86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need troubleshooting help, fresh ideas needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 08:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Need troubleshooting help, fresh ideas needed

I am working on a 1989 4runner 3.0. The engine has 600 miles on a full rebuild. Out 4wheelin and the number one cylinder died. Troubleshooting done so far; checked for spark at the plug, at the wire and at the cap and ohmed out wire, all good, also replaced cap. Removed each wire from the cap one by one while running, on all cylinders there was a heavy RPM drop except the number one there was no change. So #1 has spark but no fire. Cycle tested fuel injector and it is clicking but only reading 12.2 ohm, checked all six and the are all 12.2 and they cycle. The injectors are all new four hole name brand injectors. Ran a compression test on all cylinders and all running the same 135 psi, rings not fully seated yet, tested cold after sitting for a week and seal on gauge slightly leaking because I cant tighten the line all the way in the hole. Pulled and replaced plug with new, ran engine and pulled plug again, but plug is bone dry. Did this 9 times and the plug is still dry. Borescoped cylinder, walls still are clean and cross hatch pattern still there, no evidence of impact on cylinder, no shiny spots, surface is all consistent, and no cylinder glazing. Checked camshaft and all lobes measure out the same, no scratches or galling present. Fuel rails are getting good pressure and flow.
My only assumption is the injector is clogged or the needle in the injector has fallen off, if that is even possible. I don't now that the engine module or distributor magnetic pick up could kill just on cylinder, they usually just stop working all together.
Any one have any ideas? Help
Old 10-16-2016, 02:42 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just because something is new does not mean things can`t fail

The 4wheeling cause some dirt to come loose plugging number one injector.

Lots of line up stream from the filter

Break out your noid lights see if that injector is getting the signal to fire .
Old 10-16-2016, 07:50 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
At this point I am going to have to agree. I know there is signal, I can hear it clicking when I put my stethoscope on it. I am going to contact the manufacture on Monday. The injectors have a five year warranty and I am out of things to try. It makes sense there could be a dislodged piece of dirt since the #1 is where fuel backs up to cross over to the other rail.
Will update as I get new data!
Thanks for the response!