86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need pics of A/C on 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need pics of A/C on 3.0

Please help as I am about to install a full A/C system off a '95 4Runner, into my '93 truck, both are 4x4, 3.0, 5spd.

Does anybody know if there are any differences in the A/C systems from these two years? I know of the obvious one, '93's used R-12, and '95's used R-134 (the main reason why I am getting the stuff from a '95, I want a R-134 system, and not a converted R-12 system) Would the wiring that is already in my truck be any different?

I've looked at the FSM and parts lists, and the install instructions for a kit from Ackits.com (thought about ordering from them, but found a used oem step for half, and it's all toyota) all of them are pretty vauge about what goes where, the ackits instructions actually had some pretty good info, the drawings pretty much suck in all of them

I would appriciate any pics that you can post of stock systems on '93s and '95s with the 3.0 and 5spd and 4wd

Thanks in advance
Old 04-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you already bought the 95 stuff, I'd just use the 95 compressor and keep all the rest of the 93 system in place with maybe the exception of the condensor. The 4runners have a extra condensor cooling fan so the wiring must be slightly different. If you haven't bought the 95 system, I'd just have an AC shop do a conversion on the 93 system. But either way you go I'd have the AC shop pull a vacumum on the system and change out the receiver/dryer with a new one just before you recharge it. They will need to change the fittings over to R134 and add some new R-134 oil. If you use the 93 condensor have them blow out the R-12 oil from it. The shop that did mine said the R-12 oil is heavier and any residue left in the system will just settle in the low places and cause no problems.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
If you already bought the 95 stuff, I'd just use the 95 compressor and keep all the rest of the 93 system in place with maybe the exception of the condensor. The 4runners have a extra condensor cooling fan so the wiring must be slightly different. If you haven't bought the 95 system, I'd just have an AC shop do a conversion on the 93 system. But either way you go I'd have the AC shop pull a vacumum on the system and change out the receiver/dryer with a new one just before you recharge it. They will need to change the fittings over to R134 and add some new R-134 oil. If you use the 93 condensor have them blow out the R-12 oil from it. The shop that did mine said the R-12 oil is heavier and any residue left in the system will just settle in the low places and cause no problems.
I guess I should have explained my situation better, my truck didn't come with A/C, and thats the main reason for doing this, if it already had it, I would probably go the route you mentioned, thanks for bringing up the additional cooling fan, I forgot that the 4runners had those, do you think it would be an issue if I just removed that?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll probably find that the evaporator unit is not going to easily fit in the location behind the glove box. The evaporator for R-134 is a bigger unit, and the duct work was changed somewhat to accomodate it. The wiring for it is probably not going to be plug and play, either. These are not insurmountable problems, but just be aware of them.

Another issue that you might run into is that the R-134 condenser is also taller than the R-12 unit. I had to cut away some of the sheet metal horizontal support in front of the radiator to make room for it in my truck.

My project is in conjunction with my 3.4 project, so I have a Tacoma compressor, '95 4Runner condenser, drier, and plumbing, and I plan to get an R-12 evaporator to attach to the system, so that I have one that fits better. I'm looking forward to having A/C in my truck for the first time, too!
Old 04-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by b.miller123
I forgot that the 4runners had those, do you think it would be an issue if I just removed that?
No, the 4runners use them because there is so much more interior space to cool which puts more load on the system.

Yeah minor detail you left out, Since your truck has no system now that makes it much harder. I'd look at the electrical wiring diagrams (EWDs) for both vehicles and see if there are differences between years/models on the in cab wiring, some connectors may be different and need to be rewired slightly. Other than that should just be a matter of installing everything, then clearing the system and recharging. Hope you kept all the openings on everything sealed up. Can't have any dust or moisture in the system. And make sure to get the new dryer/receiver and install right before recharging.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:17 PM

Yeah, i will definately be looking at the wiring diagrams, I just haven't found anywhere online that has them, I can justify buying the book for my truck as I plan on keeping it for a while, but I would rather find somewhere online that has one for the '95 4runner. I haven't bought anything yet, so maybe it would just be easier to buy the aftermarket kit as it is made for my truck, and it's also designed for R-134(I have to double check, but I would assume that nobody is going through the work of buying R-12 components and converting them, just to sell in kits, but who knows?) and everything is new and I think they've got a warranty of some kind
Old 04-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by b.miller123
Yeah, i will definately be looking at the wiring diagrams, I just haven't found anywhere online that has them, I can justify buying the book for my truck as I plan on keeping it for a while, but I would rather find somewhere online that has one for the '95 4runner. I haven't bought anything yet, so maybe it would just be easier to buy the aftermarket kit as it is made for my truck, and it's also designed for R-134(I have to double check, but I would assume that nobody is going through the work of buying R-12 components and converting them, just to sell in kits, but who knows?) and everything is new and I think they've got a warranty of some kind
Try here for the EWDs:
http://search.ebscohost.com/Login.as...uthtype=ip,uid
user= user
password=password
The auto repair reference center is at the bottom of the first page
Old 04-26-2007, 07:35 PM

thanks dale, they have pretty much everything there i need, I decided to go the aftermarket route, I'm buying breknraj's kit that he never used, but the diagrams will definately help if i run into trouble,
THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS! GOTTA LOVE THIS SITE!