trans fluid and the transfer case fluid.

As I understand, all I do is pull the drain plug on the transmission AND on the transfer case. There is a drain plug for both.

Then on the trans, pull pan and change filter.

Now I put both drain plugs back in and only fill thru the auto trans dip stick? Do I need to put any ATF into the transfer case or will it get in there from the transmission?
Old 07-27-2006, 03:05 PM

Brian, are you 100% sure about this? My 4runner has an automatic transmission, not a manual transmission. Unless I mis understood something, I thought it was ATF in the transfer case with an automatic trans.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure your automatic does not use gear oil in the transfer case (but i've been wrong quite often).

IIRC there was another member (snap-on perhaps) with a similar question as to how to refill. Try and search for that as I can't remember off hand what the consensus was.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mastacox
You should read your manual, but I think it's highly unlikely that the T-case takes ATF, I'm 99% sure it takes gear oil. I may have a manual transmission, but the T-case on a manual and auto are the same. Also, the tranny and t-case are not linked with fluid, they are separate. Why would you need ATF in it if they had separate fillers?

Dude, somebody may jump in but I'm betting it takes 80W90 just like your diffs.
Nope, you're wrong on this one Brian, you owe Yotatech a box of doughnuts, the 3.0 auto transfer case is different and it does take ATF.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Nope, you're wrong on this one Brian, you owe Yotatech a box of doughnuts, the 3.0 auto transfer case is different and it does take ATF.
That is frickin wierd...

The 3rd gens use gear oil in their T-Cases...

No doughnuts, but I will become a contributing member I suppose lol (was planning on it anyway, I want to be able to be the "featured rig").

Last edited by mastacox; 07-27-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

I deleted my incorrect info so no one accidentally gets the wrong idea.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
In regards to the proper fluids for your vehicle, you should consult your owner's manual for the vehicle or a FSM.

You'd be surprised what is supposed to go where...specifically power steering fluid...it is NOT recommended in the power steering reservoir of 1st gens...and should you put it in there assuming that it is correct...your ps pump will leak like a balloon at a porcupine festival. ATF w/ Dextron (sp) is recommended for the power steering reservoir on my 1st gens.

Owner's manuals are your friends.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
In regards to the proper fluids for your vehicle, you should consult your owner's manual for the vehicle or a FSM.

You'd be surprised what is supposed to go where...specifically power steering fluid...it is NOT recommended in the power steering reservoir of 1st gens...and should you put it in there assuming that it is correct...your ps pump will leak like a balloon at a porcupine festival. ATF w/ Dextron (sp) is recommended for the power steering reservoir on my 1st gens.

Owner's manuals are your friends.

10-4 on that. Also frickin wierd, BTW...

Man, I'm learning a lot in just a few posts.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

Note to self:

Read manual for new 3rd gen BEFORE you screw something up
Old 07-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You should fill the transfer case with ATF seperately.

It takes 1.2 litres. I don't know what that is in quarts.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Marc
You should fill the transfer case with ATF seperately.

It takes 1.2 litres. I don't know what that is in quarts.
That's 1.268 quarts.

There, I actually helped a little
Old 07-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

and your trans doesnt have a filter, just a screen. if you are dropping the pan, search out bamachems posts for how to flush out the torque converter. i think the wabbit may have something on his site as well.

lee
Old 07-27-2006, 07:59 PM

Okay EVERYONE, thank you for the info, even you too Brian! LOL

First I'll say I don't have the owners manual, bought it used and no manual. I do have a Haynes and it's very general and basic but does say in the specs something to the affect that with auto transmission, tcase takes AFT. So that's understood.

So I remove the drain plug on both the trans and the Tcase. The Tcase even has it's own little "pan" with the drain plug just like the transmission. I did not remove the Tcase pan.

So I start to fill the trans thru the dip stick tube. I get about 3 1/2 quarts in and then start the engine and run it though all the gears. Then I check fluid and it needs more as I assumed.

When I drain both trans and Tcase (I forgot and drained them both into the same drain pan at the same time.) I took out about 5 1/4 quarts. So After I got 4 quarts in the dip stick tube, I made sure I checked the level after every few onces. It ended up taking right at 5 1/4 quarts, just like I took out. But I wasn't sure about the Tcase as I hadn't added any to that at all.

So I pull off the plug (not the drain plug but the filler plug) and stuck my finger in and felt warm (hot) fluid. But I wanted to make sure, so I got a small hose and tried to add more, It wouldn't take any more at all, as soon as I pumped some in, it ran right back out.

I took it for a test drive, about a mile, and then check both fluids again. The trans dip stick was right on and I could feel the fluid in the tcase with my finger and it's nice and bright red, not dark like it was when I drained it.

Someone said to add the Tcase fluid separately, but I didn't have to. Did I do this correctly or did I screw something up. Again, both the fluids in the trans and Tcase are full and bright red .
Old 07-28-2006, 01:39 AM

Tranny has two pans with two drain plugs. Drain and refill should take alittle over 5 litres. Although transfer case and tranny are one unit you will have to undo fill plug first located on the back of the transfer case. Then drain plug on the very bottom.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by frankjake

Someone said to add the Tcase fluid separately, but I didn't have to. Did I do this correctly or did I screw something up. Again, both the fluids in the trans and Tcase are full and bright red .
That's interesting, how are you checking the t-case level? Are you using the fill plug on the rear side about where the rear drive shaft comes out?
Old 07-28-2006, 05:13 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Yes....that is very interesting, Frank. Looks like you did everything right. Although I bet the filter was/is dirty....especially considering your fluid was dark. Is it possible that those were "factory fluids" that drained out? A scary thought. The previous owners before you might never have changed it.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by frankjake

So I pull off the plug (not the drain plug but the filler plug) and stuck my finger in and felt warm (hot) fluid. But I wanted to make sure, so I got a small hose and tried to add more, It wouldn't take any more at all, as soon as I pumped some in, it ran right back out.
That sounds right then, what is interesting to me is I didn't know the ATF would flow to the t-case, but I never serviced the two at the sametime before. But I have noticed before when looking at the cross-section of the A340H tranny/transfer case unit there does appear to be a complete sharing of fluid. See here: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...27descript.pdf

BTW here is the whole 93 truck FSM: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...fsm/index.html
Old 07-28-2006, 05:42 AM
Contributing Member

Been thinking about this some more in light of Franks discovery, I think the best way to do a drain and fill ATF change on this A340H tranny would be to remove all 3 drain plugs and drain, then replace and refill, but I'd still refill the t-case seperate just to minimize the time running without ATF.

Of course still the best way to completely change over the ATF would be a tranny flush machine. http://www.gadgetonline.com/TransFlush.htm

Last edited by mt_goat; 07-28-2006 at 05:44 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:16 AM

I agree with Mt Goat. There are actually two drain plugs for the tcase, the one on the smaller pan and then the lower one on the rear of the tcase below the filler plug. I did NOT take off the lower plug, my mistake in thinking it would all drain out the smaller pan. Next time, I remove all three plugs, then refill both the tcase and the trans separately and see if I notice any difference in the amount of fluid used.

The fluid that came out was NOT burnt and only slightly darker than the new. It looks like the pan was recently removed as the gasket material looks like new, even the part that squished out on the outside. It looks like the previous owner took pretty good care of the vehicle, everything looks real good under the hood, nothing appeares to have been neglected.

Thanks again guys for all the info.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:45 PM

"BTW here is the whole 93 truck FSM: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-...3fsm/index.html"

Mt Goat, is there a website with the complete FSM for my 95 Runner? I've searched, but found nada.

Thanks,

WGMMIV

Quick Reply: Need verification on changing auto trans & Tcase fluid